Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi R8 - DONE

landman

The instructions and reference photos call for the large vertical rear quarter panel to be semi-gloss black. I have decided to make mine carbon fiber. I realize gray would have been better but this is what I have.

IMG_7563.JPG.b8c0120b410da43aaac1052612b1a282.JPG

IMG_7565.JPG.ef5b246a3c6654fbe61aa94b27c026a0.JPG

Edited by landman

21 hours ago, landman said:

Interior done. You think you're doing a good job until you look at the pictures. Then you say...........well, you know. :huh:

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

Digital cameras do this,i have taken pics and afterwards done the same thing!!

On 8/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, Styrofoam04 said:

wow great work, love that diorama

Thank you Joel. However the great work just came to a screeching halt. The clear on the painted spoon worked fine.

IMG_7566.JPG.7f2ccfcf56fd38e32c80d611dd50a92a.JPG

However, on the car it was a different story.

IMG_7567.JPG.8855c37daca8768908b8afb22d1bf985.JPG

So back in the box it goes.

IMG_7568.JPG.4b4273e7703ce7e46add2eaa9b77887e.JPG

Edited by landman

Sorry to hear. Trust me I know what I set back like this does. It's discouraging and I completely Rage quit when I messed up the paint on my project 4-5 years ago. It's only been recently that I pulled it out of the box to fix it. Now I'm having fun with it.
so my advice is work on another project and you'll eventually come back to this.

1 hour ago, Styrofoam04 said:

Sorry to hear. Trust me I know what I set back like this does. It's discouraging and I completely Rage quit when I messed up the paint on my project 4-5 years ago. It's only been recently that I pulled it out of the box to fix it. Now I'm having fun with it.
so my advice is work on another project and you'll eventually come back to this.

My plan exactly. A motor to ease the frustration then the Revell auto transporter.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:58 AM, dino246gt said:

It's just a can of Dupli-Color that I liked, not an accurate AUDI color. The uptop and interior are different shades of beige. I de-chromed the wheels.

I think MotoMaster is the old name of Duplicolor.

P1090198 (Large).JPG

8 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

Love your engine! The spider kit doesn't have full engine detail, because of the small opening for the spider, not much of the engine shows.

That is quite the trio. Is than an Aston Martin in the middle?

On 8/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, dino246gt said:

It's just a can of Dupli-Color that I liked, not an accurate AUDI color. The uptop and interior are different shades of beige. I de-chromed the wheels.

I assume the license plate refers to the color. ^_^

8 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Did you prime it with the same brand...?

Good question, I can’t remember. They keep changing the Duplicolor primers and somehow I ended up with primer sealer insread of primer. I thought it primed and sealed but it only seals existing primers. It is possible the primer on the spoon was different than that on the model. 

3 hours ago, landman said:

Good question, I can’t remember. They keep changing the Duplicolor primers and somehow I ended up with primer sealer insread of primer. I thought it primed and sealed but it only seals existing primers. It is possible the primer on the spoon was different than that on the model. 

Sorry to hear that about your finish, I've been there. My main paint to use is Duplicolor, been using it for 35+ years now, and I noticed that just because they have a White, black, and a Sealer gray primer, doesn't mean it is friendly to plastic. No matter what I did, ALL three of these primers sprayed directly on the plastic will kraze like this.....its stupid. The Gray, and Red Filler primers however, work beautifully!!, and if you put that down first, you can use their other primers with success. 

Also; your interior is looking GREAT!!, and just slightly changing your photo angles can keep things looking like they really are, since the inconsistent sheen from detail painting with a brush can make things look a bit "muddy". All of us get that from time to time, and remember that NOBODY builds a perfect model, but learning how to distract with detail,  cleverly covering things up, and moving the parts around until the best angle is found for your photo, will make help make things work in your favor.

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Sorry to hear that about your finish, I've been there. My main paint to use is Duplicolor, been using it for 35+ years now, and I noticed that just because they have a White, black, and a Sealer gray primer, doesn't mean it is friendly to plastic. No matter what I did, ALL three of these primers sprayed directly on the plastic will kraze like this.....its stupid. The Gray, and Red Filler primers however, work beautifully!!, and if you put that down first, you can use their other primers with success. 

Also; your interior is looking GREAT!!, and just slightly changing your photo angles can keep things looking like they really are, since the inconsistent sheen from detail painting with a brush can make things look a bit "muddy". All of us get that from time to time, and remember that NOBODY builds a perfect model, but learning how to distract with detail,  cleverly covering things up, and moving the parts around until the best angle is found for your photo, will make help make things work in your favor.

And to think I was avoiding those two because I was afraid they might hide details. Live and learn. thanks Dann.

3 hours ago, landman said:

And to think I was avoiding those two because I was afraid they might hide details. Live and learn. thanks Dann.

You're welcome, Pat!, I woulda thought the same thing about them hiding detail, but like I said, I've been using them for 35+ years now, and I love them! you can look at the details of any of my builds, and see. ….even my Paganis interior is done with the red filler primer......after 2 coats of gray filler, 2 black primer, and 2 coats of Universal Black Metallic.

• 3 weeks later...