Model Cars Magazine Forum

10 hours ago, Russell C said:

Somebody with better memory than me might be able to chime in on this, but I know I read somewhere that while the Red Baron kit is 1:24 scale, the World War I Mercedes-Benz aircraft engine in it is actually significantly undersized in relation to what a 24th scale replica would be.

That is correct. Though it does represent a real aircraft engine, the engine in the kit is somewhere around 1/32.

8 hours ago, Big John said:

The other option is .....

Hispano Suiza WW! 01.jpg

Hispano Suiza WW! 02.jpg

A Hisso! That would be nice.

There is a bare bones Hispano Suiza V8 in the old Revell 1/28 scale SPAD 13 kit. It is pretty nice, but a bit 'blobby" due to the age of the tooling.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, landman said:

It is interesting to see the discussion here. What I was after was a nice 1/25 or 1/24 Merlin to add to my engine collection. I already have built an Allison (from the AMT Thunderbird kit) and I have putchased a Junkers Jumo from out friend Firerods.He has a Merlin too and so does  or did Ma. The large scale aircraft were a long shot as Bill said but from what I’ve seen they are beautiful. So I thank you guys for all the leads and I’ll keep looking. The Merlin on Shapeways is over $100.

If you know anyone with a 3D printer, the file for this ones on Cults3D for $10, plus what it costs to print. You can have it scaled to 1/24th.
They also show print services for files bought on Cults3D on the download page.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/rolls-royce-merlin

capture.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, landman said:

Thank you.

NP, Fyi if you use a service you need to make sure they will scale it up. If not someone in the forum that's into 3D printing will do that prob for free, including me.