Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 365GTS/4 Daytona Spyder

Twokidsnosleep

6 minutes ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Hello I am finally making something again....my F40 and 911 have been zapping my mojo, so I thought I would try this oneIMG_2070.thumb.JPG.bad1c52bcdd74b2bf11ab693739b655c.JPG

IMG_2071.thumb.JPG.0057a4c13a1b0c433b573d70ace70c59.JPG

Broken roof and a ton of sprues. The Fujimi detail kits are quite something

IMG_2072.thumb.JPG.1c9bf1cfb12e2dcb4e7856827b0d247a.JPG

This is the goal

IMG_3414.JPG.86aa6ed9232ff40c4ecb1f05a5c137bc.JPG

IMG_3417.PNG.2538539ecf6a15636596dc8ad53e73f6.PNG

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_3413.PNG

That is my absolute favorite car. I built the coupe a long time ago. I am looking forward to seeing this one.

Some spoon tests for the paint layer combos

IMG_3466.thumb.JPG.c1ad32f65f1c832ee951b4beff725420.JPG

Primed her in Tamiya flat yellow to help the red pop...she looks pretty good and the engine drive train done

IMG_3461.thumb.JPG.2e351775d6c00187aa3ef9220e7c8a9a.JPG

Rolling chassis done. Good engineering on Fujimi's part for a 1988 kit

IMG_2097.thumb.JPG.a8849c65375939c6a6bac559250de4b1.JPG

Mmm I am liking the yellow, maybe I should leave it that colour??? 

IMG_2096.thumb.JPG.9f9e44098fc09396d37eaa3f39017565.JPG

Ok this post will bring us up to date

Have the first layer of Tamiya red on her. Plan on a second coat and then X22 Tamiya clear and maybe a wax job

The roof line is still a bit f'd up and I took out the side curtain supports so I have to scratch them and add those in.

Really like the knockoff mags with the Ferrari stickers

IMG_2103.thumb.JPG.40b5fb3be50bc2e4635214d3bfa2cdc9.JPGIMG_3468.thumb.JPG.7cd5296a74e0b90afe81ba9a4302df66.JPG

She's a hot little red headed number, no?

God I bet the real car is just an absolute blast to drive...a 12 cylinder go cart!!!

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Looking BEAUTIFUL!!

5 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Looking really good!  Yellow looks good on it as well. I have the coupe in the stash and plan on yellow when I get to it.

I'll follow this one closely.

Thanks,

Thanks to both of you!

Dann brought me back here. Have not really been on site since we lost Harry and been building other subjects..Space Shuttles, aircraft, helicopters

So good to be back

8 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Looking great. Curious to know what you used for the engine paints? 

Engine block is a Mr Hobby super silver spray over Badger white primer

Black is Badger Stylenrez

Blue Tamiya oil filters and flat white headers

Mig Dark wash over everything..that is the real secret to make it look a bit more realistic

I think that was it

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

13 hours ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Holy crumb, this kit is like $150 on eBay!!! Man, I should have sold the sucker rather than hack it up like I have ;)

Carry on and keep hacking!!! Somebody's ASKING $150. I just saw a listing at that price. Somebody else is asking $180 for the Daytona Speciale version of this kit, which is your kit with a hardtop included.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...check the eBay "Completed Items."  Your exact kit recently sold for $23.80 and $39.99, both offered as Buy It Now. The Speciale hardtop recently sold for  $20.50 with 8 bids.

I was recently watching a Speciale kit "Buy It Now" priced at $27.00 with free shipping.  I dithered around and missed it.  Your beautiful build really makes me wish I'd snagged it. So now I'll have to go find one.  Which won't be hard, these kits are listed all the time. 

Very clean build. I'm impressed. And jealous...

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Carry on and keep hacking!!! Somebody's ASKING $150. I just saw a listing at that price. Somebody else is asking $180 for the Daytona Speciale version of this kit, which is your kit with a hardtop included.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...check the eBay "Completed Items."  Your exact kit recently sold for $23.80 and $39.99, both offered as Buy It Now. The Speciale hardtop recently sold for  $20.50 with 8 bids.

I was recently watching a Speciale kit "Buy It Now" priced at $27.00 with free shipping.  I dithered around and missed it.  Your beautiful build really makes me wish I'd snagged it. So now I'll have to go find one.  Which won't be hard, these kits are listed all the time. 

Very clean build. I'm impressed. And jealous...

Yes, it does pay to shop around a bit...would NEVER pay that much either. 

I did buy a yellow Fujimi Dino the other night just so I could duplicate the yellow primer layer

I don't even recall it having the folded uptop! It's been so long, were you hoping to get another uptop? I can search for it if that's what you meant?

I see that you are painting it red too, over yellow primer as they do in the factory, cool! I didn't do that way back when I built mine. I did try to flock the dash, then spray a few coats of dullcoat over it to lessen the effect a bit as the real ones had "mouse fur" on the dash top.

Edited by dino246gt
Added more text

17 hours ago, landman said:

Hey Scott, that is a great build. I am fascinated by the seats. Can you explain how you did them?

Sorry, I missed your comment. The seats, righto

They were primed Badger Gelb Yellow and then a Tamiya tan with a smidgen of white added until I was happy with the "English leather" look

Now pay attention as this step is very technique sensitive.....I used a fine tip sharpie for the black lines:D

Was going to do a surface wash, but the flat tan has a nice leather texture IMHO and the black would run with the wash

Currently doing the black PE seat belts ...and cutting my fingers in the process!!!!!

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

1 hour ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Sorry, I missed your comment. The seats, righto

They were primed Badger Gelb Yellow and then a Tamiya tan with a smidgen of white added until I was happy with the "English leather" look

Now pay attention as this step is very technique sensitive.....I used a fine tip sharpie for the black lines:D

Was going to do a surface wash, but the flat tan has a nice leather texture IMHO and the black would run with the wash

Currently doing the black PE seat belts ...and cutting my fingers in the process!!!!!

Thank you sir. Have a nice evening.