Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using 1/24 scale Bonnet/Hood Pins

Hey guys I have a question in regards to using photo etch hood pins. I recently bought the Tamiya porsche 993 GT2 kit. It has molded in hood pins on the hood. I want to sand those off and use photo etch as a replacement. My question is, do I need to drill holes into the bonnet where the pins will go? Or do you simply bend the photo etch in such a manner that you just glue them in place?

Only because I don't have that kit, don't know how to answer.  It would help to have at least one picture.

There are several designs for hood pins, that's why a picture would help.  I've used Detail Master's set, which you do drill a hole for the pin.  The 959 Paris Dakar I built had a totally different design, and discovered the instructions were wrong, no hole.  There is another design that is simply flat, no drilling.

33 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Only because I don't have that kit, don't know how to answer.  It would help to have at least one picture.

There are several designs for hood pins, that's why a picture would help.  I've used Detail Master's set, which you do drill a hole for the pin.  The 959 Paris Dakar I built had a totally different design, and discovered the instructions were wrong, no hole.  There is another design that is simply flat, no drilling.

As Kurt mentioned.  There are different hood pin sets, especially for foreign cars.  Some require no hole.  The other point is that if the body part on the model is not to be opened, there are options to simply glue on a hood pin without drilling. 

22 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

As Kurt mentioned.  There are different hood pin sets, especially for foreign cars.  Some require no hole.  The other point is that if the body part on the model is not to be opened, there are options to simply glue on a hood pin without drilling. 

Right there does seem to be different types. I personally would like to avoid drilling into the bonnet but I looked up the detail master set Kurt mentioned. It looks pretty similar to the ones used on this car. I just wonder if there is a good aftermarket set that can simulate this without drilling. I have a pin vise so I can drill it if I must. But I wanted to see if there was someone that makes this style without that being necessary. 

4 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Right there does seem to be different types. I personally would like to avoid drilling into the bonnet but I looked up the detail master set Kurt mentioned. It looks pretty similar to the ones used on this car. I just wonder if there is a good aftermarket set that can simulate this without drilling. I have a pin vise so I can drill it if I must. But I wanted to see if there was someone that makes this style without that being necessary. 

Aber and KA Models have sets that can possibly get you by.  Then there is the option of looking for the chromed ones from something like a Revell Hemi Dart, if someone did not use them.