Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who makes this die cast?

T.Henry

I'm a huge fan of 1940 Fords. 

My co worker sent me this picture he found online. I suspect the manufacturer brand was there, but it was blured. 

he says it was on Facebook, just like this. Since I'm not on Facebook, I can only wonder. 

Does anyone know who makes it? What scale is it?

Have the Franklin Mint, and the body is not half as good as this one proportion wise. 

Would really love to get one of those!!

1235543215646651.jpg

Things like this bug me when they look familiar. Couldn't find it among die casts in a Google image search, and since I like '40 Fords myself, I thought I'd also rummage through an image search of them right here at MCM.

Bingo:  scroll down to the "outdoor pics" in Túlio "Lovefordgalaxie" Lazzaroni's #1 post here. I didn't go more than 2 pages into Túlio's Flickr photo pile (my obsolete iMac really bogs down in such sites), but if he built a blue version, then somebody has only photo-swirled the Motorcraft sign in the background and his studio tag in the lower left.

I'm the "manufacturer"... 

Well, the builder if you will. The manufacturer is Revell. It's not a die cast it's a built model kit. 

Not saying it was you Thomas, but someone downloaded the picture, probably from Facebook, and messed it up where I put my water mark. 

I wish people weren't so dishonest. I have no problem with one saving one of my pictures, but I do have a problem when they modify it, and repost somewhere else without I having a clue of where and why.

I really want to know where your friend found the picture.

Here is the original, and a few more: 

39670851421_4b637c92e0_c.jpg1940 Ford Business Coupe V8 by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

39670846891_835f4dafbf_c.jpg1940 Ford Business Coupe V8 by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

38754800575_77accca44b_c.jpg1940 Ford Business Coupe V8 by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Oh boy, that some awesome build you have there Túlio. 

I'm very sorry about this. I got the picture on my e-mail, and never imagined it was a built model kit. 

The guy who sent me the picture found it on a private, or closed group on Facebook, about antique cars. He already asked for the picture to be removed. 

Can I ask what paint did you use? Was it spray painted? What did you use for primer? The finish is unbelievable!! I asked about the kit at my hobby shop, and sure enough they had one, but it's by Monogram. 

I opened the box when got hone, and it has quite a lot of parts. The frame is in multiple parts, like the real one!! 

I'll try to build it. Just have to. 

P.S. Me desculpe novamente pelo mau entendido. Realmente não se pode confiar em fotos com claras tentativas de esconder algo. Eu deveria ter descartado a foto quando vi que estava borrada, mas gosto tanto do carro, que arrisquei perguntar aqui. Desculpe novamente. 

15 hours ago, T.Henry said:

Oh boy, that some awesome build you have there Túlio. 

I'm very sorry about this. I got the picture on my e-mail, and never imagined it was a built model kit. 

The guy who sent me the picture found it on a private, or closed group on Facebook, about antique cars. He already asked for the picture to be removed. 

Can I ask what paint did you use? Was it spray painted? What did you use for primer? The finish is unbelievable!! I asked about the kit at my hobby shop, and sure enough they had one, but it's by Monogram. 

I opened the box when got hone, and it has quite a lot of parts. The frame is in multiple parts, like the real one!! 

I'll try to build it. Just have to. 

P.S. Me desculpe novamente pelo mau entendido. Realmente não se pode confiar em fotos com claras tentativas de esconder algo. Eu deveria ter descartado a foto quando vi que estava borrada, mas gosto tanto do carro, que arrisquei perguntar aqui. Desculpe novamente. 

Not a problem at all. 

On Facebook I tend to avoid completely the Brazilian groups about 1:1 classic cars, as the owners are of the know-it-all kind, and those groups tend to be massive lying contests. You living in Brasil, you know what I mean. The guys with a little more cash, just enough to have a classic car, tend to think they are rich, and superior to everybody else. They don't like to recognize others for anything if his or hers political view is different from theirs. If someone like that does something they like, they just lie, and or adulterate pictures to hide the true author. I use to call them pobres de direita, coxinhas ou recalcados. 

On the '40 Ford, the paint I used was automotive synthetic enamel, from Lazzuril, custom mixed, and applied with airbrush. Yes, I use a primer to seal the plastic from the automotive paint. It's usually spray by Lukscolor, or Colorgin. It's their white primer for luminous paint, that is designed to protect Styrofoam.   

Oh Túlio I hear you brother. 

I have a '73 Maverick Super Luxo with a 302, that I like a lot. The car is far from perfect, and it needs a paint job. I focused on rebuilding the engine, and the automatic transmission first thing after getting the car, and those things are super expensive, as all parts are imported from the U.S.The paint comes off of the car when you rub your hand on it. To make things worse, the car is white (branco nevasca) and that makes the primer on the corners to stand out like a neon sign. 

Guys at car shows kind of ignore me because the car is not "perfect". And boy, those shows are all about bragging about their super rare cars with 1.000.000 units production runs, and that came to Brazil in huge numbers, like the super rare 1951 Chevrolets, or 1949 Fords. 

Don't even get me started on cars with the beloved "black plates" that are anything but original. 

Tried to be part of a club, but gave out in a hurry. 

