Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbie Alert: 1991 4Runner (Aoshima 104 Surf)

Please be gentle as this is my 1st Workbench build. ? O and I'm trying to learn how to use my camera properly.

Anyway, this is the Aoshima 104 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR, which I am building as a US-spec 1991 Toyota 4Runner. Exterior color is Duplicolor Toyota Red Mica over a black primer, which in retrospect may not have been the best choice as it's a bit dark. Interior will be "shades of grey."

I've spent way too much time on the chassis and am still not complete with it. The only modification is I cut off the molded-in plastic springs from the axle (which imho looked awful): I made the top spring isolators from some 1:10 scale rc parts, then found some plastic-covered silver wire. I wrapped this wire around a drill bit to form the springs. I'm going to mount the spare tire under the body, as was the custom w/ US models.

Really taking my time on this one to try and do it right and hone my techniques. Any suggestions, constructive criticism, mocking is welcome. And more later!

image.png.80fc01a96249dc578aed220fb7f7d0e3.pngimage.png.b21b61de680d7ccda92a0c60e628c674.png

image.png.5db13be3aedef0bfb6fd857f35de3328.png

Edited by average_joe

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking the work you've done on this so far. Good idea to replace the springs with real wire. The molded in blobs never look good. I like the Mica red. If the red on the chassis is over black then I don't think that it is too dark. Keep it up and let's see some updates.

Later-

Thank you all for the feedback and encouragement so far! I haven't made a great deal of progress as in the past 2 weeks I had to travel out of town for 2 funerals. :( But the body is painted, the chassis completed, and I'm working on the interior now. Hopefully I don't have to travel any more for a while and can get back at this one in earnest.