Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Freightliner started

13 minutes ago, gatorincebu said:

Jerry ,

I like what you are doing on this one. Looks good from here !

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator I’m trying. Also some slightly rough areas on the roof of the cab. You only learn as you progress.

4 minutes ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Thanks Gator I’m trying. Also some slightly rough areas on the roof of the cab. You only learn as you progress.

Jerry,

A suggestion. Take a fine scotch britie pad and knock down some of the thick paint on the roof. I think that would look really good.

Be Well

Gator

1 hour ago, gatorincebu said:

Jerry,

A suggestion. Take a fine scotch britie pad and knock down some of the thick paint on the roof. I think that would look really good.

Be Well

Gator

Okay thanks I’ll try that. Also as I look at it. I’m not that pleased with the curves at the front of the cab. Hoping the kit stripes can be of help. If not them oh well I tried. Have a great day. 

14 hours ago, Vince66 said:

I'll paint any car for $99.95 Guaranteed or my name isn't Earl Sheib.

Yes remember those ads. 

Vince correct. So after stripping the paint with Easy Off Yellow and using steel wool and green scrub pad to remove the paint and primer and then reprimed  the cab for its visit to Earl Scheib’s last night I looked at it this morning and there’s a sort of waviness to the left cab door. When stripping it last night I saw what appeared to be “cratering” in the paint. However I felt the new primer would cover it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Edited by JerseeJerry55

Well Jerry, as far as my experience and knowledge goes, cry out, take a deep breath and start all over again.:)

If it was me in this situation, I would use oven cleaner to strip the cabin and start again with primer.

Keep an eye on temperature, same kind of paint and humidity.;)

Hermann.

On 3/11/2020 at 7:33 PM, Hermann Kersten said:

Well Jerry, as far as my experience and knowledge goes, cry out, take a deep breath and start all over again.:)

If it was me in this situation, I would use oven cleaner to strip the cabin and start again with primer.

Keep an eye on temperature, same kind of paint and humidity.;)

Hermann.

Thanks. Repainted it and it will go in the stash. A friend is kind enough to sell me another cab. Do away I go.

31 minutes ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Yes Jerry,  it looks more better then the first try.

Are you still use a second contrast color, like the first cab,  or striping?

Hermann.

Herman hello and thank you. No straight Red freight truck. Next one maybe slightly different two tone cab. I know the issue the last one had and this one as well. I used Rustoleum auto primer and it is rough between the rivets on the roof and some other areas around the cab. Maybe I use a better primer next time but for now it is what it is. Since it’s a fleet truck maybe rougher areas lend themselves to the look I’m trying to get. We shall see.

Just use the normal primer like Motip or Duplo color, if I'm correct, they are from the same factory.

I have good experience with this primer on my Freightliner cabs.

May bye you can make it smooth with some layers of gloss varnish, just aware that the varnish is on the same base as the Rustoleum, otherwise the paint and varnish will solve each other.

Hermann.