Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac Grand Slam

Did that thing actually exist? Is the supercharged engine based on something real or is it a figment of someone's imagination? I have never seen a supercharger like this, almost like a Latham but more modern.

5-vi.jpg

th.jpg

Edited by landman

The kit parts simply represent a GMC-style Roots type blower with a cast aluminum upper adapter manifold for side-draft Weber carbs.

Similar castings were made to run multiple side-draft carbs like the Rochesters that came on early 6-cylinder Corvettes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

27 minutes ago, landman said:

Thanks guys. I might just build the stock version for the collection and put the supercharger in the dio somewhere until I need it to put into a project.

Not a bad idea, having spare parts is always good. 

A fairly nice set of a similar setup can be found inside one of the 57 Chevy kits...I do not recall wich one. (had it as a kid)

I do remember the kit came with a small alligator figure. In fact I still have the model itself in a box somewhere.

If I remember correct, it has that "sidedraft" setup on a supercharged 348...

10 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

A fairly nice set of a similar setup can be found inside one of the 57 Chevy kits...I do not recall wich one. (had it as a kid)

That's in the original AMT '57 Chevy Bel Air kit, first released back around 1962.  And re-released umpteen times, most recently as "Pepper Shaker" (again!).  The box calls the engine a 409.

pep-shak.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

That's in the original AMT '57 Chevy Bel Air kit, first released back around 1962.  And re-released umpteen times, most recently as "Pepper Shaker" (again!).  The box calls the engine a 409.

pep-shak.jpg

I figured it was, but couldnt remember the one I had specifically... nor could I remember the manufacturer. that makes sense though... wonder if that one had the silly little gator in it?

2 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

...A fairly nice set of a similar setup can be found inside one of the 57 Chevy kits...I do not recall wich one. (had it as a kid)...

That kit's parts represent a S.C.o.T blower (not a great representation though), with a similar cast aluminum upper adapter manifold that uses sidedraft Rochester carbs, as I mentioned above.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

That's in the original AMT '57 Chevy Bel Air kit, first released back around 1962.  And re-released umpteen times, most recently as "Pepper Shaker" (again!).  The box calls the engine a 409...

The 348 and 409 engines are visually identical externally, as far as block, heads, rocker covers, etc. Induction system and accessories could be different, however.

37 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That kit's parts represent a S.C.o.T blower (not a great representation though), with a similar cast aluminum upper adapter manifold that uses sidedraft Rochester carbs, as I mentioned above.

The 348 and 409 engines are visually identical externally, as far as block, heads, rocker covers, etc. Induction system and accessories could be different, however.

I thought the lower case o was a typo but it is actually correct. Here's what I found, didn't know that:

Not mentioned in the previous post, but perhaps everyone knows, S.C.O.T. stood for Supercharger Company Of Turin. Or so the legend goes.

There were two versions of that '57 Chevy supercharger: one eas called S.C.O.T., the other Italmenica (sp?).  One was a refined/perfected version of the other.  Not sure which came first.  The first version didn't work well, nor did it last long.  The second company straightened it out and started selling the improved version, only to be undercut by someone dumping the original, poorer version at a much lower price, which wrecked the reputation of the good one.  If I remember right, there was an article in Rodders' Journal about them.

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I didn't know the particular brand of supercharger...lol I was mainly just talking about the carbs/configuration as that is what I thought OP was asking about.

But I do own an old GMC 8-71 I got for free... Salvaged it from under an old lady's back porch. Said I could have whatever I find.

Found two old Offenhauser intakes 1, I think is for an Oldsmobile and the other a Chrysler.

All this stuff had probably been there since the late 60s... but all in darn good shape, as it was all sealed in wooden crates wrapped in tarps.

Better stop now, I ain't no jacker... lol

55 minutes ago, mod3l Lover said:

The Boyd Coddington  version in the old tooling

has the gator, and a neat little Tiki gear shift nob!

And the old custom body parts also!!

David S.

s-l640 (1).jpg

I definitely didnt have this one... I think it may have been an older release I had?

For some reason I wanna say this is the one I had that contained the alligator and with optional drag parts and decals.

s-l640.jpg

1 hour ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I didn't know the particular brand of supercharger...lol I was mainly just talking about the carbs/configuration as that is what I thought OP was asking about.

This was part of the OP's question:

"I have never seen a supercharger like this, almost like a Latham but more modern."

He's clearly asking what brand of blower it is, as in "Latham".

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This was part of the OP's question:

"I have never seen a supercharger like this, almost like a Latham but more modern."

He's clearly asking what brand of blower it is, as in "Latham".

Wow, now I see what I did! I honestly do not know how I missed that Haha, for some reason I was thinking he was only asking about the configuration of the carbs...

Perhaps I need my eyes and brain checked out! ?‍♂️

34 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Wow, now I see what I did! I honestly do not know how I missed that Haha, for some reason I was thinking he was only asking about the configuration of the carbs...

Perhaps I need my eyes and brain checked out! ?‍♂️

Don't worry about it. The first part of my question was about the car (which looking back on it wasn't clear at all), then yes about the blower. As for the carbs, the instructions call them "weber" but in quotation marks. Is that because they weren't sure? :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, landman said:

Don't worry about it. The first part of my question was about the car (which looking back on it wasn't clear at all), then yes about the blower. As for the carbs, the instructions call them "weber" but in quotation marks. Is that because they weren't sure? :rolleyes:

Haha, it really was my bad missing your actual question.

And as far as the "Webers" go... unless Dr. Evil was working for AMT I'd say it's a fair possibility they weren't sure!

596.gif.5017d1e9b131aa0d1b0752418c8d2d45.gif