Model Cars Magazine Forum

hasegawa vs tamiya

in general, how are hasegawa car models compare to tamiya?

in general the hasegawa is more expensive than tamiya. 

for example, how is the lancer evo tamiya vs hasegawa evo? is one better than the other in fit and quality of build/accuracy

OK thanks, i assumed (probably incorrectly) that they would have all been based on the same mold. Meaning evo 5 to evo 6 for tamiya would use the same mold, just body differences. and that the hasegawa would do the same for their molds

There are street versions and rally version from Evo. III up to Evo. X.  In addition Fujimi and Aoshima also have released Lancer kits.   Your question is too broad to comment specifically but in general all these manufactures produce great kits. 

Edited by afx

2 minutes ago, afx said:

There are street versions and rally version from Evo. III up to Evo. X.  In addition Fujimi and Aoshima also have released Lancer kits.   Your question is too broad to comment specifically but in general all these manufactures produce great kits. 

I agree with JC, the only noticeable difference to me, is that Hasegawas plastic is usually more brittle, and can have more sink marks than Tamiyas, but I still like them a lot!

Some of Hasegawa's kits have very poor or non existent interior details - I have recently completed their VW pick-up and panel van and there are no interior panels at all. Reviews here show poor interiors in the new BMW's too.

Despite Hasegawas lack of interior details at times, all the kits I have and have built from them are good.  Often curbsides models with no full engine and often a little lacking in interior detail. Tamiya is usully full detail (but they also have some curbsides) and they are mostly good aswell. Who have the best Mitsubushi Evo? I have no idea, as I have never had any or built any of them.

The only "civilian" Evo that Tamiya has done is the Evo 6.  They did rally versions of other models, but only the one in street trim.  From the Evo 6 perspective I'd argue that it comes down to what you're looking for in a kit.  The Tamiya kit was made during an odd time where they put metal axles front and back (also effects the Bugeye WRX street kit) and so the chassis is more simplified than you might expect.  The Hasegawa Evo 6 has a sister Rally car kit, so the interior can be found to be lacking as the base interior serves both kits.  After that your comparing Hasegawa Evos against Fujimi Evos, and that's like bringing a spork to a gunfight in terms of how bad the Fujimi Evo 3, 4 & 5 are compared to the Hasegawa kits.  Hasegawa is the only company to make a Lancer and Evo II, although they're some of the most expensive curbside kits out there as they haven't been run since the early 1990s.  Only Fujimi made a street Evo 7, 8, & 9, and then Aoshima is the only 10 in town.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Tamiya kit was made during an odd time where they put metal axles front and back (also effects the Bugeye WRX street kit) and so the chassis is more simplified than you might expect.

The Tamiya Evo VI was made before the simplification period, and around the time they started to do platform style interior.  It still has the detailed chassis with pin style wheels.  For Evo VI it is the best choice.

The simplification period started in 2001 with the 350Z and the Bugeye WRX and lasted until around 2010.

As for the Evo I and II, I would not be surprised if Hasegawa re-issue them in the very near future.  They are on a run with model cars right now and even the unthinkables like the entire XJS series got reissued.  The Evo IV was reissued not long ago and the Evo III is just around the corner.

Edited by fumi

Would you say "in general" tamiya is better detail and fit and finish? if there was the same car made by both the tamiya will be better quality, or is it really just kit by kit determines it.

i just ask because hasegawa has so many rally cars but they are very expensive, so i would like to make sure i get good quality. i am having difficulty finding good reviews. i compare them to tamiya because in my opinion tamiya has the best quality available

14 hours ago, youpey said:

Would you say "in general" tamiya is better detail and fit and finish? if there was the same car made by both the tamiya will be better quality, or is it really just kit by kit determines it.

It is safe to say that anything Tamiya made since the mid 80's would have better fit and finish over their peers.

Detail-wise it is kit by kit, but Tamiya would almost always have an upper hand on ease of build.