Model Cars Magazine Forum

model car mag.com safe

7 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

What does this mean for us non-techy guys. Is there something bad going on here? I've been coming here for several years now. And not encountered any problems that I know. What would I be looking out for? 

No, nothing bad. The difference between secure and not secure is how easy it is to see the information sent back and forth between the server and your computer. This site has always been "not secure". Browsers just make it easier to see if the connection is secure.

It means they did not get a SSL certificate from there web host yet. This basically make the website more secure. It used to be these were only used for e commerce sites that take people's credit card numbers, but now Google wants every website to upgrade . All of this happens through the hosting company, but they charge you for the certificate. This really means nothing to us because we are not buying through the site, it is just you browser telling you it is not secure.

I know this is not a technical answer, just Google SSL if you need more info.

Edited by bugman9317

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

No, nothing bad. The difference between secure and not secure is how easy it is to see the information sent back and forth between the server and your computer. This site has always been "not secure". Browsers just make it easier to see if the connection is secure.

Why not just set up the forum to use https?  As is now the logins are in plain text.

Thanks, Model round up site is the same way. So I emailed Jack about this, he emailed me back telling me about the http not safe, but when you go to shopping cart to check out your order, he said it will go to https secure so you can use your credit card. that makes me feel better.   Again Thanks to all that got back to me on this.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:52 AM, bugman9317 said:

It means they did not get a SSL certificate from there web host yet. This basically make the website more secure. It used to be these were only used for e commerce sites that take people's credit card numbers, but now Google wants every website to upgrade . All of this happens through the hosting company, but they charge you for the certificate. This really means nothing to us because we are not buying through the site, it is just you browser telling you it is not secure.

I know this is not a technical answer, just Google SSL if you need more info.

I get why Google is doing it, but I wont be doing it to my website, I dont process payments through my website, its all handled in person or through payment processing websites, and very little person information is submitted, so I dont really feel SSL is a good use of money .

The drawback to an "Un-Secured site is that your own computer may decide that the site is a Threat, and wont let you access the site. " For your own safety, your computer will Block the log - in request.

This mean's that if you want to log-in, you will have to turn off any Anti- Virus software you have running. Then you can get on to the site..... but at the same time, your computer will be getting "Hammered" by spyware threat's .

I just went through ALL OF THIS  with Finescale Modeler,  ScaleAuto, and Model Railroader. The parent company ,Kalambach, has a certificate provided by Go-Daddy.com...

And my computer has "Seizure's" trying to get anything done on those site's !

4 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

The drawback to an "Un-Secured site is that your own computer may decide that the site is a Threat, and wont let you access the site. " For your own safety, your computer will Block the log - in request.

This mean's that if you want to log-in, you will have to turn off any Anti- Virus software you have running. Then you can get on to the site..... but at the same time, your computer will be getting "Hammered" by spyware threat's .

I just went through ALL OF THIS  with Finescale Modeler,  ScaleAuto, and Model Railroader. The parent company ,Kalambach, has a certificate provided by Go-Daddy.com...

And my computer has "Seizure's" trying to get anything done on those site's !

Interesting.

I interact with all of those sites, and have zero problems. Perhaps your browser and/or anti-virus may be identifying a potential threat where there actually isn't any.

All browsers and AVs are not created equal.

56 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I get why Google is doing it, but I wont be doing it to my website, I dont process payments through my website, its all handled in person or through payment processing websites, and very little person information is submitted, so I dont really feel SSL is a good use of money .

I'm with you, but I own a pest control company and I had to buy one for our site because even though I don't take money or anything through the site Google is going to start penalizing sites for not being secure and then you will loose ranking.

38 minutes ago, bugman9317 said:

I'm with you, but I own a pest control company and I had to buy one for our site because even though I don't take money or anything through the site Google is going to start penalizing sites for not being secure and then you will loose ranking.

Yeah, it sucks