Model Cars Magazine Forum

Food Dehydrators & Paint Dryers

Mine took a dump on me a few years back. It is a Magic Chef, my brother found them at Walmart at the time. We did mine up first, got into the base and wired in a light switch type dimmer switch to control the heat. I just ran across the "schematic" I drew up for it back them. I know I can get a base on eBay.

My brother made his shallower than mine, he used a piece of plastic scrounged from work and is about 6" deep. Mine I used 10" chimney flashing, pop-riveted at the seam and to the bottom tray. 

Lousy picture but you can see where I have the thermometer and the dimmer switch at the bottom left.

1225.JPG

Edited by bobss396

• 3 months later...

This is the one from Ollie's. I used a plastic sign from Ace Hardware and made it 8" deep. Candy thermometer from the supermarket. 

It works well and the dial is accurate enough. Set it and forget it. I have been using it for putty, glue and paint. 

20240112_131759.jpg

20240112_131807.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 1:13 PM, bobss396 said:

This is the one from Ollie's. I used a plastic sign from Ace Hardware and made it 8" deep. Candy thermometer from the supermarket. 

It works well and the dial is accurate enough. Set it and forget it. I have been using it for putty, glue and paint. 

20240112_131759.jpg

Goes to show that any problem can be solved with a bottle of Sambuca and a bunch of AA batteries. 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beans said:

Goes to show that any problem can be solved with a bottle of Sambuca and a bunch of AA batteries. 🤣

The batteries are dead. I used to dispose of them at work easily. I have to find another place to drop them off. Sambuca is good stuff especially in coffee in the evenings. I have a pretty well stocked bar at all times. Mainly gin, vodka, Jim Beam, tequila, no wine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Super28 said:

I justimage.thumb.jpeg.dc671999de968f70f622578d434c7dff.jpeg bought this one. Anybody use one before?

A front loader, might be a good idea. My surround that is plastic is deforming a little. I may have to go with some chimney flashing. I have a 10" roll here, I would have to go 8" or 6" when I replace it. The 10" depth is hard to reach down and place something with wet paint on it.

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

A front loader, might be a good idea. My surround that is plastic is deforming a little. I may have to go with some chimney flashing. I have a 10" roll here, I would have to go 8" or 6" when I replace it. The 10" depth is hard to reach down and place something with wet paint on it.

Can you attach the surround to the lid so you don’t have to reach down inside?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Can you attach the surround to the lid so you don’t have to reach down inside?

I had thought about that, then I have to lift the whole thing straight up. Then get it down straight down again. The lid as it exists takes a little fiddling to get it back on. The surround is not 100% round. I did better with my aluminum one. I'll see if I have some 8" flashing around. 

Back when I worked and we has a sheetmetal shop, I would have had someone make me a surround from .040" or .062" aluminum with a door in the side. Those guys could make anything.

Edited by bobss396