Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boat Model Build Off

Hello Harry: Thanks for the tips. I have indeed noticed the title at the top of the page. Just wondering if you noticed the cover story on model boats just a few issues ago? I will keep the word boat in the title of my posts so you don't have to waste your time reading them. Thanks, Merk

Cover story on model boats? I guess I missed that one. Which issue are you talking about?

Hello Cal: Welcome aboard, You are entry number one.I had originaly thought no ships, thinking boats only to better fit the theme of the magazine but after listening to Harry have changed my mind and will allow ship models into the build off. Your project looks like a fun build, Go for it! I will hold open the entry for a long time and will announce an end date quite a ways out so everyone will have plenty of build time. There will be prizes. Here's a look at whats on my boat building bench. Thanks, Merks

Can I get about two years? which will be about how long to build a plank on plank wooden ship with full rigging and sails. ;)

Merk,,,,,very promising boats....can you finish them and bring them to the NNL Natinoals in Toledo this fall? I'm planning to bring about six or seven of my most recent boat builds and hope to have them be part of an informal display of 1/25th scale boats from several builders ....

And Harry....regarding boats and model cars....we're all part of one big family replicating in 1/25th scale the best of the 1/1 scale car world. Drag Boats and Ski Boats were an incredibly integral part of the car scene in the 1960's....including making up about 10% of any indoor hot rod car show of the era and being the subject of frequent full color features (and even a cover or two) in Hot Rod magazine for better than a decade. And I understand Hot Rod is again getting reader feedback asking for drag boats.....!

Let's see....monster engines....great paint jobs....swoopy styliing....bucket seats and tachs...heroic drivers who were also frequently the builders (e.g. Rudy Ramos)....plus they look great in diagrams and hooked up to all of our 1/25th tow vehicles.....sounds to me like they should be part of our 1.25th scale world. Just my take...

Best regards....TIM

:o Tim, I sure did like the article you wrote for the Nov(127) 07' issue. I even went on the bay an found me theoriginal AMT drag boat from 1963.Paid a decent price for it too! Now I've got ALL the drag boats you wrote about! I agree, that drag boats ARE a part of our culture. 1/1 or 1/25th, Drag boats are just plain cool!!!! :blink:

Thanks, Tim for presenting justification for model boats. They were big in the 60's or so. I remember some articles in the mags back then, including model boats with electric motors running in troughs of water, drag-style. Kinda went along with the slot-cars at the time. Lots of hotrod boats out there!

And Harry....regarding boats and model cars....we're all part of one big family replicating in 1/25th scale the best of the 1/1 scale car world. Drag Boats and Ski Boats were an incredibly integral part of the car scene in the 1960's....including making up about 10% of any indoor hot rod car show of the era and being the subject of frequent full color features (and even a cover or two) in Hot Rod magazine for better than a decade. And I understand Hot Rod is again getting reader feedback asking for drag boats.....!

Let's see....monster engines....great paint jobs....swoopy styliing....bucket seats and tachs...heroic drivers who were also frequently the builders (e.g. Rudy Ramos)....plus they look great in diagrams and hooked up to all of our 1/25th tow vehicles.....sounds to me like they should be part of our 1.25th scale world. Just my take...

Best regards....TIM

OK, Tim and Merk... before you guys hang me in effigy I think I'd better respond.

For the record, I have NOTHING against model boats/ships. In fact, the last model I completed, just days ago, is a Mississippi riverboat! I'd be glad to post the pics if you guys are interested. In fact, I'm pretty proud of it!

My point was NOT to put down model boats and ships....I was simply pointing out that this being a model CAR specific site, it may not be the best venue to stage a model boat build-off....nothing more, nothing less.

:o Harry, I may sound like a flip-flopper, But I think you DO gotta point there.If there is gonna be a build-off, I think it should be for drag boats only.The AMT,Revell boats and even the Drag-Hydros like the ones that Altered States has.But a Mississippi Riverboat ain't gonna cut it(Sorry Harry).Just auto motored,or performance boats should be allowed.And it should be restricted to 1/24th,25th scale.Just my take on this. But it does sound like a cool idea! :blink:

OK, I'll bite...

