Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Porsche on eBay

It's nice work, but a little overpriced. Here's how I would break it down.

$150 kit

$500 Scale Motor Sports parts

$6000 Labor @ $30 per hour

$300 Paint/supplies

I come up $6,950 for the model. I figured he threw down another $1000 for profit. But the buy it now for $12,000 is an absolute joke, even though 10% is going to a charity. I could see someone buying this for about $5,000 but that's a stretch. This is just my opinion, though.

;) Unless that rascal will start up and drive, this guys ego is bigger that that ridiculous price! Charity or not, NO models worth THAT price unless its a Wingrove model, HAND formed an all! These guys just want an ego stroke and rip folks off! C'mon, guy's be for real! Hope whoever is sellin it comes back to reality.Regardless of whoever built it, it's still a PLASTIC model and ANYONE can build a plastic model, Granted it may be a beautiful build, but it ain't worth 12 grand.And someones nuckin futs if the think it is!PERIOD! :lol:

I knew when I saw the 935 on ebay that this topic would come up....so I had to chime in for what it's worth....so here goes. The model is very nice; and NO, I don't know the builder; and yes, I think there should be better photos, to show off the work...If I am the buyer; I really wnant to see what went into it. I think most modelers will see it from a builders standpoint; not the view of the car collector who seeks the "Objects De Art" for their personal collection; to one up their buddies.... I personally don't see why the builder shouldn't ask what THEY think it's worth....if they end up paying $500 in ebay fees after re-listing it a bunch of times; perhaps it's "value" might be readjusted. I also know firsthand what it takes to build these cars; as I build quite a few of them for my own customers.... And not to start a big fracus; but I have to disagree with you George; NOT anyone can build a plastic model; not well enough to make a living at it; or compete with other modelers around the country....that's like saying "anyone" can do brain surgery...(as an analogy only)...you may be able to do it...but your patient may lobotomized when it's over...(LOL) . The peolpe that WOULD spend the money on this type of model are the very people that CAN"T build the models (for whatever reason); and thus the value of the model becomes greater to them....just my two cents........matt

:D OK Here goes. IF YOU CAN READ THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU CAN BUILD A MODEL!!!! It's NOT rocket science! Yes I agree that some ARE MUCH better builders than others but the fact remains, its not that hard! Thats why they make snappers, to show beginners how todo it!Now as far as what someone charges for a completed build, thats a WHOLE NUTHER BALLGAME!.This was bought up once before when I commented on a build someone was sellin on the bay a while back, an thought 700 was a might "pricey" for a 1/25th model kit.I understand all the work that goes into building a first rate contest winner, even IF I've never built one! I got eyes, I can see the detail, and understand the time and effort to get it "just right". I've been doin it for most of my life, and even though I've never won a show(the only time I entered one, I got 2nd place AND my model was stolen)It wasn't to actually win, but to show off what I made. I was about 12 and I was proud of it.Would I have sold it for 12 thousand? Heck yeah! I'm no fool, but was it worth it? NO.And my ma probly woulda gave me heck for "stealin" from someone.But as they say, opinions are like a$$holes an EVERYBODYS got one! This ones mine, and if folks don't agree with me, thats ok too, my feelins won't be hurt.And thats enuff from me, about this! :D

:D OK Here goes. IF YOU CAN READ THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU CAN BUILD A MODEL!!!! It's NOT rocket science! Yes I agree that some ARE MUCH better builders than others but the fact remains, its not that hard! Thats why they make snappers, to show beginners how todo it!Now as far as what someone charges for a completed build, thats a WHOLE NUTHER BALLGAME!.This was bought up once before when I commented on a build someone was sellin on the bay a while back, an thought 700 was a might "pricey" for a 1/25th model kit.I understand all the work that goes into building a first rate contest winner, even IF I've never built one! I got eyes, I can see the detail, and understand the time and effort to get it "just right". I've been doin it for most of my life, and even though I've never won a show(the only time I entered one, I got 2nd place AND my model was stolen)It wasn't to actually win, but to show off what I made. I was about 12 and I was proud of it.Would I have sold it for 12 thousand? Heck yeah! I'm no fool, but was it worth it? NO.And my ma probly woulda gave me heck for "stealin" from someone.But as they say, opinions are like a$$holes an EVERYBODYS got one! This ones mine, and if folks don't agree with me, thats ok too, my feelins won't be hurt.And thats enuff from me, about this! :lol:

I have been watching this thread and find it very interesting. I was going to stay out of it and just watch, but saying that anyone can build a model was a bit much, George - I think you really oversimplify what is going on here. Yes, anyone who can read instructions can build a model, but it goes far beyond that. Don't short change your fellow modelers. Reading instructions and building a model is exactly the same as painting with "paint by numbers" . Anyone who can follow instruction can do it. But if they never get beyond that, they will never have a fine work of art. It dosn't even come close in process or skill. True artists take years and in some cases, a lifetime to aquire the skills to create fine works of art. The highest levels of skill are rare and quite valuable to many.

