Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria

mrmike

Great looking color combination. Back when these were new a family friend had an all white convertible with this interior and it was beautiful. One thing I have learned to accept building a lot of  '50's and '60's models is that you will go thru a lot of foil. 

The 56 Vicky is coming together!  Yesterday, I got the body interior, and chassis together after I installed the glass.  I ran into an issue with the front windshield not fitting correctly.  I had to trim the mount on the side panel top lower the dash and as I was packing things up for the night, the windshield popped out.  I didn't lower the dash enough.  I'll have to figure a way to reinstall the windshield without have to resort to taking everything apart.  The windshield was cleaned up and the taillights have been detailed.

More to come...

56Viky64.JPG

56Viky65.JPG

56Viky66.JPG

Thank you Tulio!  Unfortunately, the dash still sits a little too high, but I will try again to get the windshield installed.  As for the inside rear view mirror, my kit didn't seem to have one and I couldn't check my empty parts sprues to see if there was one at all since I throw them out when the are empty.  I can go into my parts box and find one if I really need to.

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Thank you Tulio!  Unfortunately, the dash still sits a little too high, but I will try again to get the windshield installed.  As for the inside rear view mirror, my kit didn't seem to have one and I couldn't check my empty parts sprues to see if there was one at all since I throw them out when the are empty.  I can go into my parts box and find one if I really need to.

The dash has no positive location marking on the interior tub, and where one thinks it's the right spot, usually is too high. That causes all the problems. What I do is first install the glass to the body, then glue the dash to the body, making sure the doors can open and close, and just then I place the interior tube on the body. The only hard part is having the steering column in a good position before installing the interior or it will interfere with the fit. 

Learned this trick with the AMT '57 Ford kit. 

While this is a great kit, AMT was trying to put so many details and opening doors and all it make for a fiddly build. My compliments to you for the proper routing of the spark plug wires. As a builder you put the details like plug wires and they're routed in such a way that they are hardly seen, but they are there and where they belong. It's a personal thing with me as a closet rivet counter. 

Well David, I am finding that, at my great age, little things mean a lot.  I add details that stand out and the other details can be done by those who are well enough to do them.  Adding plug wires is one thing, but when you have them routed like they are on a 1:1, then it just looks better.  Now, if I can figure a way to get rid of all the dog hair this model attracts, I'll be golden! 

BTW, I have two dogs.  A Terrier mix and a Golden Retriever and they both shed like crazy!

I miss all the dogs I have had over the years, but there is one that I truly miss the most and his name was Dakota.  I have a photograph of him lying on the front lawn looking like a lion with a massive amount of chest fur and his total weight of 105 Lbs.  He was a big boy!

I am nearing the finish line with my '56 Fairlane!  I noticed that there is no master cylinder on this car, so back into the parts box and I found a power brake booster and master cylinder.  I drilled a hole in the firewall and added the brake assembly.  Another thing I noticed was no pipes to the rear bumper exhaust tips.  I made a set painted and installed them.  I added the trunk lid crest and rear plate holder.  I need to detail the crest.

More to come...

56Viky70.JPG

56Viky71.JPG

56Viky72.JPG