Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya AMG GT3

Ich_Will

Hi Will, I agree, this is looking good. Tamiya brakes look better stock-box than some fancy PE upgrade parts... 

Good idea about using the drill for the buttons, but why not go all the way? For the colored buttons (yellow, white, blue, red) you could drill the hole through. Then push an Evergreen round rod painted (before) in the right colors from the bottom into the hole just enough to make it look like colored buttons...  What do you think?

Edited by Tommy124

41 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Will, I agree, this is looking good. Tamiya brakes look better stock-box than some fancy PE update parts... 

Good idea about using the drill for the buttons, but why not go all the way? For the colored buttons (yellow, white, blue, red) you could drill the hole through. Then push an Evergreen round rod painted (before) in the right colors from the bottom into the hole just enough to make it look like colored buttons...  What do you think?

That's a great idea. I'll have a look and see what I can come up with for rod.  What if a guy put a tiny button on the end of the drill-sized rod, painted the button and then pushed the whole thing in? Since it appears each button is very small with a guard around it.  Looks like it's time for a trip to the LHS for some Evergreen rod. 

@Tommy124, something like this? It’s hard to photograph but I took a #62 drill, heated the blunt end and pushed down the buttons leaving a ridge around them. Then I drilled out the center with a #67, painted rod and glued it in. I have a couple left to do and 2 or 3 I couldn’t do because of them being too close to others. If I did this all over again I’d do it before painting and with even smaller tools/rod. 

59A90A13-BBF6-48E9-A45D-26FC80AC11B8.jpeg

B184E8E0-02BC-4FC4-96F0-B06DCDBFE037.jpeg

F9D43972-7C40-48B6-B573-96D0CD62E298.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ich_Will said:

@Tommy124, something like this? It’s hard to photograph but I took a #62 drill, heated the blunt end and pushed down the buttons leaving a ridge around them. Then I drilled out the center with a #67, painted rod and glued it in. I have a couple left to do and 2 or 3 I couldn’t do because of them being too close to others. If I did this all over again I’d do it before painting and with even smaller tools/rod. 

59A90A13-BBF6-48E9-A45D-26FC80AC11B8.jpeg

B184E8E0-02BC-4FC4-96F0-B06DCDBFE037.jpeg

F9D43972-7C40-48B6-B573-96D0CD62E298.jpeg

Still, its totally BRILLIANT, bud!!!!

13 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Great result Will! Yes, the rods could be a tad smaller but looking good anyway... Pushing parts in from the other side is a great technique, I think. It works well with all kinds of buttons on dashboards etc. (Needless to say, it wasn't me who figured that technique out...) :D

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

That looks OUTSTANDING, bud!!!!!....i'm getting excited to see the end!!!

I almost didn’t do this one at all. For some reason I was very intimidated by it. I’ve done a bunch of Tamiya before so I shouldn’t have been, but this just felt different. 

The last of the main body decals went on today. Now for a little paint polish where the sol/set left spots, a clear coat and then a thousand more bits to finish. I’m looking forward to a road car again but I have 3 more race cars on the bench, and I swore I’d finish those before I start anything else. D75DC528-FAFA-4704-ADA2-F819DB12D12C.thumb.jpeg.63b6a0a122eab8a030fa7f81746d606d.jpeg

A400FC64-D906-4522-877C-066371A8DA9E.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

The last of the main body decals went on today. Now for a little paint polish where the sol/set left spots, a clear coat and then a thousand more bits to finish. I’m looking forward to a road car again but I have 3 more race cars on the bench, and I swore I’d finish those before I start anything else. D75DC528-FAFA-4704-ADA2-F819DB12D12C.thumb.jpeg.63b6a0a122eab8a030fa7f81746d606d.jpeg

A400FC64-D906-4522-877C-066371A8DA9E.jpeg

Absolutely STUNNING, bud!!!!