Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram's 69 Camaro Series

disconovaman

19 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

10365C61-AD3A-46F5-8886-5703BFEF03AD.thumb.jpeg.595e4ae2c816f0414190d729a4528e54.jpeg

I sanded down the back of my RS grill because I wanted to position the headlight doors open. This is going to be a model of my mom’s car she had in the 70’s. The doors were stuck open.

Kewl! Were they really stuck, or did she just not know where the vacuum switch was? B)

BTW, on the real '69 RS grille, the two most outboard rows in the grille aren't open, they're blanked off and black. 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Kewl! Were they really stuck, or did she just not know where the vacuum switch was? B)

BTW, on the real '69 RS grille, the two most outboard rows in the grille aren't open, they're blanked off and black. 

I’ll ask dad what he meant by “stuck”. 

I didn’t know about the blanked sections. I’ll have to search that.

11 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

sanded down the back of my RS grill because I wanted to position the headlight doors open

Great Work goin on! Yes, Snake is right... but on the model I just sand it completely out because otherwise it looks unfinished to me. 

I love old photos of cars from the 50's 60's and 70's. This photo is so cool and I believe there used to be a 69 in my area that looked alot like your mom's.

I read an article a few years ago about a senior in Highschool who bought a 69 new, Him and his car disappeared a week later... olny to be found at the bottom of the lake 40 years later... Sad story but the article had photos of him and the car the same day he went missing. I want to build a kit in honor of his dream. He was a grocery store clerk only 16 that saved every penny to afford the car but never got to enjoy it.Here is the article...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425971/amp/Remains-rusting-car-pulled-Oklahoma-lake-belong-teenagers-went-missing-40-years-ago.html

article-2424175-1BE3F0A8000005DC-160_634x354.jpg

PRY3DA6QWG2ODGIVGA6YZQ75ZI.jpg

55 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Great Work goin on! Yes, Snake is right... but on the model I just sand it completely out because otherwise it looks unfinished to me. 

I love old photos of cars from the 50's 60's and 70's. This photo is so cool and I believe there used to be a 69 in my area that looked alot like your mom's.

I read an article a few years ago about a senior in Highschool who bought a 69 new, Him and his car disappeared a week later... olny to be found at the bottom of the lake 40 years later... Sad story but the article had photos of him and the car the same day he went missing. I want to build a kit in honor of his dream. He was a grocery store clerk only 16 that saved every penny to afford the car but never got to enjoy it.Here is the article...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425971/amp/Remains-rusting-car-pulled-Oklahoma-lake-belong-teenagers-went-missing-40-years-ago.html

WOW!

The Camaro almost looks better than the Tulsa Plymouth!?

I had some distractions that led to me not finishing the Cream Camaro over the weekend as planned but I'm just about to touch down with it here soon. and I'll be firing up the Orange Box art next.

I'm still working on gettin the twin turbo set up figured out. but this is how she's gonna look when done.

I was tempted to put that CB radio on the dash but I just haven't desided yet.

Thanks for everyone's support and more to come.

Screenshot_20190121-155934.jpg

Screenshot_20190117-091524.jpg

Screenshot_20190117-091721.jpg

Screenshot_20190117-091604.jpg

A wise old school modeler once told me that each model part is a model within a model. I totally understand what that means because every part can be detailed therefore becoming it's own model.

I've applyed that wisdom to my building over the years. I've had build-ups of these camaros and it seems everyone has everything in the engine bay glued and painted black. I know the reason probably is because #1 the directions say everything is black and #2 Realistically this is how it looks on a real factory stock Camaro. 

I just think a little contrast on the Model is a better detail. Just shows better IMO, I think if you pick 3 Black finishes (flat, gloss, and statin) with everything painted separately in the engine bay, it would look better for a stock look. Since this is a Customised street machine, I went with as much contrast as I could. This allows you to see the details.  

Quick tip: During final assembly do not glue the Raditor support to the chassis assemble the body and chassis then add the Radiator support from the left side... Interference fit will hold it in place No glue required.

Screenshot_20190122-114549.jpg

Screenshot_20190122-121803.jpg

Screenshot_20190122-125157.jpg

I must own well over a dozen copies of the Revell '69 Camaros, but have only ever actually built/finished two. I found final assembly--getting the chassis into the body--to be the worst part. But I discovered something interesting/useful: DON'T glue the firewall to anything. Just stick it in place and then wrestle the chassis into the body. When you have it in place, the firewall will just sort of pop into the perfect position all by itself, and stay there, just like magic! :blink: I don't think I've ever  seen anything like it in 50+ years of car modeling. 