This one was built for SAE's "Build a PT Cruiser" contest. I wanted to do sorta an "over the top" entry so I started thinking about a PT boat. I got my buddy Tommy May involved, since I thought the boat by itself would be kinda boring. He went to work on the "PT Truk" while I got on the boat & trailer. Once it was complete, we sent the photos in, and the weird thing is that it was sent in as one entry, but only the truck came back with an "honorable mention."

We bashed a few kits for this rig, 3 PT cruisers, 2 Plymouth Prowlers, 2 Sidewinder Pickups, a Revell bass boat, and an RMS Titanic (for the propellers). Paint is "Battleship Gray" with a custom mixed white/red pearl. I've got to dig it out but I have pics of the boat in the water. I weighted the hull so it would float.

A fun build, hopefully it gets some people interested in a build off.

P1013715-vi.jpg

P1013708-vi.jpg

P1013710-vi.jpg

P1013790-vi.jpg

TK

Nice work Tim. I understand what Harry is saying and he is right, it is a car forum. Personally it doesn't bother me in the least bit to see this subject come up in the forum, I always say that you learn from anything done in scale. I have always loved the subject myself, never really got deep into it because I spend enough money on my models as it is. I don't want it to go as far as people starting to post tanks and stuff but it's a little healthy once in a while :(:rolleyes: I also think that it's posted in the right place so I will be checking in from time to time just to see what's going on!!!

:( Tim, I sure did like the article you wrote for the Nov(127) 07' issue. I even went on the bay an found me theoriginal AMT drag boat from 1963.Paid a decent price for it too! Now I've got ALL the drag boats you wrote about! I agree, that drag boats ARE a part of our culture. 1/1 or 1/25th, Drag boats are just plain cool!!!! :)

George, drag boats ARE part of the 'culture'. I recall the early '60s, around San Jose, CA. Everybody was cruisin' the main: Customs, Gassers, hot rods, and Corvettes; No Datsuns, Honda cars, or Toyota tincans!

But there was a new thing: Towing your drag boat around! There were Ski-Boats with shiny Olds, Buick, Cad, Hemi mills; Dry Stacks made 'em look like Drag Boats,,,the girls followed these guys like the rats after the Pied Piper!

Some tow vehicles were milder than others, but most sported candy paint, scallops, or chrome wheels.

Seems like everything was lowered, and the boat trailers were no exception!

Ernie Rose was a Big-Buck guy of 21, had a new '60 Cad Coupe DeVille, shaved with Candy Apple red paint...Looked like a Full Custom! But his boat was a Sanger hull, with trailer to match it AND the "Candy Caddy". Boat engine was a 430 Lincoln, with 6-71 GMC blower, driven by 6 Vee Belts!

You could hear the gasp as he drove by...In those days, it was like something right out of the Oakland Roadster show! My bud and I helped Ernie unload it one day at Anderson Dam. He says, "Jump in, we'll warm it up." Jim and I got in, Ernie idled it out about 100 ft., and cracked the throttle. The boat literally jumped out of the water, running with only its prop submersed...Jim and I almost flew out the back.

Tightened up my respect for boats. Traction City!

My brother did an AMT Runabout with a flathead, behind his REvell '46 Woody, custom trailer. Got an award at the Santa Clara NNL, 2004

Over 15 years ago I started converting a Miami Vice speedboat (1/32ish) into a 1/25 boat and I also started a F1 race boat. I even started scratchbuilding a trailer for it. The F1 has been in primer for over 14 years B) If I find them I'll post some pics...

Thanks,

Ismael, when I did the drag and ski boat kit history a couple of years ago, I pulled out that Miami Vice kit and was surprised just how good it was. I then started thinking about what it would look like built as a 1/25th scale boat....and I would simply love to see what you accomplished so far with your build.

Please dig it out and take some pix!

]

Best regards....TIM

Nice work Tim. I understand what Harry is saying and he is right, it is a car forum. Personally it doesn't bother me in the least bit to see this subject come up in the forum, I always say that you learn from anything done in scale. I have always loved the subject myself, never really got deep into it because I spend enough money on my models as it is. I don't want it to go as far as people starting to post tanks and stuff but it's a little healthy once in a while :rolleyes::rolleyes: I also think that it's posted in the right place so I will be checking in from time to time just to see what's going on!!!

Marcos, thanks for the kind word! God knows I don';t what tanks and the like in our model car world either. But I strongly believe (and I understand not all of you agree) that other 1/25th scale automotive-related topics like bikes, trucks, and even farm tractors belong in our circle of interest. And so do drag, ski, and pleasure boats (again, if they are 1/25th scale and something you would find towable behind a 1/25th scale vehicle).

BTW, appreciate the "civil discourse" on this thread....good we can get our differing views out there wihout offending anyone! TIM

Tim, you had me digging up boxes that had not seen light in over a decade :P

Here is the racing boat. I lost interest when I started thinking on a wild tiger stripes paint job and how to make the engine steering work. I have since then lost all other parts. :rolleyes:

DSCF8048-vi.jpg

This is the trailer I started to scratchbuild for the Miami Vice boat but in 1/25. I lost interest when I started fooling around with working leaf springs for it :blink:

DSCF8049-vi.jpg

DSCF8050-vi.jpg

And this is the 1/32? Miami Vice boat I started to convert to 1/25. The seat and steering wheel are from the parts box, most likely from a '70s van and a Model A pickup respectively. The seat is in a piece of aluminum tubing like a bar stool. I lost interest when I started fooling around with the idea of a '67 Corvette hood as engine cover, but then I wanted to put a 427 in it and scratchbuild the rest of the powertrain etc etc. Do you see a pattern here? :rolleyes::rolleyes: I tell you, it's not easy to be diagnosed with "overcomplicaditis"

DSCF8054-vi.jpg

I even built this to pull it...

MVC-453F.jpg

MVC-452F.jpg

Who knows, some day I may get back to those ;)

Thanks,

Here's one I built a few years ago from the re-released AMT kit. The color doesn't come across well in the photos, but it's a metallic silver/gray with a pearl overcoat. The stripes came from a Slixx Pro Stock decal. Engine is the DeSoto from the AMT Effie, with the exhaust turnouts from an Edmunds supermod. The seats were from the parts box-Revell 1st generation Willys I believe. Not sure where I got the tool boxes for the trailer...

post-305-1218085132_thumb.jpg

post-305-1218085145_thumb.jpg

post-305-1218085157_thumb.jpg

Edited by USAC_1957

Tim, you had me digging up boxes that had not seen light in over a decade :D

Here is the racing boat. I lost interest when I started thinking on a wild tiger stripes paint job and how to make the engine steering work. I have since then lost all other parts. ;)

DSCF8048-vi.jpg

This is the trailer I started to scratchbuild for the Miami Vice boat but in 1/25. I lost interest when I started fooling around with working leaf springs for it :rolleyes:

DSCF8049-vi.jpg

DSCF8050-vi.jpg

And this is the 1/32? Miami Vice boat I started to convert to 1/25. The seat and steering wheel are from the parts box, most likely from a '70s van and a Model A pickup respectively. The seat is in a piece of aluminum tubing like a bar stool. I lost interest when I started fooling around with the idea of a '67 Corvette hood as engine cover, but then I wanted to put a 427 in it and scratchbuild the rest of the powertrain etc etc. Do you see a pattern here? :rolleyes::rolleyes: I tell you, it's not easy to be diagnosed with "overcomplicaditis"

DSCF8054-vi.jpg

I even built this to pull it...

MVC-453F.jpg

MVC-452F.jpg

Who knows, some day I may get back to those :)

Thanks,

Ismael, sure hope you get a chance to finish one or both of those...the Miami Vice in particular shows loads of possibilties....maybe just do it as a simple build rather than a knock-down model...as the visuals alone will go a long way to getting attention! TIM

Guest zebm1

Well, I have tha pieces for a "Gator Chaser", Flawduh style party boat. Haveta think about it tho. ;) Was gonna build a dio...Gator Chaser on tha rescue, Gregg and Jairus in rubber dingey using oars to fight off Flawduh gators ta keep from gettin' et. :D:):rolleyes:

Caption: Hey Gregg, you ever seen floating eyeballs? - says Jairus......

Floating eyeballs....... where? - says Gregg

Oh, about 2 maybe 3 feet behind you. - says Jairus

Oh mah Gawd, PADDLE YOU FOOL!!! THATS AHH 15 FOOT ALIGATOR !!!!!!

HAAALP !!! Goes tha chorus,,,,,, arms swingin' paddles like a Big Block Drag Boat............

Edited by zebm1