Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lancia Stratos

dougwintz

Hey, Doug, they say great minds think alike! I just finished a Lancia Stratos WRC yesterday! I was going to start a Workbench thread this week...lol. I’m really looking forward to seeing yours when she is done. Getting that chassis into the body...???

Here are some more pictures of the work in progress. Ready to finish the trim and livery for this one. I'm not terribly excited about the gap between the front/rear of the car, but not sure that can be avoided given the shape of the join between the two. The headlights are always tough to get clean without any glue smears. I did make a mistake there - can anyone tell what it is? 

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

14 hours ago, dougwintz said:

Here are some more pictures of the work in progress. Ready to finish the trim and livery for this one. I'm not terribly excited about the gap between the front/rear of the car, but not sure that can be avoided given the shape of the join between the two. The headlights are always tough to get clean without any glue smears. I did make a mistake there - can anyone tell what it is? 

IMG_4254.jpg

She is coming along very nicely, Doug! The Stratos is such a cool little car. As to you question, I’m going to say it is the placement of the two different headlight lenses. No big deal. Can’t wait to see it done!

Try using this glue for your lights and clear parts. Works really well. You can find it at Hobby Lobby or Micheals in the bead area.  I also use a toothpick with a tiny bit of putty or clay to place the lens that way your not touching the with your fingers. Car looks great. 

image.jpg

16 hours ago, Gt fan said:

Try using this glue for your lights and clear parts. Works really well. You can find it at Hobby Lobby or Micheals in the bead area.  I also use a toothpick with a tiny bit of putty or clay to place the lens that way your not touching the with your fingers. Car looks great. 

image.jpg

Its good stuff, but i find it VERY messy, and stringy.

18 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

She is coming along very nicely, Doug! The Stratos is such a cool little car. As to you question, I’m going to say it is the placement of the two different headlight lenses. No big deal. Can’t wait to see it done!

We have a winner! Nacho, you're right. When they were on the sprue I thought, hey, those headlights are the same. Glued in, and under magnification, I saw the difference. Its like a movie about the future, but someone on the set left a KFC wrapper in the background. 

Just now, dougwintz said:

Ok....allmmmost done. I think the final pieces are gas tanks on either side of the engine, and a battery. maybe some additional plumbing. Showing it next to the version with Alitalia livery. I have a couple more of these kits and engines, so i'm looking for some interesting livery. 

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg