Model Cars Magazine Forum

? about Moebius '65 Plymouth

Snake45

I'm getting interested in doing a model of Bill Jenkins' '65 Belvedere Black Arrow. Shopping for the kit. Does the California Flash kit have anything special in it I need, or can I start with the stock Belvedere sedan kit if I find that cheaper? :wacko:

Jenkins' car had a Hemi, Torqueflite, and open wheels, if any of that makes any difference. 

Just what I need to know! Thanks, Bill! B)

BTW, did you ever get around to looking at that '68 El Camino glue bomb I got from you a while back? I posted it Under Glass a week or so ago. It came out pretty good IMHO, considering what I started with. B)

8 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Hey Snake... there was a pretty recent article Tim Boyd did on a build up of these Moebius 65 kits in Scale Auto Mag. He used the A990 California Flash. Very nice project you have planned. 

Yeah, I know--just dug that out and re-read it. That and rereading the Grumpy's Toys books is what gave me the idea. 

Also thinking about maybe doing his Monster Mash '55 Chevy. 

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm getting interested in doing a model of Bill Jenkins' '65 Belvedere Black Arrow. Shopping for the kit. Does the California Flash kit have anything special in it I need, or can I start with the stock Belvedere sedan kit if I find that cheaper? :wacko:

Jenkins' car had a Hemi, Torqueflite, and open wheels, if any of that makes any difference. 

I did the Bobuis Melrose Missle kit. Body had a warp in it which I had to take out with heat.  Good front suspension detail. Should have painted only the K frame black, not the front frame rails.:huh:  Should work fine with Jenkins decals. This kit could have been built as a stock Belvedere also - with a wedge motor, steel wheels and poverty caps. 

Melrose Missile 1.jpg

Melrose Missile2.jpg

Melrose Missile3.jpg

Melrose Missile11.jpg

melrose missile12.jpg

melrose missle 7.jpg

Melrose missle 13.jpg

Melrose Missle 15.jpg

Melrose Missle 16.jpg

The car snake is inquiring about  to build.

65 Plymouth sedan 426 hemi and auto

The Flash kit is a 4 speed but has  everything else to build this car

Slixx makes ( or at least made the decals for this one )

jenkins65Plymouth.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I'm kinda thinking of doing a series of models showing the progression from FX to Pro Stock, told through four racers--one Chevy, one Plymouth, one Dodge, one Ford. 

Jenkins, S&M and Landy are naturals for the first three. Having trouble coming up with a good candidate for the Ford.  Closest I can come up with is Nicholson, who of course is mostly associated with Mercury. But didn't he run a '68 CJ Mustang in SS, and then a Maverick in Pro Stock? I see there's a new book out on his cars. I'll have to get it. (I have the books on the other three.)

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, alexis said:

Did you ever get this one finished, Snake?

Finished? I haven't even bought the kit yet. Though I DID buy and enjoy that Don Nicholson book I mentioned in my last post. B)

6 hours ago, alexis said:

Well, I just got the California Flash Kit, and all I can say is, "WOW" This is the first Mobius kit, I've ever had. I'll be buying more of the these '65 Kits for sure.

If I’m not mistaken, the Flash, and Golden Commandos cars are limited run kits. I have two of each, one each to build, and one each for my stash. 

One thing I found easier on this kit. When adding the wheel backing plates, add them early on and not when the instructions say. I almost broke mine trying to get them on later on. Just a small tip for you. 

The flash kit is the only one capable of building a true A990 version right out of the box.  Which is what the majority of the Super Stock mopars started with..

The Missle car is a hardtop. Thus had the wrong interior as well.

The other version they make (black car on the box ) has the right sedan body ...bot sure a out the interior. But wrong drivetrain. 

Edited by gtx6970

Maybe the MOPAR enthusiasts could post information on what differentiates a "true A990" car, to help educate the rest of us?  That's what I enjoy most about these forums, sharing information and ideas.  Maybe post it in the 1:1 Car Reference forum.

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, afx said:

Maybe the MOPAR enthusiasts could post information on what differentiates a "true A990" car, to help educate the rest of us?  That's what I enjoy most about these forums, sharing information and ideas.  Maybe post it in the 1:1 Car Reference forum.

Tim Boyd had an excellent article in the "other" magazine within the last year with all the diffs, and the last few little improvements that the kit needs. B)

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Tim Boyd had an excellent article in the "other" magazine within the last year with all the diffs, and the last few little improvements that the kit needs. B)

That doesn't help those of us that doesn't subscribe to that magazine. 

12 hours ago, afx said:

That doesn't help those of us that doesn't subscribe to that magazine. 

Maybe someone in MAMA can make you a copy. I'd scan it for you, but my scanner doesn't want to talk to my computer lately for some unknown reason. :unsure:

On 5/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, afx said:

Everything you need to know about the Race hemi pkg cars is at racehemi.com

Here is a snippet from there to sum up the 65 cars

1965 Race Hemi Lightweight Package

The light weight package offered in 1965 was only available on the Dodge Coronet and Plymouth Belvedere-I two door sedan (post) bodies. As stated in Chrysler documents "The balance of the unit, the interior trim and seats is basically the same as the 1964 Hemi Charger Super Stock." There are however some changes that include:

1. "Light weight" thin steel front fenders instead of aluminum.
2. "Light weight" thin steel hood with hemi style thin steel air scoop
3. "Light weight" thin steel radiator core support and grill support brackets.
4. Engine weight reducing parts that include a new magnesium crossram intake manifold instead of aluminum.
5. Aluminum hemi cylinder heads
6. Aluminum water pump housing and thermostat housing
7. Aluminum alternator brackets

The thin steel fenders, hood and scoop were a direct result of NHRA no longer allowing cars to be produced with the aluminum parts used on the 1964 Race Hemi cars.

EDIT,  Ive always been of the understanding all race hemi cars were 2 door sedan body styles. ALTHOUGH , there are a few race Hemi 2 door hardtops known to exist. I was told years ago they are/were an anomaly and how they became to be is unknown

More

Dodge and Plymouth Maximum Performance Wedge and Hemi Packages

The following is a list of Maximum Performance packages and race engines based on Maximum Performance packages.

A-694 413 cross ram test engine, circa 1959 (early Max Wedge prototype)
'62 413 Max Wedge
'63 426 Max Wedge
'63 426 Max Wedge Stage II
'64 426 Max Wedge Stage III
A-864 '64 race 426 Hemi
A-865 '64 NASCAR 426-4v Hemi
A-866 "Small pushrod" 426 Hemi SOHC for Indy (not produced)
A-925 DOHC 426 Hemi (not produced)
A-990 '65 race 426 Hemi engine
'67 RO Super Stock Hemi Belvedere
'67 WO Super Stock Hemi Coronet
'68 BO Super Stock Hemi Barracuda
'68 LO Super Stock Hemi Dart

Edited by gtx6970

10 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Everything you need to know about the Race hemi pkg cars is at racehemi.com

Thank you very much for posting this Bill!  You mentioned some of the Moebius kits have the wrong interior, did the A990 package have a special interior?