Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Chevy PU 1/2 Ton to 1.5 Ton Frame Differences?

I'm working on the Revell '41 Chevy pickup kit, and specifically upgrading it to a heavier-duty 1.5 ton version, with the 160" wheelbase and dual rear wheels. I have looked at the GM Heritage site's drawings and info, and I know the frame rails were extended in length and had some L-shaped material added compared to the 3/4 ton Special truck's frame rails, but were new, unique frame rails made specifically for the 134.5" and 160" wheelbase trucks? Or was the additional length and height added, either by welding or riveting (or both?) extra material to the 3/4 ton Special truck's frame?

Below are the cross-sections of the frame rails for the LWB trucks, if that helps.

Pic #1 appears to show the L-shaped piece added to the side of the slightly thicker (7/32" thick) framerails of the H.D. 3/4 ton Special.. Is it that simple, just add an L-shaped piece on the outside of the existing framerails? How were the two attached?

WP_20180110_001.jpg

Here's the 50" frame extension for the 160" w.b. option. Are the frame rails the same dimension in this 50" section as where they butt against the existing framerails? I can see the frame starts to taper a little bit forward of the front of the rear leaf springs, but I don't see any cross sectional dimensions for any other section of the frame.

WP_20180110_003.jpg

I did note the 3/4 Special an larger trucks use a slightly larger (in wall thickness, overall height and width, too) frame rail, so to be correct the rails would need to be modified in all dimensions. Below are two trucks showing the general direction I'm headed:

1946_chevrolet_truck_1___1__2_ton_dually_tilt_bed__runs_well_1_lgw.jpg

3534415587_8b5ae0c72e_o.jpg

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, RAT-T said:

CASEY, ANY INDICATION THAT THE NOSE ON THESE SIZE TRUCKS WERE A BIT LONGER? 

NO, NONE THAT I SAW NOR READ. THE FRONT FENDER WHEEL ARCHES ARE DEFINITELY ENLARGED, THOUGH, AND THE LEADING EDGE/LOWER FRONT CORNERS OF THE FENDERS ARE TRIMMED BACK, TOO.

8 hours ago, RAT-T said:

CASEY, ANY INDICATION THAT THE NOSE ON THESE SIZE TRUCKS WERE A BIT LONGER? 

No, I have a document saved that I found somewhere that gives the cab dimensions for light and medium duty GM trucks 1941-55.

The 41-46 Art Deco style truck cabs did not change between the 1/2 ton and larger models except for opening the wheel arches to allow the use of larger wheels.

The 1947-55 Advanced Design trucks did change on the 1 1/2 ton and larger trucks. The fenders were a couple of inches longer, wider, and taller. The hood was also longer to match the fenders. From the firewall back the cab remained the same as on the smaller trucks. 

Edited by Aaronw

10 hours ago, Casey said:

NO, NONE THAT I SAW NOR READ. THE FRONT FENDER WHEEL ARCHES ARE DEFINITELY ENLARGED, THOUGH, AND THE LEADING EDGE/LOWER FRONT CORNERS OF THE FENDERS ARE TRIMMED BACK, TOO.

3 hours ago, Aaronw said:

No, I have a document saved that I found somewhere that gives the cab dimensions for light and medium duty GM trucks 1941-55.

The 41-46 Art Deco style truck cabs did not change between the 1/2 ton and larger models except for opening the wheel arches to allow the use of larger wheels.

The 1947-55 Advanced Design trucks did change on the 1 1/2 ton and larger trucks. The fenders were a couple of inches longer, wider, and taller. The hood was also longer to match the fenders. From the firewall back the cab remained the same as on the smaller trucks. 

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS, I HAVE A TWO 47-53 RESIN CABS I GOT FROM HERB DEEKS THAT HAVE THE EXTENDED NOSE, I BELIEVE HE SAID WERE 1 1/2 TO 2 1/2 TON, GOOD INFO AARON, THANKS

Casey, have you looked at the Stovebolt page? That is a huge reference for old GM trucks, I would be surprised if there isn't something showing the chassis details you are looking for. There are a pile of technical discussions and documents, and a members gallery showing their trucks. There is a "Big Bolts" section specifically for the 1 1/2 ton and larger trucks.

https://www.stovebolt.com/

I managed to find some pics online showing the frame a little better/more clearly (well, at least the frame wasn't obscured), but I don't want to put all my faith in one 77 year old truck in case this frame was modified from how it was made at the factory. It does appear the taller added frame piece has a rather abrupt step, but the piece appears to continue along the entire length of the frame rail...at least that's how I'm planning to create mine.

41ch2.jpg.1e2e7203aa5967d49a72b34d99692d03.jpg

41ch1.jpg.88301d02b0274a44a0de8c6d5d27b480.jpg

On 2/3/2018 at 11:03 PM, Casey said:

I managed to find some pics online showing the frame a little better/more clearly (well, at least the frame wasn't obscured), but I don't want to put all my faith in one 77 year old truck in case this frame was modified from how it was made at the factory. It does appear the taller added frame piece has a rather abrupt step, but the piece appears to continue along the entire length of the frame rail...at least that's how I'm planning to create mine.

41ch2.jpg.1e2e7203aa5967d49a72b34d99692d03.jpg

41ch1.jpg.88301d02b0274a44a0de8c6d5d27b480.jpg

I have a real 1946 Chevy 1 1/2 ton stake body truck. It has the same cab as a 1/2 ton or even the 2 1/2 ton truck. The front fenders are larger with a larger radius cut out for the tires, and the 2 1/2 ton truck has an even larger radius cutout than the 1 1/2 ton version. The wheelbase of my truck is the 134 1/2 version and does not have the added on vertical reinforcement plate as shown in the photos above in the quoted post. If there any photos, or measurements that you need, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a pic of a '46 Chevy 1.5 ton truck, showing the frame rails a little better, though his truck appears to have an aftermarket tilt/flatbed added, so who knows what's been changed:

46chevytruck.jpg.48f4d9a027c9b0966222cbf13c9dea4b.jpg

46chevytruck2.jpg.060135e613be033ac7e884a1c86ed796.jpg

Edited by Casey