Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 galaxie

10 hours ago, Mark said:

The hardtop kit never had the trunk lid lettering.

Mark,

People have complained on this forum about the missing letters.  The squareback hardtop and convertible promos had the letters, so I just figured the fastback kit originally had the lettering, too.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

It is puzzling why the hardtop didn't have the lettering, but it didn't.  I've got an original annual kit, and it hasn't got it.

Thanks for posting that information, Mark.  I was going to get rid of the kit since I have the convertible promo, but I guess I'll eventually build it.  I've got every year of the big Ford from '48 -'70 except the '56 and '57.  All are AMT except for the Revell '59 Skyliner and PMC '59 Ranchero.  I have to get the '56 and '57.  The '48 - '52 AMT are all 4-door sedan promos.  

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

Thanks for posting that information, Mark.  I was going to get rid of the kit since I have the convertible promo, but I guess I'll eventually build it.  I've got every year of the big Ford from '48 -'70 except the '56 and '57.  All are AMT except for the Revell '59 Skyliner and PMC '59 Ranchero.  I have to get the '56 and '57.  The '48 - '52 AMT are all 4-door sedan promos.  

I would think the AMT '56 and '57 Ford kits should be easy to find. Round 2 has reissued these kits several times. They both are great kits and offer many build options. The '56 can be built as a Crown Victoria with or without the Glass Roof option. Happy hunting. 

David,

I figured I would wait for the next reissue of those kits.  The '57 has opening doors.  The '56 would be kind of unusual to do as a Crown Vic on one side, and a regular hardtop on the other, but I'll probably buy 2 just to do both versions.  By the way, the AMT promos for '56 were the convertible and a four-door hardtop.  For '57, they did Fairlane hardtop and convertible and Custom 300 2-door sedan.  The 300 is less common and goes for the most money.  

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

David,

I figured I would wait for the next reissue of those kits.  The '57 has opening doors.  The '56 would be kind of unusual to do as a Crown Vic on one side, and a regular hardtop on the other, but I'll probably buy 2 just to do both versions.  By the way, the AMT promos for '56 were the convertible and a four-door hardtop.  For '57, they did Fairlane hardtop and convertible and Custom 300 2-door sedan.  The 300 is less common and goes for the most money.  

I wasn't aware of the promos, especially the 300. As a young man I owned two different '57 Fords at different times. I had a '57 Convertible that was a low mileage 1 owner car. A few years later I picked up a super clean Mainliner 2 door with the 312 and 3 speed Overdrive. The collage student I bought it from had even wired the secondary's in the carburetor shut to save gas. I later changed jobs and one of my new customers was the original owner.    

D207CD11-8728-428D-87D0-565305FFC0B1.jpeg.933a40ef0533f06087e7b3d21e7c0553.jpeg

As said, the 56 and 57 kits are very nice. Created years ago and the tooling has held up well so they’ve been reissued over and over, through the years. Don’t pay too much for them.

The 56 here was built by Harry and I bought it from his daughter. The 57 was built by me nearly 30 years ago when I got back to the hobby.

David,

What a strange coincidence that is to have accidentally found the original owner of your car.  At least the guy you bought it from didn't swap the carb and manifold!

Tom,

I've read they were good kits.  Those models look great!  It's nice to have the '56 that Harry built.  I'm going to paint the '57 to match the medium tan and dark brown my aunt and uncle bought new.  We had a '57 Bel Air hardtop at the same time.   

16 hours ago, Motor City said:

David,

What a strange coincidence that is to have accidentally found the original owner of your car.  At least the guy you bought it from didn't swap the carb and manifold!

Tom,

I've read they were good kits.  Those models look great!  It's nice to have the '56 that Harry built.  I'm going to paint the '57 to match the medium tan and dark brown my aunt and uncle bought new.  We had a '57 Bel Air hardtop at the same time.   

I was living in the San Bernardino National Forest mountain area in southern California at the time. You could swing a dead cat over your head and know just about anybody you hit. I must apologize to all of the cat lovers out there who happen to read this. The remark about swinging a dead cat is a very old expression and no animals where really harmed. 

Edited by espo