Model Cars Magazine Forum

Still slicing and dicing

Psychographic

On 3/20/2018 at 12:48 PM, GerN said:

I might have tilted the rear fenders up in back so their top edges parallel the bed top.  And remove some of the bottom of the rear of the bed.  This could also give a bit of a wedge look, lightening the rear.  I'd probably open the rear wheel cutouts to match the fronts.  It is great to see so many radical ideas!

As I am always changing my mind on the direction of my builds and haven't settled on a wheel design, I haven't decided if I am going 50's custom, modern lowrider, high tech retro performance or even a rat rod, I haven't done anything with the wheel openings.  My initial thought was to radius the opening to fit the wheel/tire combo, but I haven't even settled on wheels!  Lol

On 3/20/2018 at 1:54 PM, GerN said:

I want to see the Viper delivery in primer - at least the roof.  Outrageous, but it seems to work.  In the U.K., it would be a shooting brake.  BTW, in the three or four (I think) custom versions of the Viper I've STARTED, I've eliminated the side exhausts - just too café racer for me.

Here is one of my most radical builds:

While that might make an interesting model, as a real vehicle that is about as ugly as it gets. To purposely make a car look like it was cobbled together by a no talent hack, using parts found behind the barn does nothing for me. Had the builder of that actually tried to finish it with any sign of craftsmanship, it could actually be pretty cool looking.

While doing a little research for another project, a member here suggested I go to Ollie's to see if they had a Fruit Wagon kit. No luck, but they did have a PT Cruiser. The next day we were basically snowed in, so I cut the fenders off and spaced them out .120" on each side. I cut the recessed part on the back of the body where bumper goes, added about .060 and reglued it flush to make the back smooth. I filled the front bumper recess and cut the grille opening and added some sheet the sink the grille.

P3230153.JPG.27cf467487fe68f198c3e0ea019ff145.JPGP3230154.JPG.f2ca710f9d5441e05fed55fcae12add9.JPGP3230157.JPG.78c5e87eeeb311fa2ba55366cd9df35c.JPG

Edited by Psychographic

So, as amazing as your customs are, do you have any that are finished?  Lol.  Don't get me wrong, I do honestly love the custom work and in progress and in primer is the best way to show off your work.  I'd just like to see something you have built that is done.  I bet it is phenomenal!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 2:39 PM, rsxse240 said:

So, as amazing as your customs are, do you have any that are finished?  Lol.  Don't get me wrong, I do honestly love the custom work and in progress and in primer is the best way to show off your work.  I'd just like to see something you have built that is done.  I bet it is phenomenal!

I'm at about  2% finishing rate.

On 3/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, Psychographic said:

I was looking through boxes and found one of my favorite experiments.

P3170118.JPG.1143814cac5ae64488e46eaaf386aa9e.JPGP3170119.JPG.b2dffc556f70b6e772d78931fbac95c3.JPGP3170120.JPG.2bdbadf143338a3ff1305acaee6b5809.JPG

Now I've seen it all - a Camaro van! It looks very plausible, but I wouldn't want to try to stand up in it.

Looks like it's in motion. Hope you can Git er Done!

On 3/18/2018 at 8:09 AM, Psychographic said:

How about a 50 Chevy P.U. crossed with a 58 T-Bird? This one stalled after I kept breaking the A pillars while trying to hinge the doors. I made the mistake of using too thin of brass rod to make the hinges. I so wanted to throw it against the wall, but I love the look of it and managed to restrain myself and put it in the box.

L1.JPG.423f0d1ae3b650854950d47ba49cbb35.JPG5aae801536a12_L1(1).JPG.d07d507c3453ecd26b5013e71fb555e3.JPG5aae81217bc79_L1Side.jpg.268b81d37e6dd5d00aa92c0f28f1cd88.jpg

Dont trash it, it looks good. Very period 50s era Kustom.

Not too sure about the bed, but I love the face on the front of it. Looks angry. Hood lines echo the headlights perfectly. 

17 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

That truck is killer. To fix the posts reglue them and then cut some things strips of brass and glue the in for reinforcement.

I cemented some styrene strips at a 90degree angle to the face of the posts to strengthen it while I work on it. When everything else on the body is done and it is in it's final cat of primer, I'll remove them and clean up the posts for paint. I'm worried if I glue brass to the inside, it will interfere with the fir of the windshield. I do appreciate the idea.

I can't believe how many awesome projects you have running. The electric 'vette looks relatively close to being finished, no? Very creative ideas there; I like the transverse-mounted motor and IFS setup. 

The Indy-powered Ranchero is so wrong, and so perfect, I love it. 

The PT cruiser, while much-maligned in its production form, has a ton of promise as a subject for customizing...and your version is looking very cool so far. It strongly reminds me of the PT's original concept vehicle, the Pronto. That thing was so friggin' rad.