Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon Short Cuts spray paint.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:03 AM, Brutalform said:

If it is indeed enamel, then it must be very forgiving, as I cleared over it with a lacquer. The clear laid down nice and smooth. Also, I’ve never had any enamel be dry to the touch in 20 minutes or so. Maybe some of the cans are enamel, maybe some are acrylic or lacquer. 

I have cleared Krylon short cuts with Testors One Coat Clear. I also use Tamiya  primer under it

I was just on the Krylon website looking for info on their Shimmer (metalflake) paints and checked the Short Cuts FAQs while I was at it. They call it "VT Alkyd (no xylene)", whatever that means. 

The Shimmer is called "modified alkyd" and "modified alkyd enamel." 

BTW some of the questions on the Krylon site are pretty funny. It's amazing what people want to paint with these things. 

Also BTW, I just used the Shimmer stuff for the first time and so far I'm pretty impressed with it. Its major problem is that the flakes are too big for any kind of factory metallic finish (though just about perfect for what I'm doing, a dune buggy), but it's pretty easy to work with.