Model Cars Magazine Forum

9 hours ago, shoopdog said:

???????

Square body GM trucks, 1973 to 1987. Me, I got only the totally raw unbuilt kits (mid-lower right in the pic below) from Revell, MPC & Monogram, with the future intent of building a factory stock '76 GMC Jimmy. But first, the decision is which to use as the most accurate platform starting point ...

kit collection.JPG

I have a couple MPC ones finished. 

The black and silver was built from the '84 GMC reissue. Front suspension on that one is from an AMT Chevy van kit. I made the wheel centers.

152 5284

152 5279

152 5292

This one is the original '78 2 wheel drive kit. 

Lots of cutting and grinding on the chassis to get it this low. Engine is from a Revell '68 Vette.

IMG 2078

IMG 2073

IMG 2088

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I have a couple MPC ones finished. 

The black and silver was built from the '84 GMC reissue. Front suspension on that one is from an AMT Chevy van kit. I made the wheel centers.

152 5284

152 5279

Im trying to find inspiration to build my 84 desserter kit and you said you used the chevy van's suspension... How much cutting/grafting did you have to do or is it what i think it is? the actual suspension from the original 2wd truck? and did the suspension come from amts nypd police van kit or is that the same as the one you used???

38 minutes ago, bandit1 said:

Im trying to find inspiration to build my 84 desserter kit and you said you used the chevy van's suspension... How much cutting/grafting did you have to do or is it what i think it is? the actual suspension from the original 2wd truck? and did the suspension come from amts nypd police van kit or is that the same as the one you used???

The suspension I used was salvaged from an old gluebomb A-Team van but the current police van has the exact same parts. They're almost the same in the 1/1 trucks. Not quite but close enough for under something like this. I was told that the real van A-arms are longer on one side because of the engine offset but the kit parts look the same length to me.

It takes a bit of cutting and filling to notch out for the frame but it works. The parts I had were damaged so I made my own uprights so I got to get it as low as I could and keep the thing still looking close to stock and make it poseable.

Here's a couple pics.

151 5115

151 5116

151 5117

151 5118