Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do You Get Fixated On One Type Of Car?

I do not,  I like to have the variety of building different types of automobiles throughout the year,  as I am not a "one build at a time"  builder,  I have a few going on at the same time so.   And its rare that those two will of the same,  I have building the new NASCAR kits two at a time lately, more so because I can do batch painting .

I kind of do what ever hits me at time,,   I get tried of the same old models I been build for the last 50 years.. So, I've been doing lots of scratch building,, I see stuff on the puter, and think, why not, lets build one like it, ( or somewhat like it, )

I've built three steampunk airships, ( there pretty cool)  semi low rider rat rods, and , always looking for something different,  I like spice in my life,    But,, like all the rest, I still build all the others too,,  like Fords mostly,(not the mustang)  

Ya'll have a happy 4th of july,,  and try not to burn yourself,

REL

I think most of us have a strong interest in one particular type of motor car,  for whatever personal reasons, and I see no harm in getting ' fixated ' or ' obsessed ' with building the same series of cars. However, once in a while I do build a kit that is not the usual type. Having decided to concentrate on Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud 1's from 1955 to 1959, I do have a selection of Phantoms between 1927 and 1938. Also, I have built Morgans, Jaguars, Morris, Bedford coach and AEC bus. Several Talbot Lagos are lined up for building soon.

The advantage of focusing on Rolls-Royce builds for example, is that I can research each car down to the last detail and hopefully understand everything about the history of that particular car. This process should mean that we turn out really good builds of exhibition quality, without forgetting this is for fun and personal satisfaction.

David

For years, I got carried away on Mercedes Gullwings, and have collected multiples of most available kits. But I’ve spent more time and money on research, including original manuals and 1:1 parts than anything else. In discussions with the parts manager at the Mercedes Classic Center in California, it turns out that I have things that even the Mercedes factory archives don’t have, including cars like the 500/540K and 710SS.