Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowe's Home Improvement leaving Hendrick Motorsports

We need to face it, there is no fixing motorsports Hate me for saying this, but young people are just not interested in cars like us old folks. As we die off so will racing to a great extent. Will it ever die completely, I doubt it, but it's never going to regain the glory of yesteryear.

Nascar's biggest problem is not the cars or teams or brand recognition. It's greed and gimmicks. Go on any short track forum and you will hear the same thing. Many of the people on these forums were fans of Nascar, but now are at best, casual followers.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:28 AM, Dave Van said:

Lived within 100 yards of the place....bought a new  '82 Z28 direct from Rick. So as I said....not just some hillbilly here.  Chevy makes Rick the least money right now. The unknown manufacture, seen in the HMS pits of late, will bring badly needed buckets of cash with them. While all this is my opinion....I worked in NASCAR for 15 years.....

Oh, so being a next door neighbor and a customer makes you an "expert" on Hendrick's business then? :huh: I guess that makes me an expert in the pizza business because I live less than a half mile away from 2 and eat their pizza. I guess too that working someplace for multiply years qualifies one for "expert" status too, so I guess since I've driven a truck for 20 years that makes me an expert in the trucking industry. 

Also, I guess you have proven you aren't "just some hillbilly" because at least hillbillies at least know the difference between "manufacture" and "manufacturer"! :lol:

6 hours ago, highway said:

Oh, so being a next door neighbor and a customer makes you an "expert" on Hendrick's business then? :huh: I guess that makes me an expert in the pizza business because I live less than a half mile away from 2 and eat their pizza. I guess too that working someplace for multiply years qualifies one for "expert" status too, so I guess since I've driven a truck for 20 years that makes me an expert in the trucking industry. 

Also, I guess you have proven you aren't "just some hillbilly" because at least hillbillies at least know the difference between "manufacture" and "manufacturer"! :lol:

Having multiple contracts with HMS NASCAR teams does mean I know more than you for sure.....so snarky!!!! Have a good day!!!:wub:

20 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Having multiple contracts with HMS NASCAR teams does mean I know more than you for sure.....so snarky!!!! Have a good day!!!:wub:

Then why did Larry and Deb Reitz who owned D&L Hobbies  ,which you worked for getting as you put it "HMS contracts" get sued for making decals without permission, or as you put it "contracts" ?

I will bet Jimmie will be driving for HMS in 2019.

Edited by martinfan5

10 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I have generally kept my thoughts on NASCAR in check because of my career with one of the major auto manufacturers.  Now retired, I can be a little more open.

Historically, NASCAR has multiple lines of consumer appeal, of which the top two were manufacturer preferences, and driver/race team preferences.  When the manufacturers more or less dropped out of NASCAR in the early 1970's, NASCAR moved to focus on just the drivers/race teams.  This was certainly understandable and a smart move at the time.

But like many things in our world, over time the pendulum swung too far in the other direction.  The brands that the drivers race are now treated as second or third hand news; for example media coverage does not even mention the makes of the winning cars, even in the last sentence of the last paragraph.  

Concurrently, the cars have evolved so far away from their production counterparts that any connection between the race and the showroom is not evident for most fans.  

To get NASCAR back on track, they need to (1) refocus with a dual emphasis on the race teams AND the Brands being raced, thus providing two distinct avenues of consumer appeal.  And (2) they need to change the cars back to something that is MUCH  closer to their production equivalents (I'm thinking the last time they had this racecar/production quotient right was with the 1983-1986 Thunderbirds).  

And for those of you who do not read the www.autoextremist.com website, the author Peter DeLorenzo is highly outspoken on the subject of NASCAR and what is needed to right the ship.  Not saying I agree with all his thoughts, but it is an interesting read to get a well-rounded view of the subject. 

TIM 

Tim,  that may fix some things, but the biggest problem is a aging fan base and not being able to tap into the younger generation,  which doesnt really care that much for racing or cars , they see the as a way to get from A to B, nothing more, nothing less.   My point there are so many pieces to this puzzle that there isnt a one size stop all, and to be honest,  NASCAR is never going to be back to where it was, and you know, that isnt a bad thing in all honestly

I would love to see NASCAR go back to be a niche sport, that is when it was the best, but that is my opinion of course.

NASCAR is recumbently stuck 

ZS2Qsml.gif

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Then why did Larry and Deb Reitz who owned D&L Hobbies  ,which you worked for getting as you put it "HMS contracts" get sued for making decals without permission, or as you put it "contracts" ?

I will bet Jimmie will be driving for HMS in 2019.

Deb owned the store...I was D in DNL...we were never sued once. I was at the first deal with Rick at HMS for Gordon....get your slander right. 

I'm dome with this one......I have more first hand info than you guys....why do I need to prove it to 'expert and fan since 2005'????? I've been trackside since age 5......:wub:

• Xingu locked this topic