Model Cars Magazine Forum

Estate Planning - all those models in the basement

My main concern is not the kits as I am in the process of selling most of them. I am wondering about the future of the built models I have spent thousands of hours crafting over the last 60 years. Our son wants a couple that he remembers watching me creating and my largest diorama is of a local landmark which I want to go to our local historical museum. The rest,who knows their fate.

Been thinking about this very subject a lot lately.

I had asked the wife and 2 daughters a few years back what they would do with all my junk. in the event some major happened to me. All 3 quickly replied keep any/all builts. The remains would go away....just exactly how to do that they were unsure . So I need to really think about this. As I REALLY don't want this burden on my family when the time comes

So I am giving some very serious thoughts to sell out any and all of what I call modern kits ( produced in the past 25-30 years )

Even it that means  fire sale prices and then concentrate on my old annuals and drag car builds. Even if I did maybe 2 or 3 a year I figure Ive got enough to last me maybe 20 years ,,,maybe more.

I'm staring right down the barrel of retirement in about 4 years  . PLUS  we are planning too buy a 1/1 car this fall so model bench time will become limited more and more time goes forward. And the older I get I honestly think I'll become less and less interested in building. In all honesty I already look for clean builds now of something I don't have completed. With thoughts to then  sell the builders / unbuilts I have here

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Been thinking about this very subject a lot lately.

I had asked the wife and 2 daughters a few years back what they would do with all my junk. in the event some major happened to me. All 3 quickly replied keep any/all builts. The remains would go away....just exactly how to do that they were unsure . So I need to really think about this. As I REALLY don't want this burden on my family when the time comes

So I am giving some very serious thoughts to sell out any and all of what I call modern kits ( produced in the past 25-30 years )

Even it that means  fire sale prices and then concentrate on my old annuals and drag car builds. Even if I did maybe 2 or 3 a year I figure Ive got enough to last me maybe 20 years ,,,maybe more.

I'm staring right down the barrel of retirement in about 4 years  . PLUS  we are planning too buy a 1/1 car this fall so model bench time will become limited more and more time goes forward. And the older I get I honestly think I'll become less and less interested in building. In all honesty I already look for clean builds now of something I don't have completed. With thoughts to then  sell the builders / unbuilts I have here

I remember you posting all those great builders and annuals you found and bought. I understand getting rid of the modern kits but so many times we sell or part with our stuff and end up buying it back. I can'tpart with most of what I have unbuilt if I have plans for it. Things I know that I will never build is going. 

The last of my unbuilts to go will probably be my '58-'62 annuals. If i look at what I have actually built in the last five years exactly none of them were kit based. Everything was either scratchbuilt or resin cast. That tells me how many kits I really need to hang on to. Finishing my early built-up annuals that need refreshing and a few parts will take more years than I have left to build. Add to that my unfinished projects and I am well set for stuff to do. 

18 hours ago, misterNNL said:

If i look at what I have actually built in the last five years exactly none of them were kit based. Everything was either scratchbuilt or resin cast. That tells me how many kits I really need to hang on to. 

Ha!  I've been building stuff out of scrap and finishing ancient builds I had started in the last century lately!     Still, I am scrounging through kits for parts and such.  And with cheap kits, I have no issue pulling one out for parts.  I actually dumped another '55 Chevy Cameo kit into the corresponding parts box this past week, and sent another copy to a board member who needed it.   

And all those parts and aftermarket bits I had been saving for "someday"?   Well someday is now.  I'm using the stuff.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ha!  I've been building stuff out of scrap and finishing ancient builds I had started in the last century lately!     Still, I am scrounging through kits for parts and such.  And with cheap kits, I have no issue pulling one out for parts.  I actually dumped another '55 Chevy Cameo kit into the corresponding parts box this past week, and sent another copy to a board member who needed it.   

And all those parts and aftermarket bits I had been saving for "someday"?   Well someday is now.  I'm using the stuff.

Me also,that's all it's good for. Build 'em!

I think I have about 100 - 120 un - built kits and about that many built kits.  When I get to the point I cannot build them anymore or lose interest in the hobby, I will start selling the kits, tools and supplies.  The kits that are built, I imagine the kids may take a few that mean something to them or to have a memory.  The rest of the built kits, tools and supplies will likely go in the estate sale.  If anything is left over after the sale, I imagine it will be thrown away.  The thought of a lot of that stuff being thrown away makes me a bit sad, but I will not be around, so however my wife or the kids want to take care of this stuff is up to them.

I know of a person who put in his will almost all of his possessions and he expected his heirs to keep this stuff.  As I state above, it is sad to think about some of this stuff being thrown away, but I cannot do to my family what the person I knew did to his.