Yes, i'm familiar with the therm coxinha. Those are the guys that ruined Brazil in 2016 with the coup, and it was a coup. Now our country is a mess. And I say our country, because even tough I'm American, I lived here most of my life, I love Brazil, and consider it my second nationality.  

Tomorrow I'm going to get the Colorgin white primer you said. 

Ford the Lazzuril paint I'll have to go to a 1:1 car paint shop right? Once I did a little touch up on the wife's car, so I know they mix the paint and can put it into a spray can if desired. Do you think it will work OK? I have no airbrush yet. 

By the way, do you have any classic cars? The 1:1 scale kind? I beat if you have it's a Galaxie. 

Thanks for your help my friend. 

22 hours ago, Bucky said:

Túlio, I've seen real cars at shows that didn't look this nice! Beautifully done, sir!!

Thanks a lot Keith!! Appreciated. 

14 hours ago, T.Henry said:

Oh Túlio I hear you brother. 

I have a '73 Maverick Super Luxo with a 302, that I like a lot. The car is far from perfect, and it needs a paint job. I focused on rebuilding the engine, and the automatic transmission first thing after getting the car, and those things are super expensive, as all parts are imported from the U.S.The paint comes off of the car when you rub your hand on it. To make things worse, the car is white (branco nevasca) and that makes the primer on the corners to stand out like a neon sign. 

Guys at car shows kind of ignore me because the car is not "perfect". And boy, those shows are all about bragging about their super rare cars with 1.000.000 units production runs, and that came to Brazil in huge numbers, like the super rare 1951 Chevrolets, or 1949 Fords. 

Don't even get me started on cars with the beloved "black plates" that are anything but original. 

Tried to be part of a club, but gave out in a hurry. 

Yes, i'm familiar with the therm coxinha. Those are the guys that ruined Brazil in 2016 with the coup, and it was a coup. Now our country is a mess. And I say our country, because even tough I'm American, I lived here most of my life, I love Brazil, and consider it my second nationality.  

Tomorrow I'm going to get the Colorgin white primer you said. 

Ford the Lazzuril paint I'll have to go to a 1:1 car paint shop right? Once I did a little touch up on the wife's car, so I know they mix the paint and can put it into a spray can if desired. Do you think it will work OK? I have no airbrush yet. 

By the way, do you have any classic cars? The 1:1 scale kind? I beat if you have it's a Galaxie. 

Thanks for your help my friend. 

Thomas, I agree with you 100% 

Drive your Maverick, and work on her as you can, and just ignore the guys that detract from your car. You and me both know a V8 Maverick in Brasil costs way, way more than a '51 Chevy or a '49 Ford those guys brag about. It's a awesome car, and will never loose value. 

On the paint, you will have to have it mixed the color you wish at a 1:1 car paint shop, yes. The spray can system is from Sherwin Williams, the makers of the Lazzuril paint, so it won't be a problem to have the color you want in a spray can. I would do it if I didn't have an airbrush. 

On the airbrush, there is an excellent topic here on the forum about it, it's on the general section. 

I use a simple Badger 350 single action to paint bodies. Only use the dual action to paint small parts, and things like engine blocks. 

If you get the airbrush, and decide to shoot automotive synthetic enamel paint, be sure to dilute it with Sherwin Williams Redutor Para esmalte Sintético 410. It will greatly improve the gloss, and reduce the drying time, as it will also make the paint a lot more resistant than when using regular 2750 or 3020 enamel thinner. 

Yes, I have a classic car. Two of them. 

A '74 Galaxie 500 in factory color Libra Gold, and a '82 Ford Landau, with factory paint, upholstery, vinyl roof, and low kms. 

The '74 has a hopped up 292, with a Isky cam, a four barrel Autolite 4100, and imported big valve heads. 

I knew it!! You only could have a Galaxie.

My father bought a brand new 1992 Opala Diplomata when we got to Brasil, but he didn't like the car at all. He ended buying a 10 year old Landau, that was in mint condition for a fraction of the money he got from selling the Opala. My father used to say driving the Landau was like a trip back to 1966. He still has that car. It's a 1982, in Azul Clássico, with gray interior, air conditioning, a 302 and a C-4. The car has today about 280 K on the clock, and still goes quite strong. There is some light rust on the left rear door, but I think it will be an easy fix. 

I got the primer from Colorgin. Didn't get the paint yet tough.

Want to build it as a replica of my grandfather's '40 Ford he had in the '50s. The car was a Standard, and it was a greenish color I have no idea what it was.

Looked online for 1940 Ford colors, I got two greens. Acadia Green, and Yosemite Green. I wish my grandfather were still with us, so I could actually ask him what color the car was. The one black and white picture I have doesn't help. It just shows a painted grille, and headlight trim rings. To be honest on the picture it just looks gray, LOL!!!

Have any idea on how to find out the car color?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 1:54 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Thomas, it appears to be a no brainer. 

The Ford being a Standard, it could only be Black, Lyon Blue, and Skymist Gray. 

The Skymist Gray is actually a greenish color. 

So, if your grandfather's car had the original paint, it was Skymist Gray. 

I think you are correct. Family members I asked about it, including my uncle in Miami, all said the car was a greenish color, but not really green, and it was a Standard. 

I started on my Revell '40 and the kit is quite detailed. 

Had the paint mixed, and put into a spray can. Fingers crossed here.