The art in that model lies in what was done that is not in the instructions. The placement of hundreds of little rivets, nuts and bolts and other scratch built parts that match the placement on the original car. Glueing things on in such a fashion that they don't look glued on. Creating the illusion of metal from plastic. Creating textures and shadows with paint. Scratch building pieces not included in the kit. In short the artists eye and hand. If you follow the instructions, you get a nice model. If you go beyond that and mimic the apparance of the original 1:1 car it takes far more skill and technique. Skills that many will never take the time or have the ablity to develop.

Your comments on value can be applied accross many diciplines. Can a bottle of fine wine be worth hundreds of thousands? Not to the average diner in a resturant. Is a Ferrari worth millions? Not to the proud owner of a new Yugo. Is a Picasso worth millions? How much is a diamond woth? ... a rare coin, etc, etc. To the discriminating buyer, the finest is always worth having. Those who appreciate the minutia find the differance worth the money. Those who don't find it a waste of assets.

One more analogy. In collecting any collectable, the last 10% costs more that the first 90%. What I mean is that getting that collectable vehicle to be finally perfect, achieving the last 10% of accuracy is the most costly. Example. The other founder of Microsoft(not Bill Gates) collects WWII warbird. He restores them to original, from the factory, condition. Modern wire is readily availible and quite inexpensive, but he spends large sums to have the last place on earth that makes cotton loom wrapped wire, make the wire for his aircraft. Does the aircraft fly differant because of it? No, but that is not the point. It pushed the cost up beyond what most people can imagine, but he has the assets and desire to do this, so more power to him. I love to see truely authentic war birds flying.

Brendan - In costing the project out, you really missed a lot. Take another look at the piece and you will see it is mounted on a rather sophisticated stand. Paduka wood with custom cut mirrors and brass mounts for the chassis, wheels and body. The Porsche emblem was from a dealer and cost $90. The wood alone was $100 not to mention the time to build it. There is a lexan cover was $120. Oh, yes, and I don't work for $30 an hour. Here in California a skilled tradesmen start at $50 an hour and I value my time at more than that.

In general, I will say that what most people miss is it that this is an art form. Like any art form there are people who putter with it as a hobby strictly for their personal enjoyment, and are happy to throw a model up on the shelf. Then there are others who devote time and effort to replicating a piece in minute detail. Both are art forms, but the final product is significantly differant. Differant in both obvious and subtile ways. That subtilty is the most significant. Don't underestimate it.

I spend a lot of time devloping and practicing my craft, but I am no Gerald Wingrove(though I have read his books and learned a lot from them). Is that kit worth what he is asking for it? It will be if someone wants it, but that is beyond my control.

One final comment - I don't do this for a living. It is my passion and I really enjoy the thrill of doing the research, devloping new skills, and the art of creation. Many parts on the models I build get done several times, until I have them right. Frankly, the fun of modeling is in building. Once a piece is done, it is of little value to me. Let others enjoy it. The man who purchased this from me has enjoyed it, and now feels it is time to allow others to enjoy it. Good for him, and I hope the new owner enjoys it as much.

Jake-off - Yes, you can insure it for that. I had my Tamiya/con winner stolen and the insurance company did not blink an eye at my claim for $10,000.

For those who would like a closer look, here is a photo of the engine, before it went into the chassis.

:) Pete J

Edited by Pete J.

Brendan - In costing the project out, you really missed a lot. Take another look at the piece and you will see it is mounted on a rather sophisticated stand. Paduka wood with custom cut mirrors and brass mounts for the chassis, wheels and body. The Porsche emblem was from a dealer and cost $90. The wood alone was $100 not to mention the time to build it. There is a lexan cover was $120. Oh, yes, and I don't work for $30 an hour. Here in California a skilled tradesmen start at $50 an hour and I value my time at more than that.

:) Pete J

I was just doing a general breakdown of the price; just trying to get a rounded number for what he has down as his starting bid. But this type of item is usually done on commission or as contract work so it's usually not charged by an hourly rate. I have dealt with companies such as Toyota, Chevy, and Ford, and when I have built for them, we had a contract for a set price, usually around $3000 as a starting point. You never truly get the price for the amount of work put in.

Was digging through my old photos of the build and found this shot of the engine. It shows the detail a little better. Also included a shot of the rims that are from an artical I am writting. I think this shows the complexity of the build. Each rim has 28 parts. The brakes have a total of over 1800 holes that have to be drilled with a pinvise. Hope you like it. Pete

Edited by Pete J.