Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old 1/75 LS Judy - classic plastic out of box

It’s not just unusual subject matter that always attracts me to a kit. Even I tend to like some of the more famous subjects in aviation history. However, it’s always nice if it can be a bit of both; fairly well-known, but still a bit outside of the ordinary. This is not easy to do for WWII aircraft, which tend to either be famous or forgotten. One plane, though, that does manage to straddle the line is the Yokosuka D4Y, known as the “Judy” in Allied code. I’ve always liked the Judy, both in its inline- and radial-engined forms, and like the Seiran, it always looks to me like a heavy fighter rather than a bomber.

Of course, it wouldn’t be me if I was reviewing just another Judy. Nope. I managed to come across something of an old and unusual kit  this time; one of the old (1960’s, I believe) LS models in the conveniently not-in-scale-to-anything size of 1/75! Just the box art on this thing is worth the price I paid!

Check it out, and prepare to be amazed at what LS could do a half century ago, and be saddened by how far other kit makers still have to go to catch up.

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/ls-models-1-75-yokosuka-d4y2-suisei-judy-oob/

ls-judy-oob-001.jpg?w=300

LS did some nice kits back in the day, though I always found the 1/75 scale to be strange compared to the 'traditional' 1/72. I remember going into McCormick's back when I lived in the GTA, and was always surprised on how much older stock they always had.

Another enjoyable review of an obscure kit!  Thanks. 

Here's one of my favorite obscurities: the Nichimo 1/48 Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia."  Japanese Army WWII attack/recon aircraft.  The kit has optional parts for both versions.

Obscure?  AFAIK, this is the only kit of this aircraft in any scale.  Even though the Sonia was a popular aircraft that stayed in production for all of WWII with very few changes.  No other Army aircraft could do what it did as well as the Ki-51.

And under that fine "in action" 1970's box art, what a kit!  This one was way ahead of its time. Fine recessed panel/rivet detail.   A full Interior with radios, control panels etc. (and different interior parts for the 2 versions). Optional ordnance loads. Plus an engine complete with firewall, mounts, exhaust collector ring etc.  

Despite all that, it seems to get very little respect. I bought mine at a kit swap meet long ago for $10. The Nichimo Sonia is often available on eBay. One recently sold for $14.22, getting only 2 bids.

sonia.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omission
  • Like 1

I only have one Nichimo kit, a 1/48 P-51D. It's not very good, but I HAVE to build it to complete my Mustang model collection. Every so often I drag it out, remember what all is wrong with it, and put it back in the box again. Sigh. 

I only have 2 Nichimo kits. The other one is the 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ("Dragon Slayer"), U.S. code name "Nick."  The twin-engine heavy fighter.

Given your P-51 pain, thought you might like this review of the Nick from Modeling Madness:

"I like Nichimo kits.  But they run a full spectrum from accurate to toy-like.   Some, like their Ki-51 Sonia and Ki-43 Oscar, are extremely well done.   They are accurate and build well, and have cockpit detail that is a few decades ahead of their time.  Others, like the Aichi Jake, SBD Dauntless, and TBF Avenger are more toy-like, with features like movable control surfaces and were designed to include a small motor to spin the prop. For that reason the cockpit on these are severely lacking.   I don’t say toy-like like it’s a bad thing though….it depends on your perspective.  The Nichimo SBD Dauntless has moveable flaps and a droppable bomb, which is considered the ultimate in cool by my 7 year old son."

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/j/jaaf/rannick.htm

• 5 years later...

I always enjoyed anything with retractable gear so these kits always worked for me. The LS kits have been supplanted by more accurate renditions but their Ki-67 still works. When Nichimo was getting into plastic models back in the sixties, they copied the Monogram kits of the era, hence the many working features. I was the only kid on the block who used spring clothespins and minimal glue to get those features to work. Ah, the heady days of dive bombing the (picnic table) carrier. Nichimo went on to do armor and other kits but their P-51 is always a good buy because, unlike the Monogram kit, it has retractable gear!

https://www.scalemates.com/brands/nichimo--187

Hope that helps,

Doc

• Like 1