Model Cars Magazine Forum

6 hours ago, LDO said:

I may have an extra Merlin from the old Airfix P-51D.

We can talk trade if you want. No need for PM. I would be looking for a complete car model. Probably an AMT Phantom Vicky or Revell '29 or '32 Ford.

I have a Phantom Vickie if you want to do that trade.

...of course if Pat doesn't take it. Not trying to cut him out of a deal.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This is a late-Griffon-powered Seafire: the rather excellent Airfix kit from the '90s of a Seafire 47...

seafire47.jpg

seafire47-2.jpg

The proportions are very different when there's a Griffon upfront. The Griffon marks were different enough that originally they weren't going to be Spitfires any more... over twice the power, half as heavy again as the Mk 1, though the fuselage from the firewall to the joint in front of the tail remained the same, everything else was different. The only comparable example in more recent times is the F-16's evolution from lightweight fighter to badass mud-mover.

The Packard Merlin powered examples of anything (Lancaster as well as Spitfire) were always given different Mark numbers, because the spares weren't interchangeable (I think the Packard Merlin's also used US standard threaded fasteners as well as mass-production suited manufacturing techniques...)

best,

M.

Here is a couple of resin 1:24 aircraft engines on ebay right now.

Junkers Jumo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Junkers-Jumo-213a-V12-Resin-Engine/152318990306?hash=item2376eb57e2:g:E7AAAOSwB09YKxQU

Rolls Royce Merlin
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Rolls-Royce-Merlin-Hurricane-V12-Resin-Engine/152750963873?hash=item2390aabca1:g:q1QAAOSwiONYKw1I

These are most likely casted from the Airfix kits, unfortunately he didn't do the engine from the Mustang P51D as it's a lot better detailed and a newer version than the one from the Hurricane.
Airfix has quite a lot of 1:24th scale aircraft kits and all have engines.
Supermarine Spitfire Mk I (RR Merlin V12)
Hawker Hurricane Mk I (RR Merlin V12)
Hawker Typhoon 1B (Napier Sabre 24 cylinder H)
Focke Wulf 190A/F (BMW 801 14 cylinder Radial)
De Haviland Mosquito FB VI (RR Merlin 2 X V12)
North American Mustang P 51B/K (Packard Merlin V12)
Junkers JU87B Stuka (Jumo 211 Inverted V12)
Messerschmitt BF109E (Daimler Benz DB 601 Inverted V12)

Trumpeter also has aircraft kits in 1:24th scale with detailed engines.
Junkers JU87A Stuka (Jumo 211 Inverted V12)
North American Mustang P51D (Packard Merlin V12)
Messerschmitt BF 109 4 G and 1 K version (Daimler Benz DB 605 Inverted V12)
Supermarine Spitfire  4 versions (RR Merlin V12)
Hawker Hurricane 4 versions (RR Merlin V12)
Focke Wulf 190 D9 (Jumo 213A Inverted V12)
Mitsubishi Zero 2 versions (Nakajima NK 1C 14 cylinder Radial)

Edited by Force

41 minutes ago, Force said:

Here is a couple of resin 1:24 aircraft engines on ebay right now.

Junkers Jumo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Junkers-Jumo-213a-V12-Resin-Engine/152318990306?hash=item2376eb57e2:g:E7AAAOSwB09YKxQU

Rolls Royce Merlin
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Rolls-Royce-Merlin-Hurricane-V12-Resin-Engine/152750963873?hash=item2390aabca1:g:q1QAAOSwiONYKw1I

These are most likely casted from the Airfix kits, unfortunately he didn't do the engine from the Mustang P51D as it's a lot better detailed and a newer version than the one from the Hurricane.
Airfix has quite a lot of 1:24th scale aircraft kits and all have engines.
Supermarine Spitfire Mk I (RR Merlin V12)
Hawker Hurricane Mk I (RR Merlin V12)
Hawker Typhoon 1B (Napier Sabre 24 cylinder H)
Focke Wulf 190A/F (BMW 801 14 cylinder Radial)
De Haviland Mosquito FB VI (RR Merlin 2 X V12)
North American Mustang P 51B/K (Packard Merlin V12)
Junkers JU87B Stuka (Jumo 211 Inverted V12)
Messerschmitt BF109E (Daimler Benz DB 601 Inverted V12)

