Model Cars Magazine Forum

Info source for new import kits?

Hi all!

I am a fan of the import models (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima, etc). Does anyone know of a source for information on all the new and "coming soon" models? I am having a hard time finding this info. Tamiya does a good job of showcasing thier coming-soon items, but the rest are not so easy to research. Thanks!

-Aydin

I cannot recommend James' channel enough! I watch every "episode" and they are chock full of info.  Not only does he tell you what is coming out, and when, but he will give a little history of the kit and he will tell you if it is good or bad.  He'll let you know if it is a new tool, modified reissue or just a repop.  He will also answer questions in the comments section.  One last thing....his rants and diatribes are hilarious and on point at the same time.

Yay me!  Glad to see you've already gotten your welcome beating over daring to like cars manufactured outside of the parameters "GAAAAAAAAASAR", "1971" and "MURICA!" when your little post about your stash was hijacked by the Re-education Camp minders who found it devoid of 18 copies of the '70 Impala Heavy Chevy kit they all have.  

Ahahhaha! I appreciate it! And thanks for the welcome, I enjoyed your YouTube channel! 

Honestly, I Love American muscle cars! What I can’t get over is the quality of the Japanese (especially Tamiya) kits though. If they made more American cars, I would build more! Is it controversial to say that the Tamiya kits are of superior quality than the average AMT? Will I be shunned here? We all are entitled to our opinions, but I don’t feel like offending the residents :) 

I built an AMT 280zxt earlier this year, and it took MUCH more work than my Tamiya builds. Pics attached. 

With that said, I guess I am an import guy. My first car was an 85’ 300zx, followed by a 71’ 240z (which I heavily modified). When I got older, I had a Z4 hardtop, and my current car is an 08’ 335i 

AAEAD650-CDF3-43D7-8982-F823B9E0FC23.jpeg

74788E87-C538-4F6E-B6B2-C761A73FEE17.jpeg

8BFCAF4D-7906-4FF5-94B5-FCAD330436AC.jpeg

FA3A144C-40D3-48F2-A5C2-3CDDA497DA05.jpeg

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yay me!  Glad to see you've already gotten your welcome beating over daring to like cars manufactured outside of the parameters "GAAAAAAAAASAR", "1971" and "MURICA!" when your little post about your stash was hijacked by the Re-education Camp minders who found it devoid of 18 copies of the '70 Impala Heavy Chevy kit they all have.  

DITTO!  But 1969, that's the Glory Days.

Start here, this should vacuum up all your disposable income.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/car/

49 minutes ago, Ahajmano said:

Honestly, I Love American muscle cars! What I can’t get over is the quality of the Japanese (especially Tamiya) kits though. If they made more American cars, I would build more! Is it controversial to say that the Tamiya kits are of superior quality than the average AMT? Will I be shunned here? We all are entitled to our opinions, but I don’t feel like offending the residents :) 

I built an AMT 280zxt earlier this year, and it took MUCH more work than my Tamiya builds. Pics attached. 

In reality it's just a statement of fact not an opinion.  Although to be perfectly fair if you were comparing that 1980s AMT kit with a 1980s Tamiya kit - the Tamiya kit might be arguably worse in terms of overall quality since a few of their first 1/24 kits were little more than disassembled motorized toys.  You have to get into kits manufactured in the late-80s to present before the "Tamiya-like quality" is actually the standard that term implies.

I would agree with that! Setting Tamiya aside for a moment, I just built an 83’ Fujimi Datsun 200sx. It was really a terrible kit! Very little detail and the mirrors and trim were so poorly designed, they will break off now with the easiest effort. I think I have re-glued it with CA now 3 times. Still... it’s not like they make that make+model anymore so whatcha gonna do.  

1D2D60C8-1BAC-4CF7-82BF-3AE62E620321.jpeg

48F553D9-3E71-4DD3-BA0D-2D430DE7662B.jpeg

70666315-3E85-4E63-91EA-4C07D424BE28.jpeg

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Although to be perfectly fair if you were comparing that 1980s AMT kit with a 1980s Tamiya kit - the Tamiya kit might be arguably worse in terms of overall quality since a few of their first 1/24 kits were little more than disassembled motorized toys.  You have to get into kits manufactured in the late-80s to present before the "Tamiya-like quality" is actually the standard that term implies.

Interesting that if you were to compare the 1980's AMT 280 ZX and the 1970's Tamiya 280 ZX kits, eventhough the Tamiya one is motorized, the fit and finish is still far superior to AMT until you pick them up and look at the chassis.

As far as 1/24 car kits are concerned, you would really need to go back to the 70's to find a bad Tamiya kit.  By 1983 Tamiya was already producing exquisite full detailed kits like the Honda Prelude XX.

Edited by fumi