Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got a new daily ride yesterday!

David I hear you on high impact colors on cars! When I had my '69 AMX it was a very bright yellow that couldn't be missed. More than a few times, I got pulled over for 'something' and one time a cop stopped me as he swore my car had no front bumper. Well, he looked mighty foolish as he couldn't see that the bumpers were painted black and since he was in FRONT of me initially, in his rear view mirror they appeared missing.

He also thought I was a bit 'young' for a car like that! :D He had asked me how old I was (I was 27 at the time) and he said "Oh.......I think you can handle it!"

So yeah, even with my Challenger which is white, I have to 'drive on eggshells' in certain places. I've already been stopped once and the cop (who was driving a Charger police car incidentally) just gave me a warning thank goodness!

Another problem has popped up, insurance. Based on my most recent conversation with the insurance agent I'm thinking I better start shopping now. My former agent has retired and she was a car enthusiast which made dealing with her much easier to deal with than I realized. She drove a Corvette and she and her husband also had other hiperformance cars also. The new lady kept making remarks about our Chargers and my wife's Avenger. The names sounded very aggressive to her and she was sure that there would be a sur charge of some type. I had to remind her that they had never ever had to pay a claim on use and that my wife has only received one ticket in her life and that was dismissed by the officers Sargent after I spoke to him and he reviewed the dash cam video. I had one speeding ticket in a KCK speed trap at 10 mph over four years ago and the only other was in '98 when I had it coming at 75 in a 60. Prior to that it had been more than 20 years with no moving violations. She still thinks we're high risk.    

Congratulations on the new Honda. If I was a car person, I would buy a new Civic. I love the look, especially the Type R or the 4 door. Last car I bought was a 2010 Corolla Type S, Barcelona red. I liked the look and it drove fine but in 2 years I had only put 4500 miles on it. I always drove my SUV  instead. Traded the Corolla for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in 2012.

I like that red Mustang also, congrats on that one, looks to be fun.

21 minutes ago, espo said:

Another problem has popped up, insurance. Based on my most recent conversation with the insurance agent I'm thinking I better start shopping now. My former agent has retired and she was a car enthusiast which made dealing with her much easier to deal with than I realized.

Don't get me started with insurance! I see them as nothing more than social engineers. You can have the nice brown SUV/Minivan with 'reasonable' rates, but you can't have the red (name your sporty car) because WE think that's high risk. Never mind that in my over 40 years of driving, I've NEVER wrecked any car I've owned! :huh: 

21 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Don't get me started with insurance! I see them as nothing more than social engineers. You can have the nice brown SUV/Minivan with 'reasonable' rates, but you can't have the red (name your sporty car) because WE think that's high risk. Never mind that in my over 40 years of driving, I've NEVER wrecked any car I've owned! :huh: 

I, like so many others, have had the same thing happen when it comes to insurance companies. They focus on anything they can think of to charge a higher rate for their coverage. They seem to pay to little attention to the drivers rate of claims or if they have had any claims at all. I'll bore you with a personal story from my past. As a young man just married and a few tickets but no accidents or claims ever, I purchased a new '66 Impala Super Sport with the 396/325 engine and a 4-speed. You would think I was trying to insure a rocket ship since the insurance payments were greater than my car payment. MY prior car insured with the same company was a '57 Ford Mainliner 2 door with the 312/245 engine and a 3-speed with O/D. My rates were nominal on that car but if you mention words like Super Sport the insurance companies would go straight up the wall and turn right. After talking with my agent about the rates on various other models I found that they seemed to like Bel Air 2-doors and only asked if it was a v8 or a 6. So I ordered a new '68 Bel Air with the 427/385 engine and a 4-sped and my insurance dropped almost in half. Go figure. The insurance companies are more interested in generating income than serving their customers. 

7 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

??2009 Ford Crown Vic police interceptor.ALL blacked out.A set of Flow masters.This might be the fastest daily driver I’ve ever owned.And since it was an outta state detectives car,it’s in excellent shape.

6EB7F657-C8B0-45B8-A697-6379B232C1DB.jpeg

D58CF707-6520-4B55-8FE1-4F1C621C3A82.jpeg

Nice