Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wanna Be Modeler!

Hi Chris here from Colorado, I am new to this forum, same story i built models as a kid and then life happened and BAM! here i am an old man, now that i have trouble seeing small parts i have decided to start building models again (go figure) anyway i have gained some inspiration from all the modelers awesome builds on here so i will build again!! 

Welcome, Chris. We're never too old to have a happy childhood. Consider getting a magnifier. I've had my Optivisor since I was in my 30s and wouldn't build without it. There are other brands and styles of magnifiers, too.

4 hours ago, chepp said:

Welcome, Chris. We're never too old to have a happy childhood. Consider getting a magnifier. I've had my Optivisor since I was in my 30s and wouldn't build without it. There are other brands and styles of magnifiers, too.

Agreed!

I couldn't continue in this hobby without lighted magnification!

I just use a cheap desk top magnifier.

Steve

Welcome, Chris! I also use a magnifier. I have a swing arm lamp with a circular fluorescent bulb, and there is a powerful magnifying lens in the center of it. I have a lot of light trained onto the work bench, too.  It helps to brighten up those small parts, so these old eyes can see them! LoL

On 1/15/2020 at 9:32 PM, chepp said:

Rich pleasure to meet you, i do have a magnifier that works pretty good. keep on model truckin!

We all have our challenges but somehow still being able to build models comes with a certain sense of satisfaction attached. I may not be able to run,jump of any number of other things that I used to do but being able to create something cool from a pile of styrene bits gives me reason to smile. I plan on doing it as long as I am able.

Welcome Chris.  I need to get a magnifier as well, but I use a pair of those cheap magnifying glasses from the drugstore over my regular glasses.  It works well, but don’t try to get up and go to the bathroom without taking them off!  Trust me on this.....

• 4 weeks later...