Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram's 69 Camaro Series

disconovaman

14 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Hey buddy? Could you do me a favor and look on the instructions for the Z Steet Camaro and tell me what color they have listed for the interior? It looks brown/dark tan? on the box... Thanks.

Lucky you, I still have 'em right here. 

They don't specify an interior color, just a few black and silver details called out. So it's up to you. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, disconovaman said:

Vintage Cover Artwork ?

Screenshot_20190125-072158.png

That is FANTASTIC !  Reminds me of 1979 , 1980 ( when I was 10 years old ) --- sitting on my bed , listening to The Mighty 690 , KMET , and KLOS , recording songs onto cassette , and building that Monogram 1969 Z-28 . I was positively fascinated with its Spyder and Fly wheels , and those graphics .

Excellent work !

Thanks, I'm glad it brings back memories. I wanted to do these to remind myself of how it felt to be standing in the model car section at Kmart when I was 10.. I built it a few times myself but never as the box and I never used the decals. One was Sapphire blue I know... and I painted one Compitetion Orange with Black Monogram 70 Chevelle SS stripes from the red issue. I remember brush painting that one gloss black later on though... Good times! lol!

and I recorded many songs onto Memorex tapes from my boom box and the Casey Kasem Countdown as a kid...

I got shot when I was 7 with a 38 caliber pistol in the chest out in my front yard in my neighborhood... and I survived. So afterwards I was kind of a shut in (who could blame me?) Modeling was a good outlet for me to pass time. I know I would've found modeling eventually but that event definitely sped up the prosess for me. 

Edited by disconovaman

• 6 months later...

Good day for painting and getting this thread goin agian!? I'm working on the Street Camaro...(orange one) and looking at the box the car looks darker orange so I chose to go with Hemi Orange and to my wondering eye, does this color have blue and silver metallic in it? Never knew that, always thought it was a solid color. or maybe they got it wrong at modelmasters? Anyways, I'm goin with it! 

Screenshot_20190802-153433.jpg

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, Hemi Orange is a "poly" which means metallic although in this case it is VERY subtle. 

Added decals... These are the decals that you emailed me Snake.  I slightly resized and printed them. They turned out nice. Thanks, and I've been working on another Glue bomb Revell Camaro that I shouldn't even care about... but it's my addiction. The wheelwells were "Hogged" out to appear "Stretched" but it wasn't gonna fly with me so I borrowed some from a monogram 24th Camaro to correct it, well... tried to... I've been working on sorting out the bodywork on that car... It's a total mess... Some builds leave you with so many questions in a bad way... this build is the craziest.

Screenshot_20190802-202909.jpg

I built another Camaro resently but it didn't look quite like I wanted it to, so I plan on kinda redoing it with different wheels and interior. I want it to look like the one you had built back in the day. (blue interior and torque thrust wheels.) we'll see if I can capture the look... I assume that was the gray one that looks goldish brown now lol...

Screenshot_20190811-174224.jpg

I thought I'd give a quick tip while I'm thinking about it. Tired of the boring white or black stripes that come with the kit? Well have I got a good tip for you... Tamyia Clear red or yellow... over White stripe decals... (yellow will make the stripes appear gold) Make sure you go kinda light until you get the desired color and when applying the Decal you may have to 'flake" the excess off...

#1 cut the decal sheet close to the decal.

#2 allow the decals to loosen up completely in hot water perhaps to almost become floaters...

#3 They will be stiffer than normal, so use the decal paper to remove from water.

#4  Next, dry the decal off, this is so you can flake any of the paint left behind on the edges. 

#5 add water and apply to the car using a damp papertowel.

It's not to difficult to do, try it out on a test subject first if you're nervous about the result. Thanks, feel free to post pics here of your finished painted decals...

Screenshot_20190811-180556.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-180806.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

This one is the car I'm talking about...I guess you painted it silver and now it looks like antique bronze...

I built that model and took it to the body shop with my real one and said "Make THAT look like THIS!" My car had a blue interior so so does the model. I painted it with airbrushed Pactra Steel back in the day, I don't remember what the clearcoat is but it doesn't look "bronze" in real life, just metallic/steel gray. I think the gold tone is just dirt/dust on the ancient model. My real one didn't have mags, just naked Chevy Rally Wheels. 

I really like the tourqe thrusts... but now I'm thinking the bare steel rallys would look cool too.maybe with some white letter tires. 

Working on the interior and polishing the body on my own box art car. I plan on making the cover and printing the artwork when I get the car built... 

Screenshot_20190813-202651.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-091128.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, Snake45 said:

I built that model and took it to the body shop with my real one and said "Make THAT look like THIS!" My car had a blue interior so so does the model. I painted it with airbrushed Pactra Steel back in the day, I don't remember what the clearcoat is but it doesn't look "bronze" in real life, just metallic/steel gray. I think the gold tone is just dirt/dust on the ancient model. My real one didn't have mags, just naked Chevy Rally Wheels. 

I remember pactra steel.... those were the days, and I KNEW it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...