Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi sport Quattro S1 updated 2/2/19

Gt fan

3 hours ago, carmad1957 said:

Man o man...that's looking super! Mind sharing how you get that heat stain look? That's really nice.

Thanks

I use the Tamiya weathering kits. I start with burnt blue and then some burnt red. I some times use a dry brush of clear red. After that step I use the soot mixed with the rust in the weathering kit. The rust with the black gives it a “ worn tone “ that’s not as harsh as just black. In the new photos the skid plates have been added. On the front plate I’ve added some silver tone scrapes. These would be from rocks or from running the corner short. These were done with a tiny blob of almost dry silver. Then I used a sharpened tooth pick to pull the paint. Then mixed a bit of soot into it. By the way I use Titanium silver for my exhaust base color. It’s a little softer looking than a bright aluminum. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I really appreciate you sharing that. I think it's the weathering powders and transparents that I need to get more comfortable using, because from what I see in your work there....that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a Ferrari Enzo build I'm getting underway and if ya happen to stumble onto it in the WIP I would very much appreciate your input! Now, time to get practicin'!!!

Thanks again for sharing

35 minutes ago, carmad1957 said:

I really appreciate you sharing that. I think it's the weathering powders and transparents that I need to get more comfortable using, because from what I see in your work there....that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a Ferrari Enzo build I'm getting underway and if ya happen to stumble onto it in the WIP I would very much appreciate your input! Now, time to get practicin'!!!

Thanks again for sharing

Get the Tamiya sets and try it out. You can always wipe the stuff off. I’ll look at your Enzo. Love that car. I built one I’ll see if I can find the pictures. 

Well, well- looks like I'd better get busy. Guess I could have mentioned that I haven't begun the WIP thread yet, probably today. Those pics are quite an inspiration! What did you use on the exhaust there to replicate a heat wrap or whatever? I was considering tin foil dull side out.

Edited by carmad1957
forgot to mention the WIP thread- thanks

48 minutes ago, carmad1957 said:

Well, well- looks like I'd better get busy. Guess I could have mentioned that I haven't begun the WIP thread yet, probably today. Those pics are quite an inspiration! What did you use on the exhaust there to replicate a heat wrap or whatever? I was considering tin foil dull side out.

I used the MFH heat shielding. I have used tin foil. If you look in this WIp. Someone said Micheals Has a product that wil work as well. Then I stained it with the Tamiya weathering kit.

screens have been added . The screens on the real car are white. Started the mock up and build of the interior. I’m thinking about adding some drives to the car. The foot plate has had the holes opened to show the floor color though. I added a shot of this new super glue I started using. This stuff is the best I’ve ever used. It sets fast and rock hard. Test twice and glue once. Found it on Amazon. It  is industrial strength. Was recommended by another builder I know. $8.00 for the bottle three different flavors 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fantastic so far! Who makes the Audi kit? I remember these when I was a rally marshall. I would see these and the other group 5 cars ( 037 Lancia's, Ford RS 200 etc) on our World Rally GB (RAC Rally) on the stages. Super quick and loud!

On 26/11/2018 at 10:38 PM, 89AKurt said:

I don't like how all rally car models come with slicks.  So the aftermarket has stepped in.  I got these from Spot Model.

I use foil from cardboard style cigarette packs, when I see someone using up their smokes at the bar, I ask for the pack and they look at me kinda weird.  :P

IMG_7469_Fotor.jpg

Yes the slicks are used on the tarmac stages for extra grip.

7 hours ago, PatW said:

Fantastic so far! Who makes the Audi kit? I remember these when I was a rally marshall. I would see these and the other group 5 cars ( 037 Lancia's, Ford RS 200 etc) on our World Rally GB (RAC Rally) on the stages. Super quick and loud!

Pat your lucky.. I would of loved to see the group 5 cars. The kit is by Beemax. A decent kit. Builds like a Tamiya rally car. Curbside kit. I’m building the car as a snow night stage version, it’s worth getting if your into rally cars. Beemax has a few other kits on the way that look good. A full detail Delta s4. 

8 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Great build here, glad someone's started it!

Question - did you have to ask in the weathering with a flat clear?

The weathering kits are like a make-up base. Kinda like a pastel. Tamiya doesn’t use. A clear or flat over them like the AK stuff. It will rub off if rubbed hard. 

16 hours ago, Gt fan said:

Pat your lucky.. I would of loved to see the group 5 cars. The kit is by Beemax. A decent kit. Builds like a Tamiya rally car. Curbside kit. I’m building the car as a snow night stage version, it’s worth getting if your into rally cars. Beemax has a few other kits on the way that look good. A full detail Delta s4. 

Thanks Gt fan. I've found a few here on the web, so put it on the wanted list!  Yes a neighbour was working in the press department of Audi UK, when the first Quattro's of the long wheel base ones came into the UK. A few minutes after he bought the car home I drove it on one of our motorways at about 120mph, and being 4X4 Quattro it stuck to the roads! On the twisty lanes back from the motorway, about 15 miles it was even better to drive at speed, where the roads are just wide enough for two cars and plenty of tight, and some hairpin bends! 

2 minutes ago, PatW said:

Thanks Gt fan. I've found a few here on the web, so put it on the wanted list!  Yes a neighbour was working in the press department of Audi UK, when the first Quattro's of the long wheel base ones came into the UK. A few minutes after he bought the car home I drove it on one of our motorways at about 120mph, and being 4X4 Quattro it stuck to the road! On the twisty lanes back from the motorway, about 15 miles it was even better to drive at speed, where the roads are just wide enough for two cars and plenty of tight, and some hairpin bends!