Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Review! AMT 1961 Ford Skyliner Annual

Something I never thought they made, my dad had one of these in real life back in the late 70s. It was red with a red interior, six and a three on the tree, and poverty hubcaps. I used to drive it around for him. I remember it was LOW, I pretty much towered over the roof (and I'm about 5' 10"). Even with the six it scooted fairly well so to have a 352 in it would have been very scary. I may have to paint this red in tribute to the real one but it will have a v8.

AMT_1961_Ford_Skyliner_01a.jpg

More information at the link below. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Pictures of box, box contents, and instructions here

5 hours ago, RDean58 said:

Something I never thought they made, my dad had one of these in real life back in the late 70s. It was red with a red interior, six and a three on the tree, and poverty hubcaps. I used to drive it around for him. I remember it was LOW, I pretty much towered over the roof (and I'm about 5' 10"). Even with the six it scooted fairly well so to have a 352 in it would have been very scary. I may have to paint this red in tribute to the real one but it will have a v8.

AMT_1961_Ford_Skyliner_01a.jpg

More information at the link below. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Pictures of box, box contents, and instructions here

Looking at your pictures of the parts trees I notice you have the duel quad and Paxton Supercharger on the tree. These were good looking cars and they did sit very low even stock. When you build this please post some pictures along the way. 

The Skyliner name was used on the 1954 Crestline and 1955-56 Fairlane Crown Victoria with the glass roof insert and the 1957-59 Fairlane 500 and Galaxie Retractable Hard Top...the Galaxie name was introduced in 1959 and the cars had both Fairlane 500 and Galaxie emblems.

• 2 years later...

The '61

On 5/8/2020 at 1:15 PM, SfanGoch said:

Sunliners and Skyliners (production ended after the 1959 MY

At least the Sunliner (convertibles) was still going strong in 1961. As seen with this annual box end.

AMT_1961_Ford_Sunliner.jpg