Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Rebox of the Italeri 378 Long Hauler

I know this is gonna be a bad idea but the attitudes presented by some folks here is likely the reason  people quit coming here. I have read plenty of post raging some for their methods and wile it may not be the way you do it doesnt give you the green light to flame someone.Chris produces 2 vids every week, look very well done on top of building the featured kit.

I for one not only have learned skills here but also from hpiguys videos.If you produce show winning builds i'm glad for you and i do enjoy looking at the detail that goes into them.Plus,as only 2 plus years into building models i like to see the kits i could be interested in buying before spending what little funds i have for this hobby.i see now who the instigators are here and for the most part let it go.

I feel if folks want to see more new tooled kits the target audience is going to have to grow to get that to happen and someone like hpiguy or others is, i feel a way to get that to happen.

Mods, i hope i dont get sent to the wood shed for this but enough is enough all ready.

Like Micheel said,lets play nice for the benefit of the hobby

?

The multipart cabs are not that difficult to assemble.
When i build them i usually testfit the cabparts to eachother first and fix any problems there might be (almost never anything exept some flash) and then when i know it fit togheter i paint the cabparts.
While those are drying i start to build the interior of the cab and after all paint have dried i assemble the cab by starting with one of the sidepanels and floorpan, then i just go in a circle untill it is complete and straight.
The roof can wait untill last because it just sits ontop and does nothing the keep the cab togheter, i usually use it to check it everything is straight and are not leaning anywhere it should not.
Then glue it on or leave it removable, all my cab roofs are glued on as they sometimes dont sit flush with the walls and have to be held down while the glue does its thing

The sleeper is easier then the cab.
Those i also paint before i assemble them and when i start assembling them i start with the backwall and then i look for the driverside wall as it is the one that also help to hold the bed up.
After i have found them i glue the backwall and sidewall to eachother, then i put in the bed and glue it to where it goes, that way the bed will help hold those parts togheter and then you can put in the floor and continue building the walls.
Leaving the roof for last once again and just leave it loose to have it removable, there are tabs that goes in to but out sections on the inside of the walls, (i think you have seen them if you have looked at the parts)
Or glue it on.
I have some that are removable but most of them i glue on because there is really not much to look at inside the sleeper.

1 hour ago, Spruslayer said:

I know this is gonna be a bad idea but the attitudes presented by some folks here is likely the reason  people quit coming here. I have read plenty of post raging some for their methods and wile it may not be the way you do it doesnt give you the green light to flame someone.Chris produces 2 vids every week, look very well done on top of building the featured kit.

I for one not only have learned skills here but also from hpiguys videos.If you produce show winning builds i'm glad for you and i do enjoy looking at the detail that goes into them.Plus,as only 2 plus years into building models i like to see the kits i could be interested in buying before spending what little funds i have for this hobby.i see now who the instigators are here and for the most part let it go.

I feel if folks want to see more new tooled kits the target audience is going to have to grow to get that to happen and someone like hpiguy or others is, i feel a way to get that to happen.

Mods, i hope i dont get sent to the wood shed for this but enough is enough all ready.

Like Micheel said,lets play nice for the benefit of the hobby

?

Thanks man it's all about the fun and showing folks how easy it is to make a model, any model, any age, any brand.

Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, PierreR89 said:

The multipart cabs are not that difficult to assemble.
When i build them i usually testfit the cabparts to eachother first and fix any problems there might be (almost never anything exept some flash) and then when i know it fit togheter i paint the cabparts.
While those are drying i start to build the interior of the cab and after all paint have dried i assemble the cab by starting with one of the sidepanels and floorpan, then i just go in a circle untill it is complete and straight.
The roof can wait untill last because it just sits ontop and does nothing the keep the cab togheter, i usually use it to check it everything is straight and are not leaning anywhere it should not.
Then glue it on or leave it removable, all my cab roofs are glued on as they sometimes dont sit flush with the walls and have to be held down while the glue does its thing

The sleeper is easier then the cab.
Those i also paint before i assemble them and when i start assembling them i start with the backwall and then i look for the driverside wall as it is the one that also help to hold the bed up.
After i have found them i glue the backwall and sidewall to eachother, then i put in the bed and glue it to where it goes, that way the bed will help hold those parts togheter and then you can put in the floor and continue building the walls.
Leaving the roof for last once again and just leave it loose to have it removable, there are tabs that goes in to but out sections on the inside of the walls, (i think you have seen them if you have looked at the parts)
Or glue it on.
I have some that are removable but most of them i glue on because there is really not much to look at inside the sleeper.

I can happily say that I'm impressed by this Italeri rebox.

The AMT Wrecker took me two days of assembly and was very fiddly, lining up axles and such.

This kit is light years different. 6 hours of assembly and I was in paint. 
Figured out the cab quickly, and the floor inserts from the bottom so bang zoom and it was done, ready for paint without having to do the interior and paint it first.
Like you I sealed the sleeper up, you won't see it anyway.
The seams on the chrome bits are nice, little super glue and touch up with molotow and they look nice enough that I'm not repainting any chrome at all.

6 hours from intro video of parts and built in subsections ready for paint (frame, engine, cab, sleeper and chrome bits) A sign of a well fitting and easy to assemble kit.

Thats good to know that you can do that with this kit.
I am waiting untill i have seen your video of it to decide if i want to buy it.
I did not buy the Italeri verison because i just did not like the box for some reason, it looked booring somehow, just a truck sitting in a driveway.

1 hour ago, PierreR89 said:

Thats good to know that you can do that with this kit.
I am waiting untill i have seen your video of it to decide if i want to buy it.
I did not buy the Italeri verison because i just did not like the box for some reason, it looked booring somehow, just a truck sitting in a driveway.

I'm looking at an Oct 30th video for that one I hope. Others done before it are set for this Weds and Saturday.

7 hours ago, hpiguy said:

I'm looking at an Oct 30th video for that one I hope. Others done before it are set for this Weds and Saturday.

I'll be watching out for the video Chris because while I have three of these in the Italeri boxes on the shelves, none have hit the bench yet. The closest any of mine have gotten to my bench is the Detroit got assembled from it's sister Italeri kit the Peterbilt 377 A/E I bought years ago just for the engine and wheels and some other parts. 

After viewing Hpiguys (Chris)video, I knew this was going to be my next model purchase. 
I for one have never built a cab that is molded in all separate parts either. 
My main concern was to have a trailer in 1:24 scale to compliment the tractor... so this bad boy, along with the tractor are scheduled to arrive today. 

Keep the videos coming. I really enjoy the reviews. 

C353BC16-F148-4B2A-A48E-6325BD789866.jpeg

On 11/5/2019 at 10:58 AM, Brutalform said:

My main concern was to have a trailer in 1:24 scale to compliment the tractor... so this bad boy, along with the tractor are scheduled to arrive today. 

This is an Italeri 1/24th scale tractor with a 1/25th scale Moebius trailer. I really don't understand why it is such a big deal to some. This Peterbilt 378 would look fine with the Moebius trailer too, but I guess that's just my opinion. 

HPIM4781.thumb.JPG.89c4f80c6101d9a612d809f6d6abb7a1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...