Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970's Uni body construction

We'll be starting a Monogram 1970 Plymouth GTX and was wondering if these cars were unibody construction , I think they were . Would the underbody colour match the body colour ?

If colour was different what colour should  we use ? Do I have this phrased correctly ?

Thanks for any help.

Robert.

By 1970, all Mopar cars were unibody.

Chrysler Corp. began the big transition in 1960, and by '67, the last line (Imperial) had made the switch.

There was a bolt-on front subframe, however.

And there are some folks here who really know their stuff as to what should be what color with these cars. You'll be hearing from them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Generally speaking, engine compartments including frame rails visible from the engine bay, radiator support panels, most of the wheel side of the front fender aprons, most of the rear wheel tubs on the wheel side and the trunk compartments all got a splash of body colour, albeit a thin coat. The undersides of hoods and decklids were painted body colour too.Passenger compartment floors were a hit-and-miss as far as colour coats.

The underside edges of the floors along the rocker panels, lower quarter panels and rear panels were dealt a shot of overspray when the bodies were sprayed. Frame components in close proximity also got oversprayed.

Depending on the body colour, the grill sides of rad support panels usually got a sloppy spray of black. 

K members (engine cradles) were black.

Mostly, the primer undercoats were grey, though I did own a '71 Citron Yellow Duster that had red oxide factory primer on both front fenders (factory repair?), and when I did my Dad's Harvest Gold '73 Swinger, it also had red oxide factory primer.

Edited by restoman

19 hours ago, rob1957 said:

We'll be starting a Monogram 1970 Plymouth GTX and was wondering if these cars were unibody construction , I think they were . Would the underbody colour match the body colour ?

If colour was different what colour should  we use ? Do I have this phrased correctly ?

Thanks for any help.

Robert.

Grey primer on the  floor  with some body color over-spray along the outer edges, more in the inner wheel house areas.

undercoating then sprayed in the wheel house areas.

rear axle suspension stuff with be a semi gloss black rear axle , leaf springs will be either bare metal or black .

gloss black front lower K frame , the front suspension is mostly bare steel

shocks are a low gloss black both ends

Challenger-floorpan.thumb.jpg.2789ac3fe708a337d0ce1b8c96a8b135.jpg