Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49-'52 Chevy business coupe

This could also be done by combining the Revell '50 Oldsmobile kits roof and an AMT '50 Chevrolet hardtop kit. Some surgery would be involved, but in the real world many of the body stampings would interchange between these two bodies.  

On 11/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Been there, done that...

image.png.011c7fb39b345cd029093bed0ef22f8a.png

image.png.e43cede87e1d6948cdc9a82f02094fef.png

This is the model build that I was thinking of. I bought a resin body a couple of years ago that may have been cast off of the fastback created here. In the full scale world it was a fairly common thing for Drag Racers looking to lower the weight of an Oldsmobile to use the doors and trunk lids from Chevrolets for a little weight savings for minimum expense. I have always liked the '50's GM body styles and have owned a few thru the years. These pictures illustrate just how these bodies can be altered and that was what I was trying to suggest. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

This is the model build that I was thinking of. I bought a resin body a couple of years ago that may have been cast off of the fastback created here...

Just to make sure credit is given where it's due...I did NOT master the fastback model you have, but I wouldn't be surprised if whoever actually DID the master ended up using the cuts shown above.

After having studied several attempts at building a fastback Olds from these two kits, I developed what I found was a superior method of achieving same and posted it to help anyone contemplating the mod...but I never finished either car.

One thing that was remarkable was that the measuring and scaling of these two kits, done decades apart, was close enough to make the swap pretty straightforward...as it should be.

Measuring and scaling done in the 1960s or '70s should yield the same numbers as when done in the 2000s, but it often doesn't.