Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/35 military tractor

Not that I want to give you any expensive ideas...(cough)...

But I'm pretty sure a resin company makes a 1/35 scale kit of the Navy's Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS).  Combine it with that HEMTT and you get this monster, which looks like something right out of a "Mad Max" movie. Several countries have similar anti-aircraft systems, including South Korea, China and I think Saudi Arabia and a few others.

HEMTT_Phalanx.jpg

4 hours ago, Jim B said:

Never seen one of those, Mike.  That's pretty impressive.  We used the HEMTT M983 tractors, M978A2 tankers, & M977 Large Repair Parts Transporter in the PATRIOT battery I was in.

Thanks! I helped develop interactive electronic training and tech manuals for the HEMTTs and other military trucks.  One of our first projects was the M984 HEMTT Wrecker.  An impressive beast. If that thing can't get your vehicle going or haul it away, it's probably staying where it is.

I worked as a civilian in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia from 1989-92. So I had a ringside seat for all the materiel pouring in during Desert Shield/Storm.  Jeddah's on the west coast, so not near the fighting.  But it's a major port and air hub, so a lot of stuff came thru there. And went out. I could sit on the deck of my house in an American compound, and look up into the wheel wells of B-52's taking off.  

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Thanks! I helped develop interactive electronic training and tech manuals for the HEMTTs and other military trucks.  One of our first projects was the M984 HEMTT Wrecker.  An impressive beast. If that thing can't get your vehicle going or haul it away, it's probably staying where it is.

I worked as a civilian in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia from 1989-92. So I had a ringside seat for all the materiel pouring in during Desert Shield/Storm.  Jeddah's on the west coast, so not near the fighting.  But it's a major port and air hub, so a lot of stuff came thru there. And went out. I could sit on the deck of my house in an American compound, and look up into the wheel wells of B-52's taking off.  

That's pretty cool.  I was in Riyadh & Dhahran.  Two "garden spots", let me tell ya.

Thanks for everyone's input. That phalanx truck is pretty cool. I was in the Coast Guard, and the second ship I was on had a phalanx on the fantail. We called it the "seawhiz", for CIWS (close in weapon system). It was broken most of the time. I've never seen a HEMTT in person, so my accuracy may not be perfect. This trumpeter kit is great, very detailed. A lot of the decals are unuseable however. I think some things were lost in translation, and some of them are jibberish. I'll just leave them off. Unless someone knows of an accurate set for these. I did a brief search, and didn't come up with anything. Anyways, I love this kit, and I'm having fun with it so far.

There are lots of aftermarket decal manufacturers for 1/35 armor models (that's where the money is), so I'm sure you'll be able to find something.  Archer Fine Transfers & Echelon Fine Details come to mind.  Post a pic of the Trumpeter decals.  We have a bunch of "old" Army guys here, so maybe we'll be able to help.

You're right.  Some of those decals are strange.  The data plates, tire pressure, dash gauges seem alright.  Those bumper numbers look kind of strange.  I think the "SET ENGLEMANN" is supposed to be SGT or SSG.  Our unit put the driver's & vehicle commander's name on the top windshield over their respective seats.  Many of the small decals look ok.  Where is the CARC decal supposed to go?  If I remember correctly, the stencil said CARC with a date below it to know when the vehicle was CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) painted.  Were vehicles CARC painted in the Coast Guard?

Wow , I never looked that close at most of the stencils in the kits..but they definitely messed up a few like Jim B said.  

Our unit had the driver / TC names along the bottom of windshield,  and was frequently changed as people ETSd out . I remember the CARC stencils , but not where they went . 

Theres a site w tech manuals and stencil data shown, Jim b probably recalls it offhand 

10 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

There's a site w tech manuals and stencil data shown, Jim b probably recalls it offhand 

Actually, I don't; but I believe I know to which you refer.

Wait, you were in the Army?  What unit?

Edited by Jim B

Archer Fine Transfers has some better decals.  Here's their generic set of 1/35 vehicle markings.  Bison and Echelon are other companies making modern 1/35 vehicle decals, but I didn't see any on-topic markings from them with a quick search.

Description of the Archer decals: "Sufficient markings are included on this two-sheet set to cover most of the major items carried on US Armored vehicles from 1945 to present, to include Korea and Vietnam. Also, bumper numbers are included for most vehicle types and applications. Typical nomenclature is included for vehicle dashboards, inside and outside hood applications, tire pressure markings, and basic warnings for tactical vehicles. Comes with instructions and history."

https://www.archertransfers.com/AR35001W.html

aft35001b.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

The CARC decal goes on the inside of driver's door. I searched for photos, and found a few "walk around" photo sets. I verified it this way

m977a4_046_of_221.thumb.jpg.435b7a828e9ef5ccde1b2a258c121cbf.jpg

I agree, it should be SGT Engelmann. I got rid of the space, and used hydraulic oil decal. Couldn't use Diesee Fuel, drain air tank saile, allcu for expansion, etc. I found that a lot of the decal placement as per instructions are incorrect also. For instance, it shows the decal for the gear shifter as going underneath the dashboard on passenger side. Besides the decals, this is a great kit

On 4/13/2020 at 5:35 PM, Jim B said:

You're right.  Some of those decals are strange.  The data plates, tire pressure, dash gauges seem alright.  Those bumper numbers look kind of strange.  I think the "SET ENGLEMANN" is supposed to be SGT or SSG.  Our unit put the driver's & vehicle commander's name on the top windshield over their respective seats.  Many of the small decals look ok.  Where is the CARC decal supposed to go?  If I remember correctly, the stencil said CARC with a date below it to know when the vehicle was CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) painted.  Were vehicles CARC painted in the Coast Guard?

Our vehicles in the Coast Guard weren't specially painted. They were just factory vehicles. Our ships had a "Countermeasure Washdown System" which was just a bunch of sprinklers that had sea water pumped through them. We used the sea water to rinse off any chemical/biological agents