Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cubic Cuda Pro-touring with Viper powertrain

Claude Thibodeau

On 10/26/2019 at 9:33 PM, olschoolkid said:

This is one cool Cuda. I really like your style on this build. I've been thinking of doing a restomod or a pro touring build and this just gave me some inspiration.

Hi!

Thanks for the comments. This Revell kit is INDEED a nice piece of styrene. The rest-mod or pro-touring spin is easy to accomplish. The only remnant of a bygone era is the steering system: a real pro-touring will switch to rack & pinion steering and 4WDB...

CT

11 hours ago, mrm said:

Really cool car that is very well executed. Me personally, I'm not feeling the red in the grill, but it's a stunning  ere way. 

Hi!

Thanks for the comments.

This red grille is divisive, I must admit. When I built the car, the SEMA show was flooded with dark cars, with a very bright contrasting (and coordinated) color for accents: wheels, interior, trim, etc. I resisted tinting the chrome wheels in the same shade of red... Good move?

CT

On 10/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, tbill said:

That is a well built , well thought out model! Outstanding!

having said that, if it were me, I’d add the red hockey stripe on the rear quarters to tie all the red together, but that’s me.

awesome build!

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the comments! I had a decal sheet with the "hemi" hockey-stick stripe... but alas, black and white only. I agree that a red one would add to the car. I'll be on the lookout for one, who knows?

CT

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the comments! I had a decal sheet with the "hemi" hockey-stick stripe... but alas, black and white only. I agree that a red one would add to the car. I'll be on the lookout for one, who knows?

CT

Ask and you shall receive ....

A746A544-941C-4B2F-AE2C-670B6659F478.jpeg

5 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I believe I would have that thumping sound system turned off,windows down and enjoy listening to the music that engine and exhaust system would be making:)

Hi Sir!

...and, that is why the windows are down, the sound system is currently silent... and the exhaust exit sideways at the door sill.

Your wish is my command!

CT

1 hour ago, tbill said:

Ask and you shall receive ....

A746A544-941C-4B2F-AE2C-670B6659F478.jpeg

Oups...

Your picture got me to verify in my decal box, and sure enough, I have this very decal sheet (it actually came with the kit, of course!). I now remember that I refrained from using it only because of the term HEMI. I was not sure the Viper engine qualified as Hemi...

CT

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

...and, that is why the windows are down, the sound system is currently silent... and the exhaust exit sideways at the door sill.

Your wish is my command!

CT

Now let's find a nice long row of tall buildings or a mile long tunnel to make an extended low gear at high RPMs to celebrate window rattling decibel levels.

12 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Now let's find a nice long row of tall buildings or a mile long tunnel to make an extended low gear at high RPMs to celebrate window rattling decibel levels.

Well...  now I can tell that your venerable age doesn't make you any more reasonnable!  Old guys rule, as they say...

I know, because I'm not getting any younger myself... nor more reasonnable!

CT

13 hours ago, tbill said:

Couldn’t find the answer to that, but, I still think that red stripe would look fantastic on it?

I've built a real  street rod with a Viper motor a few years ago myself... but I can't remember the shape of the combustion chambers on the heads! If anyone knows, enlighten us please! On a different subject Tom: where are you located in central NY?  I've traveled your state extensively, so just curious...

CT

Definitely a beast.  Those side exhausts are a subtle change, but really add to the overall appearance.  As far as the red stripes, what is the possibility of cutting them from the decal sheet, tracing around them on some tape, applying the tape to the side of the car and painting the stripe.  That way you would have the hockey stick without the Hemi and you could use the same red you used around the grille to have a perfect match.

7 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Definitely a beast.  Those side exhausts are a subtle change, but really add to the overall appearance.  As far as the red stripes, what is the possibility of cutting them from the decal sheet, tracing around them on some tape, applying the tape to the side of the car and painting the stripe.  That way you would have the hockey stick without the Hemi and you could use the same red you used around the grille to have a perfect match.

Hi Ricky!

Well, that's a good solution. Now, I will try to stuff this in my current building list... (6 cars at once). I'll report on it in due time. Stay tuned!

CT

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

I've built a real  street rod with a Viper motor a few years ago myself... but I can't remember the shape of the combustion chambers on the heads! If anyone knows, enlighten us please! On a different subject Tom: where are you located in central NY?  I've traveled your state extensively, so just curious...

CT

I am pretty close to Oneida lake/Sylvan beach area. 1/2 way between Oneida and Rome .