Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya R35 Skyline

lghtngyello03

I didn’t get anything done yesterday, but I got a small amount done tonight.  

I got the mold marks sanded out of the spoiler and the spoiler put together.  I then washed everything to get the mold release agent off of it in preparation for primer tomorrow since I have the day off of work. 

1279F8B8-1A52-4F02-8F07-6BD75CF0B22A.jpeg

692AAE0F-DF4C-42D2-9B3F-14C3C0856778.jpeg

8907615F-20CA-483A-8958-D1F7305EF351.jpeg

873A9E24-B5A9-4B16-84F5-A51593B5B1D0.jpeg

Well, all my hard work on body prep paid off. I got my primer laid down this morning on all the body parts.  I am pleased to say there is no work that needs to be done. No more sanding or anything will need to be done. Just maybe a quick wet sand before color. 

Now on to getting all the chassis/suspension and interior parts off of the Spru and cleaned up for a coat of dark gray primer. 

2A43E847-F818-47C7-B82F-75E6B3D571CA.jpeg

D11B32D5-D9E0-4B83-A131-213CD4769CE5.jpeg

AC05E68D-6E3E-4C1D-90DF-A4AE5468E27C.jpeg

CEC5CC22-0E49-440A-8CFF-75B1BA9C06B4.jpeg

10 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Well, all my hard work on body prep paid off. I got my primer laid down this morning on all the body parts.  I am pleased to say there is no work that needs to be done. No more sanding or anything will need to be done. Just maybe a quick wet sand before color. 

Now on to getting all the chassis/suspension and interior parts off of the Spru and cleaned up for a coat of dark gray primer. 

2A43E847-F818-47C7-B82F-75E6B3D571CA.jpeg

D11B32D5-D9E0-4B83-A131-213CD4769CE5.jpeg

AC05E68D-6E3E-4C1D-90DF-A4AE5468E27C.jpeg

CEC5CC22-0E49-440A-8CFF-75B1BA9C06B4.jpeg

It sure did!!!

10 hours ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

Do you need to dilute the Splash colors?

I have had a look at a few of their other colors and they are really nice and vibrant.

Cant wait to see this build finished.

No sir. They come prethinned and ready to spray. No problems whatsoever. I got the chassis sprayed tonight. I’m very pleased with this color. The body is gonna really pop with clear on it. 

I think today was a good days work. I got all of the parts sprayed in Dark Gray Primer that needed to be sprayed semi gloss black. Then, all semi gloss black parts were sprayed, and work on the chassis began. 

I taped the chassis up and sprayed the Splash Paints Katsura Orange, and then started the detailing process. I got the driveshafts, heat shields, and downpipe painted. This is just the beginning of the detailing. I still have to heat stain the downpipe. I also have to pick up some gray panel lines accent for all of the undertray panel lines. I did put a quick wash on the underbody to breakup the orange and add some depth. 

This is coming together pretty quickly, I wish my Hobby Design Wheels were already here, lol. 

0B93C182-6CAA-4808-98B7-F89E7019CEBD.jpeg

5BCCFFA1-7AE8-4616-8723-B9B1584C9B12.jpeg

13B53CF3-D502-42A7-86C4-2BBC8272F2DB.jpeg

C531316B-46F5-49A4-ADCE-C1F7065C5165.jpeg

2 minutes ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thank you very much. I am using Tamiya Fine White primer on anything that is body color, and Tamiya Fine Gray primer on all the darker colored parts. 

Thank you, and one more question if you don’t mind. Rattle can or AB? I ask because I use Tamiya rattle can primer and am just at the very start of wanting to airbrush color. The wheels of my Lancia Stratos and the back panel were airbrushed, (currently in the Workbench section), and now I have been bitten by the AB bug...lol.

Thanks for the info and I can’t wait to see your next update!

18 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

Thank you, and one more question if you don’t mind. Rattle can or AB? I ask because I use Tamiya rattle can primer and am just at the very start of wanting to airbrush color. The wheels of my Lancia Stratos and the back panel were airbrushed, (currently in the Workbench section), and now I have been bitten by the AB bug...lol.

Thanks for the info and I can’t wait to see your next update!

It is rattle canned. I airbrush everything that I can with the exception of primers. They still work well in the can, I just warm them up to raise the pressure in them so they flow well. 

The airbrush was the best investment I’ve ever made as well. I wonder now how I went so long without one. 

Scott, I think I will be right behind you on this topic. I am just starting out in airbrushing. I am starting out learning Tamiya bottle acrylics. I will also learn acrylic craft paint. You would be surprised by what is being done with these cheap paints. Fingernail polish and Alclad will be next. Zero, Gravity and Splash will also be tackled this year. At least that is the plan...?????‍♂️

Back on track, I am really looking forward to seeing your work. I really appreciate that you take your time and explain what and how you are doing things. The photos help me tremendously. Keep up the great work! 

9 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Scott, I think I will be right behind you on this topic. I am just starting out in airbrushing. I am starting out learning Tamiya bottle acrylics. I will also learn acrylic craft paint. You would be surprised by what is being done with these cheap paints. Fingernail polish and Alclad will be next. Zero, Gravity and Splash will also be tackled this year. At least that is the plan...?????‍♂️

Back on track, I am really looking forward to seeing your work. I really appreciate that you take your time and explain what and how you are doing things. The photos help me tremendously. Keep up the great work! 

John,  No problem at all. I like to be able to help when I can. All of the members here are really great when it comes to answering questions.

I have yet to spray fingernail polish or cheap craft paints. Everything I spray is Tamiya Acrylics, Decanted Tamiya TS Sprays, Alclad, Gravity, ScaleFinishes, Zero, Splash Paints, or SpazStix Chrome.  So far I out of all of these I like Gravity and Scale Finishes the most.  Jameston (ScaleFinishes) has it down pat when it comes to mixing his paints. I have yet to get one that is "too hot."  Gravity is great and lays down awesome as well.  But you have to be careful with Zero Paints, some are mixed super hot and will eat up a paintjob or plastic....I speak from experience, lol. Splash is sort of hot as well, so you have to go super thin like you are spraying Zero, but it is forgiving.

Thanks for following!

1 minute ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thank you Dann.  This one is moving along pretty quickly. I guess anything will compared to the Pennzoil Skyline build that I just completed, lol. Too many details slowed me down but were worth it.

It sure was!!...i build alot of really detailed things, but i almost think that i build even more fun -simplistic things...need them.

28 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

It sure was!!...i build alot of really detailed things, but i almost think that i build even more fun -simplistic things...need them.

Your builds are always awesome and inspire me to be better.  I wish I had the scratch making ability that you do.  And you are right, the small simple builds pop with added detail for sure.

12 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

John,  No problem at all. I like to be able to help when I can. All of the members here are really great when it comes to answering questions.

I have yet to spray fingernail polish or cheap craft paints. Everything I spray is Tamiya Acrylics, Decanted Tamiya TS Sprays, Alclad, Gravity, ScaleFinishes, Zero, Splash Paints, or SpazStix Chrome.  So far I out of all of these I like Gravity and Scale Finishes the most.  Jameston (ScaleFinishes) has it down pat when it comes to mixing his paints. I have yet to get one that is "too hot."  Gravity is great and lays down awesome as well.  But you have to be careful with Zero Paints, some are mixed super hot and will eat up a paintjob or plastic....I speak from experience, lol. Splash is sort of hot as well, so you have to go super thin like you are spraying Zero, but it is forgiving.

Thanks for following!

Sorry for my rambling earlier, I just am getting excited about jumping into the airbrushing aspect of this hobby!  I really, really appreciate your answering my questions.  And again, can't wait to see your next update and am looking forward to seeing that body under paint.  That color is gorgeous!