Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paasche paint bottles

My Paasche H airbrush came with two plastic bottles, only one of which has the tapered nipple to connect to the airbrush. I can get these glass bottles cheap at michaels and the paasche lid will screw onto them even though the thread is a little different. I would like to transfer the nipple over to the michaels lid which seems to be a better grade of plastic. I can't see how to remove the nipple though, I think it may be cast into the lid? Has anyone done something like this? Also, do all brands of airbrushes use the same taper, as in will any bottle fit any airbrush?

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_7289.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

I can not answer your question exactly as I do not have a newer airbrush or a lid of this type. As BTD mentioned above, it looks like there are two flats that you may be able to unscrew it with (I would suggest trying to find an open end wrench first). You will need something to keep the top part from spinning.

If it does unscrew you MIGHT have a problem with the new cap tightening correctly. I say this because of the raised ring in the Paasche cap. It might not tighten against the new cap (too loose). A small washer may work. You also have to be sure to drill the second (smaller) hole for air to siphon. If you use the "gasket" (white piece) from the new bottle drill both holes through that also and make sure the small hole in both line up when the lid is tightened.

To partially answer your second question, in my experience,  Paasche and Binks Wren bottles and hoses interchange. I just put an older H metal cup in my Wren B and I put the Wren bottle in an H. The angle may be slightly different but they would work to use. Again, both of these are older. I doubt that they have changed but I am not certain.

Badger and Thayer & Chandler cups and hoses interchange.

Badger and T&C cups and bottles will not interchange with Paasche or Binks airbrushes and vice-versa. Badger or Paasche might offer a bottle/lid as an adapter, you could check their sites. They do have adapter's to cross hoses from various MFGs. The closest Badger to the H and the Wren is their 350. I do not have one so again, I am not certain if they would interchange. I doubt it but I may be wrong.

As an aside, most knock off Iwata's use an Iwata hose (go figure).

Edited by DPNM

3 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

The nipple is not cast into the cap. The yellow lines point to two different materials.

The red lines point to two flat surfaces on the nipple; a pair of needle-nose pliers might work to unscrew the nipple. 

The plastic is cast right up against the flats so the metal piece with the flats will not rotate in the cap. I think the piece with the flats is a nut cast or pressed into the cap. The outer piece that fits into the airbrush is likely one piece with the nipple that the plastic pickup tube fits onto. This outer piece likely screws into the nut with the flats. The nipple could also be a part of the nut?  I need to finish the paint job I am working on before I attempt to unscrew it, (just in case I screw it up).:unsure:

Edited by NOBLNG

I have a few of the Paasche bottles with the metal cap. Those caps have a threaded nipple held on with a nut, so they can be removed and put on another cap. I put one on a MM lid. I have had no problem using them with my Badger 200 and 150.

Hey Greg

Why go to all that trouble, they sell those bottle caps with the with the draw nipple right in them. My son bought several of them, now he puts paint in the bottle puts on the replacement cap. He does his spaying, than he has some little red things he puts on the nipple and a piece of tape over the air hole and puts it away till next time he needs that color.

If you google up USA Airbrush and Supply, when you get to there site, press shop now and go to page 8 I think you will find what your looking for.   The red covers for the nipple, not sure where he got those  might of been Micro Mart. but I aint sure/

Hope this helps                                                                                                                 

Jeff

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What are you paying for the bottles at Michaels? (I looked online and they're not listed.) 

List is $7.99 CAD and then 40% off for 4 of the 1-ounce bottles or $4.99 (-40%) for 2 of the 2-ounce bottles. I have ordered 2- Paasche 1-oz and 2-Paasche 1/2 oz bottles from amazon. The 1/2 oz bottles have metal lids, so maybe those nipples can be transferred? I would like to cap the paint bottles with a solid cap if I am going to leave it for a while.

Edit: The Paasche ones from Amazon are $7.50 each. 

Edited by NOBLNG

I got the Paasche bottles yesterday. The metal-capped ones all look like they have a nut on the inside, so I should be able to transfer the fittings to the Michaels bottles if the need arises. Crappy looking gaskets in the metal lids. I will replace those with Teflon ones.

IMG_7388.JPG

IMG_7389.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

• 2 weeks later...

I just scored 6 1/2 oz bottles, which look very similar to Model Master bottles, for $6.99 at Hobby Lobby. Was so happy I bought two sets of them and only paid $4.19 for one with the coupon. As one of my airbrushes is set up to run the MM 1/2 oz bottles, I couldn't be happier! I'd never seen these there before--dunno if they're new or I'd just been overlooking them all this time. 

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just scored 6 1/2 oz bottles, which look very similar to Model Master bottles, for $6.99 at Hobby Lobby. Was so happy I bought two sets of them and only paid $4.19 for one with the coupon. As one of my airbrushes is set up to run the MM 1/2 oz bottles, I couldn't be happier! I'd never seen these there before--dunno if they're new or I'd just been overlooking them all this time. 

Hey Snake. Is the tube on top of the caps the 30 or 60 degrees? I'm using the paasche H's and VL's for my model spraying. All the other airbrushes I have are gravity feed. I would like to find some that size for suction feed.  Thanks

1 hour ago, retired & glad said:

Hey Snake. Is the tube on top of the caps the 30 or 60 degrees? I'm using the paasche H's and VL's for my model spraying. All the other airbrushes I have are gravity feed. I would like to find some that size for suction feed.  Thanks

I guess my cap angle is about 60 degrees. It's the cap that came with the used Badger 200 I bought around 1970 and I haven't seen many like it, but it works for me. The bottles I bought at HL yesterday don't have any tubes, of course, just regular lids. 

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I guess my cap angle is about 60 degrees. It's the cap that came with the used Badger 200 I bought around 1970 and I haven't seen many like it, but it works for me. The bottles I bought at HL yesterday don't have any tubes, of course, just regular lids. 

OH, Ok. I thought ya'll was talking about a siphon feed bottle caps for 1/2 oz. bottles. Thanks

• 1 year later...

I made some caps for these Passche nozzles from .017” ID polyethylene tubing and a #12 machine screw. Incidentally, the Micheals bottles are a different thread than the Passche ones. However the smaller Passche bottles are the same treads as Model Master paints. FYI. And...I have enough tubing left over for a few more!?

9A99DC41-6B64-4E51-8FD5-52D2C0A8DF42.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG