Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Camaro SS 396

Bought this one as a built up on Ebay. It was a frankenstein kit as it had a 1973 front bumper, the vinyl top body from the 1970 annual combined with the guts of the 1990 AMT 1970 Z28 kit with the bad nose. Here's what it looked like when I received it.

70CamaroEbay1-vi.jpg

I dismantled it and put it in the purple pond for a swin. 48 hours later the paint did not budge. So, I applied Easy Lift Off and was able to remove the paint. The clear must have been urethane as the ELO just made it loose and sticky. After I stripped the paint, I found a badly crazed body.

100_1784-vi.jpg

After lots of careful sanding and priming, I now have a presentable body.

100_1821-vi.jpg

100_1822-vi.jpg

Underneath the Bandit Resins cowl hood will be an EFI motivated 396, built using the kit motor and the EFI from the AMT '70 Chevelle SS kit.

100_1823-vi.jpg

100_1824-vi.jpg

Paint will be Tamiya TS-54 Light Metallic Blue with a white vinyl top. Hopefully, this will be a fun, fast build because I plan to keep things simple. Enjoy!!!

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Got her up on all fours tonight...

100_1826-vi.jpg

Rolling stock consists of the ubiquitous "big n little" Pegasus T's. Also used a new tool for the first time. I added a .010" x .020" strip of Evergreen around the vinyl top to enhance the weak AMT engraving. Used a Touch Flow liquid cement applicator and man is that a neat tool.

100_1828-vi.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Wow, nice start! Too bad about the body. Looks like you smoothed it out really good. Do you think you could help me with an original 70 Charger I put auto motive paint on? :lol: Was this one you got while working on your other Camaro? Don't forget to finish that one too!

Mike

Edited by mikelo

Wow, nice start! Do you think you could help me with an original 70 Charger I put auto motive paint on? :lol:

Thanks. You can send that Charger to me if you like. ;)

Was this one you got while working on your other Camaro? Don't forget to finish that one too!

No, I just got it about two weeks ago. As for the other one, I'll probably get back to it as soon as I finish this one.

• 2 weeks later...

The paint gods told me that this was a good day to try out the new Testors One Coat lacquers, in particular, Icy Blue.

100_1831-vi.jpg

100_1830-vi.jpg

This is the first model I've used this paint on and I really like the stuff. It goes on heavier than Tamiya and really levels out nicely. I did 3 color coats and 3 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear on the Camaro. At this early stage I might not even polish it as it looks that good. I masked the top off before I painted it since it will be white.

It will spend the night in the dehydrator. Tomorrow, I hope to mask the body and paint the taillight panel with matt black, then, after another stint in the dehydrator, mask and paint the vinyl top with Tamiya Matt White.

The paint has a lot of "sparkle" to it, so it will not be well suited to replica stock builders. But, for race cars, street machines, rods and customs, this paint is for you. I also bought a can of Mystic Emerald Green. I'll try to do a spoon test on this one while I'm in the painting mood.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

The guys in the shop are working overtime this weekend. It's starting to feel like an episode of "Overhaulin".

100_1833-vi.jpg

I masked off the body with Tamiya masking tape and 3M Blue Painters Tape for Delicate Surfaces, then applied two coats of Tamiya white primer and two coats of Tamiya TS-27 Matt White.

100_1834-vi.jpg

Before the top was applied, I masked the body off and painted the rear taillight panel with Testors Flat Black Lacquer. It a big block car and Chevrolet applied this treatment to all big block Gen 2 Camaros.

100_1835-vi.jpg

Here is a close up of the top, which shows the molded in texture.

Enjoy!!!

Marc, I saw this on the other board and posted.

Anyway, the color combo really looks great. I asked about the rolling stock at the other board but now see you are using the T's. Will they stay chrome or will you be doing something different with them?

Just really sweet!

Chris

The white top and the blue color really looks neat, blends together well. I like the way the paints lay out also, personally I think that the sparkles are a bit out of scale but it came out nice. I used the Evening Orchid Metallic on a '57 Chevy I did and that was my only gripe about these paints. I think they would go perfect with the lowrider guys though!!! Very cool job on this my friend!!! :lol:;)

Wow, thats a bright blue. Looks great with the white top. I have some of that paint, but have not used it yet. Looks like I need to get some of that clear! Great finish on that. Reminds me of the clear I used to use from the silk flower section of craft stores. Keep us posted. Can't wait to see the green.

Mike

Someone asked me this weekend if I was really planning to use the Pegasus T's on this build. Well, that got me to thinking. I have all these cool wheels in my vault and I've already built a Camaro with Peggies. So....

100_1836-vi.jpg

Aoshima Cerberus wheels with the rears inserted into Pegasus 23" sleeves. Fronts are mocked up with XS Tuning tires for now.

100_1837-vi.jpg

Don't know about you, but I'm liking these much better!!!