Trumpeter also has aircraft kits in 1:24th scale with detailed engines.
Junkers JU87A Stuka (Jumo 211 Inverted V12)
North American Mustang P51D (Packard Merlin V12)
Messerschmitt BF 109 4 G and 1 K version (Daimler Benz DB 605 Inverted V12)
Supermarine Spitfire  4 versions (RR Merlin V12)
Hawker Hurricane 4 versions (RR Merlin V12)
Focke Wulf 190 D9 (Jumo 213A Inverted V12)
Mitsubishi Zero 2 versions (Nakajima NK 1C 14 cylinder Radial)

Thanks for the list.That makes it easier for an old man to consult.

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Is there a De Haviland Beaver or an Otter in 1/25 or 1/24 scale? 

There used to be a big, simple 1/24 Beaver offered as a sort of promotional item by somebody--might have been a whiskey distiller. I've never seen one in person; I think I've seen one built up in FineScale modeler or someplace. 

http://www.finescale.com/issues/2012/~/link.aspx?_id=987F7222B6A34212B4A03B706F971D9B&_z=z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-Alaska-DeHavilland-Beaver-Floatplane-Seaplane-1-24-Model-Canadian-Mist-/312080651255

Also, you might want to look at some "flying" models. There's a Guillow's Cessna L-19/O-1 model that just happens to scale out to 1/24. A guy here did a couple really nice builds of it. You might be able to see his pics by "properties" uncoding the photobucket links: 

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64540

Edited by Snake45

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

There used to be a big, simple 1/24 Beaver offered as a sort of promotional item by somebody--might have been a whiskey distiller. I've never seen one in person; I think I've seen one built up in FineScale modeler or someplace. 

http://www.finescale.com/issues/2012/~/link.aspx?_id=987F7222B6A34212B4A03B706F971D9B&_z=z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-Alaska-DeHavilland-Beaver-Floatplane-Seaplane-1-24-Model-Canadian-Mist-/312080651255

Also, you might want to look at some "flying" models. There's a Guillow's Cessna L-19/O-1 model that just happens to scale out to 1/24. A guy here did a couple really nice builds of it. You might be able to see his pics by "properties" uncoding the photobucket links: 

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64540

Thank you for the above links. Spent a few hours added together riding in a few of these planes going fishing. 

Dare I admit that I have this project, started last century, been sitting waiting for me.  I got the Miniatures of Maryland resin copy of the AMT Allison engine a long time ago at a model contest.  He combined a few parts, it's a beautiful casting.  My stumbling block is knowing which way the engine should go, where the output shaft is, and if I should use a series of Holly type of carbs since it's not intended for high altitude.  I'm also using a GM General transmission, because I figured the massive torque would trash anything else, along with the differential.  My vision is a Bonneville Salt Flats racer, called Bigatti.  I plan to add a ton of cross bracing on the frame, and multiple links for the rear suspension.

Bigatti exploded view.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, Snake45 said:

Hey Ace, have you ever heard that the Packard-built Merlins were actually BETTER than the ones built by R-R? I just read an article by a VERY knowledgeable individual that explained why. B)

From the Crestline book "Packard" by George H. Dammann & James A. Wren (which I found recently at a local flea market):

"April 1941 was also the month when Packard got into gear on its national defense contract to produce aircraft engines. After a thorough inspection and study of the complicated block in 1940, the company cleared the ground, built new buildings, obtained tools, trained workers, and went into war production of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. Within six months, on August 2, 1941, the first mass-produced Merlin engine was being tested.

Although the initial contract was for only 9,000 such units, by the end of the war Packard had shipped 55,523 Merlin aircraft engines of superior quality.  In fact, the company was the largest producer of that engine during World War II...

A commendable tribute to Packard engineering was the fact that the Merlin was a liquid-cooled block, whereas at that time all U.S. aviation engines were air-cooled. Even Packard's previous aviation expertise had been in air-cooled units.  Packard also greatly improved the design and power of the Merlin through the development of an innovative two-stage supercharger, which increased the power from 1,250 to 2,220 horsepower."

