Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear coat over Tamiya

m408

Tamiya is a synthetic lacquer..any lacquer paint will work..

best option is Tamiya TS-13 clear. its good stuff, put a couple mist coats down for base, then lay down a few wet coats.it goes on very thin, like all tamiya paint, so you will need the heavier wet coats at the ends...

its best to clear over tamiya within 30 minutes or wait 30 days..

I have waited 24 hours to clear, and didnt have an issue, but have heard that was pushing it..

I have used Testors model master lacquer clear over Tamiya with mixed results. I dont think Tamiya gloss black likes anything other than Tamiya clear. but I put it over a tamiya chrome yellow base and tamiya pearl clear mid coat with great results.

duplicolor import touch up paint clear, is another option. its also lacquer, but i havent tried it over tamiya...

Tamiya is a synthetic lacquer..any lacquer paint will work..

best option is Tamiya TS-13 clear. its good stuff, put a couple mist coats down for base, then lay down a few wet coats.it goes on very thin, like all tamiya paint, so you will need the heavier wet coats at the ends...

its best to clear over tamiya within 30 minutes or wait 30 days..

I have waited 24 hours to clear, and didnt have an issue, but have heard that was pushing it..

I have used Testors model master lacquer clear over Tamiya with mixed results. I dont think Tamiya gloss black likes anything other than Tamiya clear. but I put it over a tamiya chrome yellow base and tamiya pearl clear mid coat with great results.

duplicolor import touch up paint clear, is another option. its also lacquer, but i havent tried it over tamiya...

Thanks James. Problem is that this will be a two tone paint job with a thin black stripe between the colors. Maybe just using Future might be my best bet.

Milt

I've used both Tamiya Clear and Model Masters Ultra Gloss clear over Tamiya paints without any problems

If you're not worried about losing detail...Rustoleum Clear Lacquer works well also, it's a wee bit heavier...but comes in a big can

as far as a two tone paint jobs...clear coat after applying all of your color coats

this also helps knock down ridge lines between the colors

good luck

c'ya

curt

I recently used Dupli-Color clear over Tamiya Black Metallic on a '97 F-150 with no ill effects. Actually, since I didn't have much left in the can, everything was basecoated with Dupli-Color Universal Black, and after laying on the Tamiya paint, I shot the lower body with Dupli-Color Desert Tan.

Thanks guys. I'll try to explain the extent of my dilemma, and my proposed plan. Your comments will be appreciated.

The kit is AMT's 34 Ford 5 window. To install the interior bucket the body must be spread. Can't do it with the fire wall glued in. Don't want to install the interior and have to mask windows etc.. for paint. So....I have painted the top section and applied Future to allow for some handling while working on the lower section. Installing windows and interior bucket. Then will finish lower section, prep, and paint.

Whacha think?

• 4 weeks later...
hey man i use future floor wax it works gret i mix it 2 parts wax and 1 part 90% alhocohol

Future is already so thin it runs like crazy with almost no provocation. There is no need to thin it at all to spray, if anything it needs to thicken before being sprayed. The only thing I really like about spraying Future is the lemony scent :)