Model Cars Magazine Forum

Doctor DRYbooth

I use a homemade repurposed cabinet with a light bulb socket installed in the top of it. A piece of glass under the bulb inside the cabinet and then lined with reflective insulation. I have used weatherstrip to seal the plexiglass door and a latch to keep closed. I use a 95 watt bulb and turn it on a couple hours before I need it. I also have a thermometer inside so I can monitor the temps. It gets to about 105 F. inside. Paint dries and flows way better then without the baking cabinet. I got the idea from I think it was called Dr. Cadillac drying booth or something like that. I don't have a picture at work but will try to post one up later so you can see what I use. I like it this way because I have no fan running to mix up dust and introduce it into my paint jobs.

21 hours ago, BMXNBULLDOG said:

I use a homemade repurposed cabinet with a light bulb socket installed in the top of it. A piece of glass under the bulb inside the cabinet and then lined with reflective insulation. I have used weatherstrip to seal the plexiglass door and a latch to keep closed. I use a 95 watt bulb and turn it on a couple hours before I need it. I also have a thermometer inside so I can monitor the temps. It gets to about 105 F. inside. Paint dries and flows way better then without the baking cabinet. I got the idea from I think it was called Dr. Cadillac drying booth or something like that. I don't have a picture at work but will try to post one up later so you can see what I use. I like it this way because I have no fan running to mix up dust and introduce it into my paint jobs.

I like this Idea, sounds like a relatively easy DIY project. And the fact there is no fan stirring dust particles around.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I bought the Dr. Drybooth and honestly, glad I did.  I have 2 friends that have used converted/modified dehydrators that got too hot and warped plastic.  This does not.  I put a thermometer inside and it never got hotter than 110 degrees.  Paint is dry in no time.

I'm not an advanced modeler by any means nor am I a rookie but I like the fact that I can trust this to work and not damage anything that is put inside.  By the way, I have painted several things now and dried them in the booth and there is no dust issue that I can see.  But if that is a concern, all that is needed is a peice of filter paper underneath of the booth where the circulating air is drawn in from.

Edited by BDSchindler

I bought a food dehydrator in the late '80s (when they started to get popular).  Probably paid less than $20.  I cut out some trays inside to get enough vertical clearance to use it for car bodies.  It is really bare-bones unit. It has a 40W heating element on the bottom and it stays always on.  There are adjustable shutters on the top and bottom which can somewhat control the internal temperature. For years I was just using it without any temperature readings, but I eventually got a  cooking thermometer and stuck it in the lid.  The temperature stays between 115-120 F and in the 30+ years I have used, I have never melted, damaged or warped any plastic or resin parts I put in it.

The Micro Mark thingie seems like a way overkill, but you have the money, go for it.