Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Belair Convertible

OldTrucker

2 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Very nicely done, sir. I like the way you put the white stripe on the wheel covers, then highlighted the bow tie emblems (not too many people notice that).

If you're going to be doing some more '55s, consider carefully sanding off the backside of the grille with a Dremel/sanding drum combo to open it up. I did that on my '55...the tongue depressor is used merely to show that the grille is open. Just a thought...

image.png.78c34eca293db6a1d8533fdffe767ff7.png

I actually gave it a thought but then decided I would play it safe!:lol:

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Steve, the Honduras Maroon is a metallic paint.  PPG lists it as “Honduras Maroon Poly”.  It’s actually a very attractive paint.

Maybe the real stuff, but not the Testors lacquer.

I pulled it out last night & checked.

I don't see any indication of any metallic in it.

Steve

On 8/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Maybe the real stuff, but not the Testors lacquer.

I pulled it out last night & checked.

I don't see any indication of any metallic in it.

Steve

Steve, although the label does not indicate it the Testors Honduras Maroon is metallic (and reddish orange in direct sun).

IMG_3235.JPG

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Steve, although the label does not indicate it the Testors Honduras Maroon is metallic (and reddish orange in direct sun).

IMG_3235.JPG

You're right Curt!

I shot a little bit of it on a piece of cardboard the other day & I didn't see any metallic in it, but I didn't shake it very well.

After a read this post, I pulled out a spoon & tested it again.

I guess the thing that surprises me more than anything is how fine the metallic particles are in this paint!

It actually looks very nice!

As a rule, the Testors metallics are so far out of whack that I don't even consider using them anymore.

But this one is so nice that I will have to use it now!

Hmmm.......which kit to use it on. ;)

Thanks Curt!

Now I can use a can of paint that I thought that I would probably never use.

Steve

That’s great!  I agree the scale of the metallic particles is much better in some Testors paints.  This maroon and Nassau Blue are two examples, while Citrus Yellow comes to mind as one with large flakes that only looks right on a custom.

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s great!  I agree the scale of the metallic particles is much better in some Testors paints.  This maroon and Nassau Blue are two examples, while Citrus Yellow comes to mind as one with large flakes that only looks right on a custom.

A couple of the really bad ones that come to mind for me are the "Evening Orchid" and one of the metallic turquoise colors. (I forget the name)

I use almost no Testors spray paints anymore, specifically because of this issue.

Steve