Switching gears, this might be a good place to ask this question: When Model Car World paints first came out in the early '90s, I painted a Revell '69 Camaro in Hugger Orange, intending to build it as one of the first ZL-1s. Apparently I wasn't the only one with this idea, as over the years I've seen many, many renditions of this same car to that point that it's almost become a modeling cliche. So what else could I do with this nicely painted, polished-out body? I don't want to do it as a Z/28 with black stripes because I already have an M2 diecast in that exact color combo. Any other ideas for it, especially interesting ones? :wacko:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

So what else could I do with this nicely painted, polished-out body?

I'd say as a standard Camaro with Hugger Orange would be unique... those resin wheel covers would be cool with some white walls and go complete opposite of the Z-L1 and go with the 6cyl ?!

Also You have learned the most important part of building this kit! Not only do you not have to glue the firewall, Rad support, or the interior to the chassis... the rear lower valance is an interference fit as well!... goes in after the chassis... 

I hope everyone is taking the information in... I can be long winded sometimes (sorry) but this will pay off when you go to build the kit yourself...

34 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I'd say as a standard Camaro with Hugger Orange would be unique... those resin wheel covers would be cool with some white walls and go complete opposite of the Z-L1 and go with the 6cyl ?!

Well, it's got the rear spoiler, and the cowl induction hood, which was only available on COPO, SS, and Z/28, so a stock "low line" is out. :wacko:

17 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Can't wait to get started on the Orange car with the Z28 CAMARO graphic on the sides next...

Maybe I should do that with the one I have painted orange. :huh:

Actually, at the moment, I'm leaning toward white Yenko stripes. You usually see orange Yenkos with black stripes; the white ones seem to be much rarer. 

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Maybe I should do that with the one I have painted orange. :huh:

Yeah? I like that idea... I just imagined that body already painted and polished and ready for the details. That's why I kinda suggested the 6cyl standard option. Never was a fan of the black Yenko stripes anyway, white seems like the better option. 

19 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Yeah? I like that idea... I just imagined that body already painted and polished and ready for the details. That's why I kinda suggested the 6cyl standard option. Never was a fan of the black Yenko stripes anyway, white seems like the better option. 

Y'know, I built that orange Monogram kit. I still have the box, too, which I've been using to store an original MPC '68 I need to rebuild. I'm pretty sure I even know where it is!  I wonder if that box still has the original decals and those side exhausts in it? Hmmmmm....

12 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I don't actually have those decals. I'm gonna have to search images and find something close and print them myself.

If I have/can find them, and can scan them (my scanner was DOA last time I tried to use it), I'll scan and send them to you. Or maybe I can shoot a pic of them. IF I can find them. B)

Checked that box last night, there's nothing from that kit left in it. I MIGHT still have that decal--probably do, in fact--but now finding it will be a problem, and I can't paint an optimistic picture for you, sorry. :(

OTOH, I did find a decal sheet for the original issue--the one you already did. 

You might consider posting a WANTED here for this decal sheet. I think odds are good that somebody here would have one unused. B)

Edited by Snake45

DNMan, this is your lucky day!

I checked in an old file folder in which I had a bunch of old kit instructions. The instructions were in there! And the decals were in the instructions! :D

So I tried to scan them. My scanner made ONE scan and then died, same thing it did last time. :angry: The bad news is that I have the decals kinda not-straight-across on the scan, and I can't do another one. :( The good news is that I had the foresight to also include the kit instruction sheet (which has the same graphic/logo across the top) AND a ruler in the scan, for sizing/scale. B) If you can get it all lined up and straight, it even has the original license plates on there. 

Shoot me an email and I'll email you the scan back. WARNING: It's enormous--almost 2400 kb. Hope that's not a problem. Snakeacp45 at aol dot com. 

All this scanning talk got me thinking so I looked on my desktop and I had scanned the High Roller decals back in 2014 still had them saved...  Also I found an image of the Cream Z28 decals but instead of them being Pink, Orange, and Black they are Red, Maroon, and Black... Can anyone confirm that some (Newer Maybe?) issues had a different option?

Screenshot_20190124-211342.png