Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pennsylvanian Rediscovering the Hobby

greg133

Hey all,

I'm a lapsed modeler getting back into the hobby since giving it up in my teens (I'm 43). My dad built mostly plastic car models when he was way younger than me and got me into it when I was probably 8 or 9. He used to have a bunch of cool kits from the '70's. He also helped me build two Hubley metal kits as a boy (we lived in Lancaster, PA for a long time)---which I still have! They are pretty busted up though. Anyway, I got kind of back into the fun about 15 years ago but never finished anything. Recently, the bug bit me again. I bought a AMT ProShop 1958 Plymouth Belvedere (Stephen King fan) at an estate sale and actually managed to finish it! Turned out pretty good.

I'd like to start again, but I'm hoping to maybe start body painting again ( I gotta admit; pre-painted bodies are conducive to my schedule). I'd really like to get my hands on some of those kind of kits my dad had (he has passed) because I thought they were awesome. But man, they're pricey. I'm going to post after this in the appropriate part of the forum to see if I can find some inexpensive kits to find. I do 1:24/1:25 plastic. Thanks for letting me in!

Greg

Edited by greg133
typo

Greg, welcome aboard! Another one from PA here in the Highspire/Middletown area. I'm not sure where you are, but we'd love to have you stop at the CPMCC club meeting where we meet in Mt. Wolf (York County). We meet the first Saturday of each month.

There's also the HAMS club in Mechanicsburg which has meetings on the third Saturday of the month. That one I may not get to as often as it's usually a weekend I'm working early that morning and I simply want to get home and go back to bed then! :P

Welcome, Greg. I'm in PA, up in Centre County, near Penn State. I built model cars in my teens in the 1960's, then gave most of them away when I got into RC planes in 1972. I got back into model cars about 10 years ago. I still fly the planes too. You'll find lots of friendly and helpful folks here! Good luck on your future builds!

Sam

Thanks to all of you; Burghers and Staters and everything in between.!  Bill, I live in E-town, we're practically neighbors. I lived in York for a few years as well. Do you have a site of FB page? If not, let me know and I'll see if I can make a meeting.