10 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

A commendable tribute to Packard engineering was the fact that the Merlin was a liquid-cooled block, whereas at that time all U.S. aviation engines were air-cooled. 

Well, except of course for GM's Allison, which by that time had seen use in thousands of P-38s, P-39s, P-40s, and early P-51s....:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Packard also greatly improved the design and power of the Merlin through the development of an innovative two-stage supercharger, which increased the power from 1,250 to 2,220 horsepower."

The two stage supercharger for the Merlin was invented at Rolls Royce, and refined by Stanley Hooker at RR, who went on to be a leading light in the development of jet engines right up to the Pegasus which powered the Harrier, and recovering the RB211 from the issues that bankrupted RR in the 70s...

51vgqqzfPAL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Not Much of an Engineer

Credit where credit is due...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

46 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Dare I admit that I have this project, started last century, been sitting waiting for me.  I got the Miniatures of Maryland resin copy of the AMT Allison engine a long time ago at a model contest.  He combined a few parts, it's a beautiful casting.  My stumbling block is knowing which way the engine should go, where the output shaft is, and if I should use a series of Holly type of carbs since it's not intended for high altitude.  I'm also using a GM General transmission, because I figured the massive torque would trash anything else, along with the differential...

You have the engine mounted the correct way. Power takeoff is on the end away from the pointy-end of the valve covers.

Here's an Allison with multiple automotive carbs.   Image result for allison pulling engine   

Or, you could use a single huge fuel-injection throttle-body, mounted to the supercharger...   Image result for allison pulling engine

You can get rid of the gear-reduction box for the prop on the output end, and do something like one of these big bellhousings bolted to adapter plates on the block. Bolt your gearbox to the bellhousing. A big gearbox for a truck or something else very heavy should handle the torque, as long as your driver doesn't dump the clutch, and goes light on the throttle getting up to speed.

10443730_529354040508057_1402073783_n.jpg

Here's a thread you might enjoy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Well, except of course for GM's Allison, which by that time had seen use in thousands of P-38s, P-39s, P-40s, and early P-51s....:rolleyes:

I knew that didn't sound right, but just copied what the book said.  It was published in 1996.  The book also repeats the story that Russia was given the pre-war Packard body dies.  And that's why some Russian cars looked so much like Packards.  That one has been debunked by quite a few people, especially Andy Thompson in his book "Cars of the Soviet Union."  Oh well, the pictures in it are good...

1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

The two stage supercharger for the Merlin was invented at Rolls Royce, and refined by Stanley Hooker at RR, who went on to be a leading light in the development of jet engines right up to the Pegasus which powered the Harrier, and recovering the RB211 from the issues that bankrupted RR in the 70s...

Credit where credit is due...

best,

M.

I didn’t realize that the RB211 had helped nnbankrupt RR. The company I worked for ran several of them.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You have the engine mounted the correct way. Power takeoff is on the end away from the pointy-end of the valve covers.

Here's an Allison with multiple automotive carbs.  ...

Here's a thread you might enjoy.

Cool, thanks!  I will be following your project now.

1 hour ago, LDO said:

Landman-

Do you want me to dig for the Airfix engine, or will you look for another source? If you don't want it, I'll trade with Bill for a Phantom Vickie.

Lee

Lee, I am 500miles from home, won’t get back there until tuesday evening, and I’m still not sure I’d find something you’d like so yeas, go ahead with Bill.

15 minutes ago, landman said:

Lee, I am 500miles from home, won’t get back there until tuesday evening, and I’m still not sure I’d find something you’d like so yeas, go ahead with Bill.

I'm NOT in a hurry, and this whole thread was opened because YOU were looking for an aircraft engine.

Lee would have to dig it out anyway, apparently, so why not see if you guys can make a deal first, after you get home?

If it doesn't work out between you, I'll pick up the option.

Just trying to be fair.

On March 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Scott Colmer said:

I forgot about the Miss Budweiser. The box says it is a Rolls Royce engine.

MissBuds-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The engine in the Miss Budweiser hydro is very crude and possibly a RR Griffon. The old AMT parts pack Allison engine would be a good alternative.

Edited by Flynlo