Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Galaxie XL, 1/30.

StevenGuthmiller

Still chuggin' along.

Got all of the engine parts and a few chassis parts painted.

Testors "Ford Engine Blue", flat and gloss black, and several different shades of Alclad.

Still have some "refining" to do with some of the chassis parts before painting, but I'm really very happy with how quickly this project is moving along.

It's surprising how much bench time a guy can get when he gets a break from home remodeling! ;)

I'm sure that won't last, so I need to keep the pedal to the metal! :)

I have a pretty good mix of parts that I've assembled for this engine.

The majority of the engine comes from the AMT 1967 Cyclone kit.

The Intake manifold is from the '67 Galaxie kit, valve covers from a '68 Mustang, and air cleaner from a '63 Galaxie.

I scratch built a few parts including a fuel filter and radiator brace.

I also added a "fuel bar" for the dual quads to the intake, and removed the ugly oil filler caps from the valve covers to be replaced.

Steve

2v2EKLfgrxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EKL6mNxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EKL6TrxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EKL6SjxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EKL6LdxwUbWP.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple more photos of where I'm at.

All of the chassis and engine parts are painted and in the process of being detailed before assembly.

I thought that some of you might like to see the firewall now that it is, for all intensive purposes, finished.

I still might add a couple of decals, but other than that, it's ready to install.

The engine is nearly ready for assembly in lieu of a little more detailing.

Steve

2v2EpypHGxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EpypdqxwUbWP.jpg

I have to admit, lack of firewall and fender well detail aside, AMT did a fair job of chassis detail for a 50+ year old kit!

There are separate front and rear springs, shocks and even a control rod for the suspension parts.

The front wheel backs include separate disc brake detail, and the exhaust includes separate mufflers.

Something even most modern kits don't have!

The kit even includes glass pack mufflers as an option!

I scratch built my own front spindles.

Not necessarily aesthetically pleasing, but neither were the original kit pieces.

While they will not be tied together with a functioning tie rod, they will allow the front wheels to be poseable.

Steve

2v2EpyCAMxwUbWP.jpg 

2v2EpyCBFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EpyC6dxwUbWP.jpg

19 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Looking good.

And if I may, with the amount of detail you've put in so far. Maybe look at some Holleys from Fireball ?

Unless you plan to permanently glue the air cleaner in place then the carbs would be redundant

I've thought about buying some of these great Fireball carbs, but then I always come back down to earth and realize that I'm not going to leave the air cleaner loose once the model is finished.

I don't need any extra loose parts flopping around once the model is finished.

I suppose that if I were building the model purely to compete or show, I would do this, but I like to try to keep my models fully self contained if possible.

Besides, the carbs from the AMT '67 Cyclone are not bad compared to the carbs that I usually use! :P

Steve

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've thought about buying some of these great Fireball carbs, but then I always come back down to earth and realize that I'm not going to leave the air cleaner loose once the model is finished.

I don't need any extra loose parts flopping around once the model is finished.

I suppose that if I were building the model purely to compete or show, I would do this, but I like to try to keep my models fully self contained if possible.

Besides, the carbs from the AMT '67 Cyclone are not bad compared to the carbs that I usually use! :P

Steve

Everything is coming along nicely. If I remember correctly those carbs are the same in the 66 Fairlane 427 kit. They are the nicest kit supplied carbs IMO. Also the distributor has a nice vacuum advance that other kits lack. Can’t wait to see it completed. 

31 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Everything is coming along nicely. If I remember correctly those carbs are the same in the 66 Fairlane 427 kit. They are the nicest kit supplied carbs IMO. Also the distributor has a nice vacuum advance that other kits lack. Can’t wait to see it completed. 

This was another obvious harbinger of things to come with the AMT Cyclone kit.

The kit contained 2 carbs, even though it only included a single 4bbl intake.

Must have been looking ahead to the 427 Fairlane already when the Cyclone kit came out.

Steve 

28 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This was another obvious harbinger of things to come with the AMT Cyclone kit.

The kit contained 2 carbs, even though it only included a single 4bbl intake.

Must have been looking ahead to the 427 Fairlane already when the Cyclone kit came out.

Steve 

I especially like the distributors. I have a few that I carefully cut the caps off, and add a MAD wired cap, then drill the advance for the vacuum hose. I have a few of those carbs in my bins. It doesn’t take much to make them look realistic. 

What did you use for that gold fuel rail? Is that brass/ aluminum tubing?

I would use the Glass Pack Mufflers. This was often the first addition a new owner would have done back when. Your detail painting on the firewall looks great. you must have a steady hand. I also like how you used a light wash on the engine giving it much more depth and realism.     

Things have slowed down a little due to a couple of issues that have arisen.

First, the oil pan is shaped a little differently on this engine versus the original kit piece, so some trimming was required on the frame cross member to get the engine to sit in the position where it needed to be.

Likewise, the air cleaner sat too low to allow room for the distributor and plug wires, so I needed to fashion some spacers to raise it up a bit.

The combination of lowering the engine slightly and raising the air cleaner a touch has left me with very little hood clearance, but it appears at this point that it will be just enough. :rolleyes:

I knew that there would likely be some exhaust issues, and I was correct.

The exhaust manifolds came nowhere near to meeting up with the pipes, So I removed the forward section of the original exhaust and fashioned new header pipes.

Otherwise, most of the engine is assembled and looking pretty good.

Still need to add the pulleys, alternator and fan, as well as a few other parts such as the starter, oil filter and a few odds and ends on the top of the engine.

Next problem could possibly be the length of the drive shaft due to the fact that the original kit tranny is a little longer.

But that will be a relatively easy fix when I get to that point.

Steve

2v2EckSM8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EckVALxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EckVCLxwUbWP.jpg

2v2Eckh2LxwUbWP.jpg

Very nice work, Steve.  The engine looks fantastic. That solenoid looks really good too. Nice job on all the details you added to this kit. 

Pretty cool idea with the glass packs. Some guy wanted a throaty sound from his Galaxie, so he threw them on. 

Exhaust systems, especially the headers, and manifolds can be a pain. I keep black coffee stirrers on hand in case I need to make a quick driveshaft, or change the length. Looks like it’s all figured out.