Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Galaxie XL, 1/30.

StevenGuthmiller

On 3/5/2019 at 11:15 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

The dome light was just an after thought that popped up when I decided to remove the runner between the front and back glass.

It took about five minutes to make by cutting a thin ring of plastic tubing for the bezel and a piece of plastic rod for the lens and just painting them. :)

Steve

The dome light is a very nice touch.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but there's another approach for dome/courtesy lights...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101871-dome-and-courtesy-lights/?tab=comments#comment-1423349

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

The dome light is a very nice touch.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but there's another approach for dome/courtesy lights...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101871-dome-and-courtesy-lights/?tab=comments#comment-1423349

I almost never add a dome light unless it's included in the kit.

This was just sort of an after thought, and I thought it turned out nicely for just cutting 2 pieces of plastic.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This was just sort of an after thought, and I thought it turned out nicely for just cutting 2 pieces of plastic.

Steve

What technique did you use when you were "just cutting 2 pieces of plastic" to get the nice round shapes? You make it sound so easy.

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

What technique did you use when you were "just cutting 2 pieces of plastic" to get the nice round shapes? You make it sound so easy.

The  base is just a thin slice of .5 mm plastic tubing that was then hit with the Molotow pen.

The lens was then cut from a slightly longer piece of .4mm plastic rod, the edges were lightly sanded to create a softer edge, it was painted a flat light tan color and then glued into the center of the bezel.

Easy peasy! ;)

Steve

Well, this project is finished!

While I try to somehow overcome my feeble photography skills and produce some presentable photos, I will post this one.

While doing a little experimenting with different backgrounds I took this shot on a red background that reminded me of a brochure add, so I added a little text and came up with this. :P

Stay tuned.

I will eventually crank out a few pictures that will hopefully not embarrass me!

Steve

2v2EAPy7rxwUbWP.jpg