Model Cars Magazine Forum

HEEELLLP NEW TOY IS RUINING ME

was given a new compressor, from model expo, with tank and regulator...... i can use my car touch-up gun for 2 part variprime primer fairly well, minimal issues however.....

ruining paint, i went to paint a mustang been working on, and it ruined / orabnge peeled and string dussted white paint, and totally flipped me out, I was only using 10lbs psi and ford Oxford White paint thinned as usual like i did with badger compressor

helpplease i just ruined months of work and prep

bill d.

Guest Gramps-xrds

From what you're saying, it sounds like it isn't thinned enough or the thinner is too quick drying. Air is air, it shouldn't make any diff where it comes from. The only way the air would make any diff is if it were heated. Have you changed the type or speed of the thinner ? Another thing is the thinner isn't compatable w/ the paint you're using.

Edited by Gramps-xrds

The "string dusted white" thing you mention, does it look like cotton candy? If so, that is called "veiling" and it means paint drying in the air before hitting the surface, so you get paint dust particles in the surface instead of atomized liquid. You need to sand it down as adding more paint will not help. To prevent that you need to increase the pressure (I use 20-25 psi) make sure the paint is thinned enough and get closer to the surface. Way too many variables can contribute to this, including those less likely, such as a faulty regulator that may be reading wrong.

Good luck!

Thanks,

I would also say you are probably not using enough pressure. I wouldn't say I never paint that low, but only for special techniques and with really thin paint.

The stringyness is some kind of paint issue, which I have experienced from time to time with MR Surfacers.

Like Izzy, I too use between 20-25 psi for painting with my airbrush. I have a dual tank compressor which has a built in pressure guage...............

P8051837-vi.jpg

Also I've found that even though I decant aerosol paints into an airbrush jar, I still thin my paint out to the consistency of milk for airbrushing.

Lord knows how much pressure is in those cans so I can't trust that just because the spray will come out of the can, it may not with the pressure I want to use for the compressor.

As others have mentioned------I believe low pressure is your culprit. :blink:

HTH!

while you can paint at 10 psi.....Don't.

Most paint mfgrs will tell you your base for use with their products. Other than Auto-Air paints (50psi) most shoot with an airbrush at 20 to 25 psi which is what your badger put out. Mix your paint the same at the same psi and air is air...but change your mix, psi,hose length, temp........and results will change.

Lesson learned is do not try new stuff on the top shelf...TEST TEST TEST.....and then cross your fingers!! Sounds like its time for the purple pond!! :rolleyes::lol:

I'm in agreement with everyone about the air pressure. I only shoot certain paints, like Alclad, at 10 PSI. But I usually shoot most paints between 20 and 30 PSI. Some epoxy paints I'll shoot close to 50 PSI.

The other thing that came to mind with the strings coming out is that the thinner might not have been compatible with the paint. Or you could have had contaminates in your paint cup or in the airbrush itself. I've had this happen with clear coats where I hadn't cleaned out my paint cup thoroughly and the clear started to catalyze in the cup.

Another possibility...was it a hot day? Temperatures and humidity will reek havoc on paints.

If you are using a touchup gun the pressure should be 45-60 lbs. Only a HVLP Gravity feed type gun can use 10 PSI. With proper pressures a touchup gun is probably better for one color body paint jobs. Thinners come in different drying rates and to fast drying thinner could be the problem.

I'm in agreement with everyone about the air pressure. I only shoot certain paints, like Alclad, at 10 PSI. But I usually shoot most paints between 20 and 30 PSI. Some epoxy paints I'll shoot close to 50 PSI.

The other thing that came to mind with the strings coming out is that the thinner might not have been compatible with the paint. Or you could have had contaminates in your paint cup or in the airbrush itself. I've had this happen with clear coats where I hadn't cleaned out my paint cup thoroughly and the clear started to catalyze in the cup.

Another possibility...was it a hot day? Temperatures and humidity will reek havoc on paints.

Yeah that happens with synthetic lacquers and alcohol

This is a fantastic board!

Every single point I was going to make was answered.

You guys going after my job?

Does that mean you want my Ferrari and house on the beach too?

(yeah, I wish!)

Seriously, use more than adequate protection when spraying the Green Death paint.

I had to quit spraying two-part, I was getting real bad.

Raise the pressure, run the hose up also after the traps, and make sure thinner is correct.

Actually, I have been able to spray 95% of the paints with lacquer thinner, with great results, go figure....

This is a fantastic board!

Every single point I was going to make was answered.

You guys going after my job?

Does that mean you want my Ferrari and house on the beach too?

(yeah, I wish!)

Seriously, use more than adequate protection when spraying the Green Death paint.

I had to quit spraying two-part, I was getting real bad.

Raise the pressure, run the hose up also after the traps, and make sure thinner is correct.

Actually, I have been able to spray 95% of the paints with lacquer thinner, with great results, go figure....

Thats why we are here Gregg ;):huh::P

PS.....keep the house....I just want the Ferrari :lol:;)