Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1985 Trans Am Completed PICS

crispy

I've had this kit longer than my wife and kids. Finally took the time to build it.

This was my most favorite 3rd gen and so I built it in the launch colors. Or, how I would have purchased a real one had I the money.

TS-14 Black, TS13-Clear on body

TS-46 Sand interior with Testor's tan flocking.

My how I have forgotten how bad the decals were back in the day. Lots of milky film and thick. Since the decals have been drying some of them have wrinkled a bit. I hope to get them to lay down with some Micro set.

Lots of different glues to hold this thing together because unbeknown to me the body had a slight warp as did the front and rear window. Epoxy is holding the front window and then CA glue to hold the rear taillight/bumper to the car.

Here are a couple of pics:

ta17-vi.jpg

ta20-vi.jpg

ta23-vi.jpg

More of the build can be seen here:

Monogram 1985 Trans Am

Back to exotics....

Chris

Chris, my friend!

That is sooo beautiful! LOVE IT!

That is bringing so many memories! While the new body was out in '82, the '85 was by far my favorite! I was 15 years old then, and that was my favorite car of the day. I STILL have a small poster of that car from GM's pavillion in EPCOT center in the summer of '85. I built that same kit when it came out. I clearly remember buying it at the local toy store with mom and dad while shopping for Christmas gifts, and they paid for it as a gift. I remember building it at the dining table. I still have parts from that car. If I ever run into another copy of the kit I'd like to build it again, hood bird decal and all, just like yours, except maybe silver wheels.

Ohh you made me 23 years younger today!

THANKS!

Beautiful 'Bird Chris!

The last pic looks like it came right out of the Pontiac brochure! Aaaahhh 1985-----hard to believe that's now nearly 24 years ago! :(

I too remember when this car was new............this was a semi dream car for me as I LOVED the original '82 body style!

"The best looking car in 10 years" the automotive press said about the new for 1982 Firebird. I so wanted the more refined '85-----but I was a 24 year old going to school at the time, making $11,000 a year and a $15,000+ (IIRC) car was out of the question!

I just had to make do with my very cantankerous '71 MG.....and buy and build a model of the car (MPC), which I still have buried in one of my model boxes somewhere.

My only complaint about the Monogram kit is it would have been icing on the cake if they would have made that model with a T-Top. That roofline always lent itself better to the T-Top style to my view. ;)

Yes I too remember the first time I saw a new '82 Firebird/Camaro. I was in College and driving a used '69 Mustang. I just loved the sleek taute lines on those cars. Hard to see them age over the years... ;)

Your build is very nicely done. Clean and represents one of the best examples of this era I can remember.

Well done! :(

Very nice build. Like others I have fond memories of an experience with this generation of Firbird. My brother had an '83 and we did a cross country camping trip through the Canadian Rockies in it. We still laugh about having to use the 'bird one night to tie our tent to because the ground was to rocky to pound pegs into. You've built a model to be proud of.

RobW